Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo: Zuurberg Hiking Trails
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:54 pm 

Afternoon all :gflower:

We're planning on taking a hike in the Zuurberg - the Doringnek Trail this weekend.

I was just wondering if anyone here has done it as it will be our first time...

Any feedback on experience would be nice.. any animals, whats it like etc?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Zuurberg Hiking Trails- Some feedback
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am 

Hi Sabi009,

I have done the hike on two occasions. It is where I proposed to my (now) wife :D

If memory serves me correctly, the original route was approximately 14km's, but was shortened to about 8km's as the original route traversed a farmers private land. The revised route is now solely within the Zuurberg area.

It is a wonderful hike, you descend fairly quickly from the start out point and meander downhill through the indigenous forest. On our last hike we saw quite a few Knysna Louries, so look out for them. There is a lovely pool at the bottom, where you can rest and refresh. After that, there is a fairly steep (but definately manageable) climb - this is the "new" part of the route, and after climbing out of the valley, you link up to the "original" route again. From here, we have seen hartebeest on both occasions.

This last bit of the route is mostly on the ridge of the mountain and allows lovely views back into the main area of the park and also towards PE, and this is where I proposed :gflower:

I hope you enjoy the hike. Take lots of water, it does get quite hot there.

Pat

Post subject: Addo - Zuurberg Section
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:19 pm 

Hello,
What is the best gate to enter for the Zuurberg section of Addo, particularly to access the hiking trails and the horseback riding? And, can I sign up for the horseback riding ahead of time? I'd also like to visit the main camp, so would you recommend one area before the other? I'm coming from/going back to Port Elizabeth.
Thank you,
Katie

Post subject: Re: Addo - Zuurberg Section
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:32 am 
Guru
Guru

Yes, you may book ahead of time for all the activities by calling (042) 233 8657. I'd suggest you come through to the Main Camp first, as you'll need to pay for and sign indemnity forms for the activities at the Game Drives Reception office.

The best entrance to the Main Camp would probably be to use the Main Gate:

Take the N2 highway towards Grahamstown. Take the turnoff to the left signposted “Motherwell” and “Addo Elephant National Park”. Turn left at the top of the off-ramp and proceed through Motherwell. Follow this road until you see the entrance to the park on the right. Distance: about 72 km or one hour travelling time.

Thereafter, directions from Main Camp to Zuurberg:

•Exit the Main Camp and turn left. About 1 km down the road, turn off towards Zuurberg Mountain Inn.
•Follow this gravel road (the Zuurberg Pass) for about 15km. Please take care when driving on the Zuurberg Pass as the road is fairly narrow and winding. You will see the Zuurberg Inn/Hotel on your right and the turnoff to the Park offices on your left.
•Follow this narrow gravel road until you reach the Park offices where you park your vehicle.
•The trip will take about 30 minutes.

Enjoy the trip!

Fayroush Ludick
Communications Manager - Frontier Region

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 pm 

Just an update...

This was one of the most memorable hikes we took...

We started late and the trek down was wonderful enjoyed fresh air and mountain views.
then came the level part with lots of spider webs above and very bushy now and again over little streams.
Here we heard baboons barking. After we came to gat pool we missed he turn back and hiked 1hr in the wrong direction (oops!) The sign showing going up was b4 the pool and at the pool there was no sign, so we missed it...
called the park and found out what went wrong and what with dusk coming in the hike up was tough more so as we were pressing for time to come outa the mountains by dark.
Very very beautiful sunset in the mountain view we had. will see if i can upload a pic.

The very helpful rangers met us on top and drove us back to camp.

Apparently this had happened before to another group, also missing the sign.

A very thrilling experience and definitely recommended to all nature lovers!

we're waiting for opportunity to present itself to go back again, this time early in the morning and doing it again properly!

@Patto

Thanks so much for your reply! only seeing it now argh :wall:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm 

sunset

all alone in the wilderness

trail

Post subject: Re: Addo - Zuurberg Section
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:44 am 

Hi,
I don't find much info on Zuurberg section on Addo website, how is it?
We are planning a tour for end of Dec 2013 / beginning of Jan, about 14 days, start and end in Cape Town, and we would like to visit Addo, Karoo and some other park in the area, we arer still deciding.
Do you suggest to consider also this section, or only the main section and leave time for other parks?
thanks! :mrgreen: