Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knysna Heads
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 pm 

Hi There,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me where I can read up about the law regarding the entering and exiting the Knysna heads by boat.

I am a recreational fisherman from Cape Town and would like to know if I am allowed out the Knysna Heads on my vessel that is seaworthed to 5mn but only has one engine?

Somebody in Knysna mentioned to me that you are not allowed out the knysna heads with one motor?

can anybody shed some light on the topic?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Knysna Heads
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Spearo-- Try posting on sealine.co.za You should come right there. I used to live there and have seen the Heads as flat as a pancake and also completely closed out. One motor if its flat as a pancake would technically be fine as is your 5NM rating.I have done it on one motor but it I am a fair-weather fisherman :) But what if theres a stall or water in your fuel or your prop wraps and you are at the mercy of the currents and there is swell due? According to the law and even your insurance company probably says technically you are fine on one motor within 5 NM regardless of venue. Common sense though in that narrowish gap might say otherwise IMHO esp with the strong currents from the tides.Use your discretion . -------------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 am 

Hi AjayB,

Thanks for the reply, I am also a fairly fair weathered fisherman and spearo, so would really only be going out the heads when it is very flat during my holiday there.

So there is no law prohibiting it?

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Morning Spearo1234.

A few years ago we did a few scuba dives at Knysna. We were taken out by the dive operator and exit the lagoon through the heads. (Well I think that is the only way :lol: )

Anyway, I think there was a radio room where boats must report to and request permission to exit the lagoon area, etc. The boat operators then reported back when they arrived back in the lagoon. The day we went diving the sea was very rough.

I don't think it is safe to go on the ocean with one motor and I have never seen a boat with one motor transporting divers or sport fishermen in the open ocean. I don't know if the operators at the Knysna "harbour" will allow you to exit the lagoon with one motor or not, I don't even know if they are there anymore! :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Spearo- Sorry I cant give you a definite answer. I lived there quite a while back so maybe give NSRI station a call just to confirm.Im sure theyll be able to tell you. Let us know what the outcome is :)