Post subject: Re: Activities
Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Zypresse wrote:
see below my question from the "people with disabilities" - thread

Zypresse wrote:
Can someone help me finding out if / which of the activities, e. g. canoeing, at Wilderness and Tsitsikamma are fit for people in a wheelchair (tetraplegic / high paraplegic)?

I suggest you contact these okes.

Eden.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

With a sweltering temperature of 37.5 it was quite tough to stay out of the shade and away from something cold and wet... Went for a lekka walk on the half-collored kingfisher trail from here. Will post pics later...

Post subject: Narina sightings Wilderness
Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 pm 

There are several places where one can see the Narina.
Unfortunately they are not so vocal right now.
Try walking upriver past the old eb and flow restcamp in the direction of the waterfall.
There is a little glen on the trail where the forest opens up somewhat. Just sit there, keep quiet and watch.I have seen them there on a few mornings.
The big tree on the way to Karatara, just above the Park is also a good place to try.
In fact I find them in the same densely forested kloofs where I hear the Knysna warbler and the Buff spotted flufftail.
They like to be near water in bush where hiding is good.
I also saw the in the rest camp in Natures Valley, near the lapa.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

First snow pics up on the home page: Snow at Wilderness

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:28 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Snow... and now followed by water, and plenty of it. If you are booked in the near future, read this!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:42 pm 

Hi all, First try on this forum, I don't know how it will work.
We're a couple of Swedish amateur botanists coming to SA in February, it's our second time, last time we did the spring flowers on the West Coast, and saw the Big Five in the Kruger, it was amazing. This time we're going for the summer rainfall flora of the Eastern Cape, trying to be a little more relaxed.
We've booked 2 nights at Ebb&Flow South, and I have some questions about where to see flowers. We'll be driving down from Ouldtshorn, which is the best route for flower viewing, to
Wilderness? Guessing that it will take all day, this only leaves us one whole day in Wilderness. Would it be possible to do both the Cape Dune Molerat hike, and Half-collared Kingfisher trail in one day? We also like birds, so we hope to see the Knysna Lourie and some of the Kingfishers, of course we'd love to see a Narina Trogon, but we won't have time to wait around. We'll be going to Tsitsikamma the next day.
Are these the best hikes for flower viewing? Or should we plan something different.
Thanks for any help, I've been reading the forum regularly and enjoyed it.
/Neil

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. Can only answer one of your questions - re the hiking trails - you should be able to get a map at the SANParks reception when you arrive. It shows you a map of all the hikes and distances and times etc. Also indicates bird hides on the route.

Per my map:
Half Collared Kingfisher Trail - 1 to 2.5 hours and total distance 3.8 km.
Cape Dune Molerat Trail - 2 to 3 hours and total distance of 6km if doing route A or 3km doing route B.
(approximate walking times - add time for stops)

So it should be quite easy to do both in one day. I have only done the Giant Kingfisher Trail but we hired a canoe and canoed halfway up the river and then hiked on foot to the waterfall.

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:46 am 

Hi Munchkin, That's a nice cat! One of the worries of going off to SA for 2.5 weeks is that we have to leave our little rascal on his own:-( We have the map which is on this site, it might be the same? We've been thinking about canoeing, but are a little worried about risking the cameras and binnies, if it should turn over. Apart from the waterfall is the vegetation different higher up compared to the half-collar kingfisher loop? We have plenty of waterfalls up here in the frozen North, but we don't have the orchids and birds of Wilderness, maybe just walking the loop will be enough?
Thanks very much for your help.
/Neil

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:yaya: Hi Neil - I see you are online right now. I agree with your views on taking the canoes - too risky with all the gear.

Difficult to answer on the different experiences of the hikes as I have only done the one - and yes, probably the same map on the website that I have. As for us - if there's a waterfall, we want to see it. We did get to see a woodpecker on our hike. (first time I had ever seen one - but don't ask which :redface: )

I would still suggest you chat to the SANParks staff when you get there as I am sure they will be able to give you the best advice on vegetation / birds etc. to be seen on the various routes. Perhaps you might also think of posting your questions under the plants section / thread - you might get a better and more informed response.

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:28 pm 

Hi, Yes I'm here, dreaming of South Africa instead of working!
Thanks for your good advice, we'll certainly ask at the reception. I will also post some flower questions on that forum, and some about Addo on the frontier park forum, but one thing at a time. We didn't see any woodpeckers last time we were in SA, it would be nice to see one. Or kingfishers for that matter, but we were in the wrong biotopes I guess.
A Kingfisher that would be really cool to see would be the Giant Kingfisher.
/Neil

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:33 pm 

Whats the bathing like at Wilderness? And where is it!?
We're staying at Ebb&Flow South, do people bathe in the lagoon, or do they bathe in the Indian ocean on the beach?
Or is there perhaps even a bathing place in the camp?

Another thing, can you walk over to Wilderness town in the evening to a restaurant, or should you take the car?
Are there any particularly good restaurants?

Please excuse the silly questions, we have no idea what
the WNP is like.
/Neil
PS. Good news yesterday was I read our plan again, and realised we'll be at Wilderness for three nights, that means we'll have time to walk all the way up to the waterfall.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Neil Crawford wrote:
Another thing, can you walk over to Wilderness town in the evening to a restaurant, or should you take the car?
Are there any particularly good restaurants?

Hi Neil,

There are quite a few nice restaurants in Wilderess. We walked to town from the campsite, but during the day. There aren't really good footpaths to town and back that are easy to follow in the dark.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:00 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Neil, if you are going to bathe in the sea in the Wilderness, or in fact in many places in South AFrica, just be very very careful. The currents can be very mean. Dont not swim, but just please be cautious and dont go too far out. I have never swam at the Wilderness, but I have at other places on the Cape Coast. Just remember to be careful, anywhere. It is beautiful though.

Treat the sea and the ocean with the respect it deserves.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Wilderness beach is renowned for being a dangerous one. Plenty of drownings and drownings occur there.

The Touws river is super save for bathing in. There is a lovely lagoon close to town and the river itself in the camp site is awesome. Go grap a canoe as well and row up towards the waterfall. There are lovely spots to swim enroute there and the waterfall is an experience one won't forget.

The restaurants in town ain't the best in the country I must say. Service in the peak holiday times is shocking. I had two meals there 2 weeks ago and both was below par. But it all depends on the day I guess, so go out there and try it our for yourself.

If you have kids I would recommend the Spur in the Garden Route Mall just off the N2, 10mins south of Wilderness.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi neill

We stayed in Wilderness for 3 nights at the end of December. At the time only two walking trails were open due to flood damage. Contact the park by e-mail (wildernessATsanparks.org) Also there are lots and lots and lots of mosquitoes around due to the abundance of stagnant pools all around so be sure apply a repellant. It is very muddy so be prepared for some fun on the trails!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next