SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Firefly wrote:
It sux that the trail to the suspension bridge is still closed. I am in the tourism industry and I know that a lot of people are very disappointed when they get to the park and find that they can't walk to the bridge.

I went down to camp at Natures Valley a couple of weeks back and chatted to a guy that works the info office at the Storms River Bridge and he said apparently a lot of tour vehicles turn around at the gate when they find out that the trail is still closed. It does not matter what the explanation is for the trail not being repaired yet, it is bad for tourism.

I am sure it is bad for tourism but these kind of disasters cannot be repaired overnight. I have walked that trail a few times and it is not just a case of restoring a wooden walkway ...it is a case of restoring the whole mountainside. That is going to take time especially if all the shrubbery has been burnt . Too much rain can now result in a mudslide which could once again destroy a wooden walkway. A lot of patience is required here....mountainsides do not rejuvenate themselves overnight!

Post subject: Re: Tsitsikamma: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:52 pm 

How far a drive is Tsitsikamma from George ?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:42 pm 

Kisse, it normally takes us about 1:45 to 2hrs towing a caravan.

On a different note, I hear they had some huge waves on Christmas eve, anyone got any photo's?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:42 am 

We are planning to visit some friends/ family members in PE and then driving the Garden Route to Cape Town, stopping halfway in Knysna overnight.

I understand that Knysna is about 3.5 hours from PE and Tsitsikamma National Park is about halfway between them. Would it be feasible/ worthwhile to do a day visit to Tsitsikamma? I'm thinking we could leave PE at 8 am, arrive at Tsitsikamma at 9:30 and leave in the afternoon for Knysna. Are most of the points of interest beyond the basic area where you enter? Alternately, would you recommend stopping at one of the other Garden Route national parks?

Thank you!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:48 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I think Tsitsikamma is a wonderful idea, especially Storms River. An easy day trip from P.E., and you might even have time to do a short walk. The restaurant area, and short trail near the main road by the camp site (with magnificent ocean views), at Storms River is my favourite.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 am 

Hi Sakoro,

We did exactly the same thing as you are planning when we did a tour of South Africa a few years ago.

I think the rope bridge over the river is now reopened? That's a nice trail for a day visitor. There may also be boat rides run by an outside (ie non-SANParks operator) but I think that depends on tides and weather.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

One thing is for sure: You will forever regret if you don't go to the most beautiful place on earth: Stormsriver Mouth!
The trial to the suspention bridge (strong steel cables and very safe) is a very good idea. There is indeed a short boat trip on the river by the Parks Board and it should depart from the bridge. Check for departure times at the restaurant or kiosk just below restaurant.

Enjoy your visit and let us know your impressions.

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:10 pm 

Hmm, I didn't realize that Storms River Mouth was part of Tsitsikamma! I'm glad to hear it is feasible to fit it in. In fact, I seem to remember going to Storms River mouth as a little girl with my grandparents. Thank you so much for the advice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15