View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Addo True Bush Feel?
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hi Bornman, and a very warm welcome to you :gflower:

I hope that you love your stay in Addo.

I stayed over when I took my daughter to start her studies at Rhodes. I will return, it was a very special experience.

The train was the most intrusive noise, but I can recall only noticing it once in the early morning. It was quite easy to switch off. What I noticed more was the sound of the Jackal. Now when I hear them, my mind goes back to Addo.

I found a certain gentleness in the landscapes, quite feminine really, with the softer contours. It is different and I took off my Kruger hat and lapped up every moment. Even the ellies seemed different, somehow more mellow.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I might get a bit of flack for my opinion regarding Addo... but I really did not enjoy my time there.

Whilst I did not notice too much noise I did notice the boundaries of the park. Surrounding farmlands and communities seemed ever present. At least in KNP and KTP one can completely get that "lost in the wilderness" feeling... I could not manage this in Addo.

In addition I am not a great fan of the Addo vegetation... preferring the broadleafed woodland of the Lowveld and the vegetation of Zululand. I found the "spekboom" very sore on my eyes.

At the end of the day I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I am glad I have gone as my curiosity has been satisfied... would I return? Probably not.

Having said all these things I know that many people are indeed great fans of Addo and its unique features.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bornman and SeanP.

The problem is not with Addo or Kruger or whatever, but with our conceptions/preconceived ideas with which we enter these places.
Some people love the Kgalagadi, others think it is so bare, dusty and boring...
I used to think Kruger was wild and free, until I got used to Mana Pools, Hwange and Ghona re Zhou -- after being spoilt with those places, Kruger=A ZOO! I was disgusted to have to queue to enter, to see animals etc.
Untill I got my mind right. I am a teacher and can only go to Kruger in school holidays -- imagine! But I enjoy it now, and do most game-viewing on the quieter dirt roads.
If you think Kruger = WILD, then yes, Addo = even more of a zoo...!

But go there with an open mind, and you will find:
* Some of the best elephant viewing in Africa (even if most cows are tuskless) -- sit at a waterhole on a hot day and when you see a herd of elephants kicking up dust in the distance, go and park next to the path they will be following -- you will have a hang of an adrenaline rush when they come charging straight at your vehicle, and just part ways and rush around you on both sides!
* More tortoises and warthog than you will see anywhere else...
* Stunning spekboom when it is in pink bloom (right now); stunning vygies after good rain behind Carol's Rest, where elephants dig them up with their feet and chow the pretty pink succulents...
* Very good game viewing from the hide at Main Camp, especially for black rhino at night...
* Amazing variety of birds to photography, especially on cold winter mornings as they sun themselves next to the road...
* A hotspot for caracal lynxes. They are quite common and regularly seen...

And yes, SeanP, it is frustrating to see farmland etc. from a national park, and I have been pleading with them for years to open a new private campsite on the Colchester side where you are isolated in the spekboom with NO views of farms etc.

On the other hand, there are wilder areas in the north of Addo like Narina, Darlington ( I have not bothered to do them), and a very lovely section of pristine coastal forest with yellow woods etc. at Alexandria.

Hope you have a lovely time!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

ps. did I say they have lots of eland (you see much more than in Kruger), and hyenas are quite common around Rooidam, Domkrag and Woodlands early mornings; and meerkat families on the Woodlands loop, and at Hapoor.... and a few stunning lions.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm 

Hi Bornman,
I agree with Friedrich. A plus side is if you can get him and his scholars in the campsite, they sing beautifully.

We try and spend at least 8 days in Addo when we go. Kruger it is not, but the beauty of the wildlife is what attracts us. We have had some of the best elephant experiences in Addo. I have been to Hwange, Chobe, Kruger etc but the closeness to the large herds in Addo is an experience to behold. We have also had incredibly close sightings of the lions where they are less than 2 mt from your vehicle (close enough to touch) :shock:

The vegetation is remarkedly different to Kruger and at times it can be frustrating spotting game but with this we have also had some truly memorable sightings. We take this as being part of the experience.

The road past Addo is not that busy at night but you can hear vehicles on the road from the campsite (read camping area -tents / caravan area).

I would go to Addo at the drop of a hat.

Enjoy your time.
Blessings.

Post subject: Unit 15 Addo National park
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:07 pm 

Hi

Can someone that stayed in unit nr 15 in Addo Main camp please tell me how big the fridge is as there is more than one picture on the website (one big and one bar fridge).

Just like to know how big the freezer compartment is before we book the unit

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Unit 15 Addo National park
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 pm 

Hi and not sure if you are referring to the family chalets, Ansie1, but if you are, please see lion queen's 8) photos of Chalet Number 16, here.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:11 am 

Hi Matthys

Thank you for the response, the code on the website is chalet 2BD (CH2), and apparantly there is only one of these units available, so I don't think it will look the same as one of the other units

Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:10 pm 

Mathys, if you go to available accommodation and click on chalet co2 (unit 15) and enlarge the pics it gives you a good idea of the size of the fridge. The top section is freezer and opens separately.

This is a lovely unit with amazing view of the game area. Just love it!!

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:00 am 

ansie1 I see now what you are saying - have stayed in that unit before and I cannot recall only having a bar fridge in the unit (please don't hold me for this). We were very comfortable in the unit and is very good value, also gets snapped up quickly as this is the only unit available for that price.

Do not know how many days you want to spend in the park, but anyway hope you come right and have a lovely stay. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:19 pm 
Guru
Guru

Good afternoon

I can confirm that the Family Cottage is indeed equipped with an average sized refrigerator - fridge at the bottom and freezer on top.

Enjoy your stay!

Regards,
Fayroush Ludick - Regional Communications

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8