Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tsitsikamma: Where's good picnic spot & 2 hours easy hike?
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:25 pm 

Hello,

I'm a first timer to SAN Parks. I have already used the Frontiers Park "room" of this site and found the people there gave me really helpful and useful advice - so I'm hoping that you guys here in the Garden Route section will be just as good! :)

My partner and I will be driving from Addo Elephant Park to Knysna (Phantom Forest Eco Reserve) . I wanted to stop off at either Storms River Mouth or Nature's Valley for a lunch-time picnic and a light/easy hike for a couple of hours...needless to say with great views!

I couldn't make out from the Tsitsikamma National Park official site, exactly where one can access and park as a day visitor (as opposed to someone staying at one of the rest camps). :?

Anyone got any suggestions, ideas and advice please?

Cheers

Andy

Post subject: Re: Tsitsikamma: Where's good picnic spot & 2 hours easy hike?
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi DevonBloke,

I'd recommend Storms River Mouth. Day visitors use the same entrance as overnighters, and park near the restaurant (at the eastern end of the camp).

If you want great views, I suggest to walk to the suspension bridge, go across the river, then follow the trail that climbs up the other side. At the top and along a bit is a lookout platform with ocean views which would make a great picnic spot if the wind isn't too strong.

If it's a strong wind, start the return journey and have your picnic when the trail goes round the corner, bringing into view the three suspension bridges.

Regards,
Roger

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

At Storms river mouth there is another option - walk in the opposite direction to the suspension bridge , thus towards the Otter trail , there is a waterfall about an hours good walk from the starting point alongside the oceanettes on the western extremity of the built up area .
Only Otter trail participants may proceed further than the waterfall ..

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm not certain whether its inside the SANpark, but there's a nice hike called Salt River Cove near Nature's Valley.

As ndloti suggested, the start of the Otter Trail is a great option, but it may take you a bit longer than 2 hours (it took me longer last time if I remember correctly)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:44 pm 

The walk from the Oceanettes to the waterfall is signposed as "three and a half hours return". It took us more than that, but we explored caves and stuff along the way.

I think a fit person moving at a brisk pace could do it in two hours easily enough, but with not much time for a picnic at the waterfall.

Regards,
Roger

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:12 pm 

Thanks for your advice and suggestion. We'll take it! We're also thinking of doing "Monkey Land"/ "Birds of Eden" the following day. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Andy

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 pm 

We enjoyed those places (and Monkeyland is promoted by SANParks on their Tsitsikamma pages). If you're doing both, it's cheaper if you get a combined ticket. Don't forget to print off the 10% discount voucher from the Monkeyland home page before you go.

Regards,
Roger