Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ebb & Flow - A Winter Experience
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What's wrong with your photos? They do not have to be art works, they have to illustrate what you saw and they are doing just that perfectly :thumbs_up:
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For some or other reason my wife refers to it as a woodpecker. But African Hoopoes are also seen regularly. Beautiful to listen to their deep "hoop-hoop" sound. But the Forktailed Drongo's really crept under my skin. As with the case of the guinea fowl, one can see that these little guys are used to being fed by the holidaymakers. You will see one sitting on our dish washing rack on the top photo (previous post) like this one too:

While my wife was on the computer (unfortunately she had some work to do from time to time) these two little fellows flew into the caravan to come and steal some cheese that was left over from a sandwich she enjoyed. Although not as tame as the Drongo's, the Cape bulbuls were also fairly undaunted in their actions to beg for food. So was the little Cape Wagtails that would walk right underneath your chair - not even slightly bothered by your presence.

Not a single day passed without hearing (and seeing) the Blackheaded Oriole's 'pooodleeoo'. What a beautiful bird!!

In the north-eastern corner of South Camp you will always find Olive Thrushes on the lawn. On two occasions I saw the most gorgeous bird amongst the thrushes. But just a very short glimpse of it. And then one day I took my binoculars and sat off for that corner - hopeful to see it again. And luck was on my side. Very shy, it kept on trying to hide behind a branch or leaves. But fortunately my patience (which I am not known for) paid off and I could identify my first ever Chorister Robin (no photo unfortunately). Cape Robin is also seen regularly.

Fiscal Flycatcher, Cape White-eye, Fiscal Shrike and Southern Boubou also played a role in remembering the 10 days at Ebb & Flow as a bird lover's paradise. Although I never saw bokmakierie, we heard their duet everyday. It was an eye-opener to watch the craftsmanship of the Cape Weaver males, building their nests opposite Reception. It is actually unbelievable to see their skills in "knitting & weaving" their masterpieces.

I find rest for my soul in places like Kruger and Kgalagadi. But if you need rest for soul, mind and body - visit Ebb & Flow. I don't think I'll like to be there in the December/January or the Easter holiday period. But if you are in a position to visit in the off-season, you'll hardly find a better place just to switch off. Looking forward to my 43rd visit to Karoo at the end of September.

Last edited by Stoffel on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Lovery report and for a bad photographer some nice shots :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:43 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us, Stoffel :D

I agree with you about rather visiting here in the off-season.
(It must be very popular in December/January !)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Stoffel, I am really enjoying this 8) I agree with the others, there is nothing what so ever worng with your photos, in actual fact I think that your colours are stunning.

Thank you :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Thank you Stoffel. I enjoyed your report as it brings back memories when we visited Wildernes as day visitors. We did the hiking to the waterfalls as you enter the hiking trail north of the park, there is a big tree and you find quite a lot of loeries there. You cannot hear them fly, but they make a distinct noise. :thumbs_up: Next time, we will stay there in one of the log cabins - look so cosy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
43rd visit to Karoo
Not bad :thumbs_up: It must be some kind of record, I am sure :lol: You had plenty of lovely bird sightings :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
Quote:
43rd visit to Karoo
Not bad :thumbs_up: It must be some kind of record, I am sure :lol: You had plenty of lovely bird sightings :dance: :dance:

Most of the visits were 1 night stay-overs on our way up and/or down from Kruger but also camped for longer stays (up to 13 nights).

Yes, I have had some good bird sightings in the park of which the highlight was probably watching the Black Eagles feeding their chick in the nest at Rooivalle.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Kaapsedraai wrote:
We did the hiking to the waterfalls ...... Next time, we will stay there in one of the log cabins - look so cosy.

Our first stay at Ebb & Flow (March this year) was in a Log Cabin in South Camp. We enjoyed it. We then rented a canoe from Eden Adventures (in the park) and paddled upstream till where you reach the little pontoon. From there we walked up to the waterfall with the Giant Kingfisher Trail - what a great experience! We saw bushbuck and baboon during our walk and lots of Knysna Louries.

The pontoon:

The pools (where you can swim) just below the waterfall:

Our log cabin:

A view over Ebb & Flow (South Camp) from the Hoekwil road:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am sure you recognize this :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I do. Yours is a much brighter picture, but look at the difference in the water colour. While we were there during our recent visit, we noticed the water becoming more clear during the 10 days we stayed.

One of the local workers told me that there's quite big sea fish in the river - spotted grunter, white steenbras and kob (kabeljou). You are allowed to fish in the river if you have the necessary permit.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The state of the water looks much better now :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 am 

So that's what all the other places look like that I never got to see. I knew there was a pontoon somewhere in the area, but had no idea where. Re-inforces the idea that I have to go back.

Thanks for the photos Stoffel.