Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Swartvlei launching access
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:44 pm 

Hi, every december for the past 21 years I live in sedgefield (the rest of the year I survive in joburg :? ) - recently boating laws have changed and anyone on inland waters is now required to have a mini skippers license (which is a good thing - some people used to be clueless about the rules). However as I have a 2 man rubber duck I decided to get my full skippers so that I could go to see from Swartvlei (as I have seen people do for many years) however I now see that launching is not permitted during a number of months which appear to be linked to school holidays.

My question: Does anyone know why? The swimming part of the beach with the lifeguards is a very good distance away from the boats so I dont believe this can be the issue (otherwise it would be in PLettenberg bay as well?)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:16 am 

And a very speedy reply received! (Sorry about the initial delay)

Quote:
South African National Parks is required to have a license to operate the boat-launching site at Swartvlei beach. (National Environmental Management Act, 1998; Control of vehicles in the Coastal zone) (Regulation 9(1) of GN Regulation 1399 of 21 December 2001 (“the Regulations”)):

A license was granted subject to conditions:

CONDITIONS FOR AUTHORIZATION –

3. Vehicle Access Times

3.1 No vehicles may be permitted to enter the boat-launching site during any school holiday falling in the months of January, March, April, September, October and December.

Kind regards
Nellie Grootendorst
Wilderness National Park

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb