Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 4x4 in Karoo NP
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:44 pm 

Some tips of the nice 4x4 in Karoo? I have seen in the map there are few , if someone have done it i am happy for advice....

Post subject: Re: 4x4 in Karoo NP
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Korshinab

We've done the route in July this year and if I could find my map I will be able tell you a lot more.

We did the long loops to the West and took us more than 7 hours. We never had to use 4X4, but a high ground clearance was essential for 40% of the way. We could see that when it's been raining that a lot of guys before us got stuck. We did not see much, but to me and Skillie that's not important, we like the quite and alone places. We never saw any other vehicles. This route is one way only in some places, you don't have to book and it's for free.

The shorter 4X4 route near Klipspringerspass is a grade 4 and we did not feel like that kind of stress on our holiday and potentially damage our vehicle. This route you have to book when you arrive in the park and pay a fee. I think it would take all day!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:34 pm 

Thanks,for me too is very important find places where no others vehicle are around....
i will be carefull for the rain, anyway i hope is a nice Park cause i wanted to go from longtime...
I book for 2 nights so we can relax a full day around,did you had good sight?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We had great sightings on the way to Klipspringerspass and at the top of the pass.

On the 4X4 route itself we had very few sightings, but the landscape was just breathtaking and the desolateness wonderful.

I'll post some photos as soon as I get a chance.

Overall we've seen plenty birds and the rare animal species including Mountain Zebra and the "unmentionables", we did not see the lions, but no-one saw them when we were there, apparently they had 2 cubs not long ago.

We too only stayed 2 nights and that was way not enough, but at that time we've already been away from home living in our off road trailer for more than 3 weeks.

We are going to make the Karoo Park our stop over every time we go down South.

Take note, there is no fuel available in the Park and you have fill up in town, not to far, but it's better to fill up before you enter the park.

Fantastic restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the shop stock all the basics you'll need. The staff was super friendly and helpful.

There are a lot of activities in camp and be sure to check it out.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Korshinab,

Have a look under the Frontier Forum, Karoo NP falls under the Frontier Parks.

Here is a nice topic you can have a look at............Karoo National Park Activity Sightings

We've done all the 4X4 routes and it's really worth the while!!

But leave as early as possible, arrange with the restaurant the evening before to pack your breakfast to go, then pick it up before you go out on the 4X4 route. Nice to park somewhere along the route and enjoy your breakfast!

If you do the long route it is going to take most of your day. BUT enjoy every moment, there is some stunning views along the route.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:15 pm 

Thanks a lot , i will live early..(i know i have to eject my son from the bed every time we go for G.Drive)but than is very happy too.
I hope to see the Lion, how many rhino they have ? I know they have Black and White R.