Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm 

Loams wrote:
Sorry PB, you are wrong. The Lion in my pic is Bitterbal, there is absolutely no doubt. We found them (Nossob and Bitterbal) at Domkrag during the night drive and they were identified as thus. They were there the next morning still, and it was confirmed to me by an HR lady on the scene to be Nossob and Bitterbal. That is also where the picture was taken.

Kalahari is a lone male, Nossob and Bitterbal are a coalition. The Lion in my pic was with Nossob. The Lion in your pic is also Nossob I suspect but I cant be sure.

I dont think so Loams..that lion in your pic is very blonde (on my 19 ' flat monitor it is anyway but when you saw them they were newish in the Park and I wasnt going there once or twice a week then as I have been for the last 18 months ...but like woman who are Blonde as teenagers many go quite dark in middle age so we will leave it like that. They got 6 lions originally and this is what they look like today
This is Ardlam
This is Kamqua (Gina at the back was born at Addo
This is one of the Junior Coalition "Kalahari" the only Blond Male at Addo. He hangs around with his partner Tsama when I have seen him.
This is Tsama who is asserting himself this year and we know he mated with Kamqua and Gina recently (I saw the Kamqua mating.)
BIG Apologies the big lion I posted yesterday is in fact Nossob (finger trouble) and you can tell by his neat cut off Mane across his Chest.
Here is an up todate pic of Nossob taken 2 weeks ago
Bitterbal is the 'Darkest and biggest in size" male at Addo and here he is with Nossob
Bitterbal is lying down...but you can see he is a Blackie and bigger than his pal sitting up on the left. Hope that helps ...As I say I see them on average every three weeks and I go to Addo every week and sometimes more . I talk to the Scientist a lot and we cooperate...Some HRs Knowledge is diabolical but that doesnot detract one little bit from the goosd work they do on a voluntary basis..maybe your HR lady was having a stab???

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 pm 

For Loams. I found a much better pic of Bitterbal...he is a very big lion and is the one on the right..Nossob on the left...both dark Black Mane lions which would have been apparent earlier on in life
It was raining so their manes were a bit flattenned at the top...can you see any resemblance of any of these 2 lions with the very fair lion in your pic at Hapoor apart from the same Latin Name...I cant....this is my pet project the Lions of Addo and I plan to publish a book in about 5 yrs from now on them. 2 0f the 9 lions in the game area are very close to me now and in fact there is no doubt in my mind that when I bump into the young lioness Gina and big Nossob that there is some sort of acceptance and recognition
(pic missing)

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My male looks pretty blonde on my 22" flat screen as well. Regardless of that, he must have changed in the two years since I saw him then. Like I said, the night drive guide as well as the HR lady identified them, and it was not at hapoor, it was at domkrag.

I don't discount that the people that live and work in the park every single day might have gotten it wrong, but you and me that only go as tourists have a better chance of getting it wrong.

Now, maybe we can ask a 3rd umpire to settle this debate, because if the Lions in my pic are not who I think they are, I would like to know. My pictures were taken December 2005.

PB, could you tell me who this fellow in the picture is?

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:53 pm 

Hi Loams this pic was taken in 2005 right?? I saw my first Addo Lion in Jan 2007 and that was Ardlam but its been a steady stream since then....I would say this is a very youthful and unmarked (at that stage) Nossob...hard to call ...it actually looks like Tsama does today but then he was just a real lightie :D

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Peter Betts wrote:
Hi Loams this pic was taken in 2005 right?? I saw my first Addo Lion in Jan 2007 and that was Ardlam but its been a steady stream since then....I would say this is a very youthful and unmarked (at that stage) Nossob...hard to call ...it actually looks like Tsama does today but then he was just a real lightie :D

That's right, the pic was taken in December 2005. Now that Lion was with my blonde male when I took their photo's. If I scratch around, I might find a picture of the two together.

I agree with you, that the guy in my previous photo is Nossob ;-) which would make my blonde male Bitterbal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Now I'm confused. Can anyone identify the lion in the pic I posted on page 1 of this thread? :redface:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Gavin, the male in your pic is Nossob. Carol's rest id on the far end of the reserve and in their range. Also, Megan identified your male as Nossob, which means that it is Nossob for sure ;-)

Post subject: Re: My name is Nossob
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We saw these two guys in Feb 2007 near Carols Rest. Can anyone ID them for me? Would love to know if one is also Nossob
Thanks
Gavin

and

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:38 am 

Fantastic Gavin...Kalahari in front and Tsama at the back..never seen them there :D

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Peter here is a pic to show you exactly where they were! Thanks for your reply

and

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:20 pm 

Gee another lovely pic of Kalahari looking glam as usual..but this is not at Carol's rest ...instead by Zuurkop on the plains about 3kms from Carol's Rest

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Peter, yes you are correct when you say they were below Zuurkop, however I always thaought of the whole area as being Carols Rest, not just the waterhole a few kms away :redface:

and