Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: ADDO and MOUNTAIN ZEBRA - advice and tips please?
Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:26 pm 

Hello,

We are regular visitors to Kruger, however this year we trying something new. :D Early July 2012 we are spending 3 nights at Mountain Zebra (Family Cotage accomodation) and 4 nights at Addo (Spekboom tented accommodation).

This will be our first visit to these parks. We have a good 4x4, so bad roads are no problem. Also I'm a keen wildlife photographer. :cam:

So, I'm looking for advice and tips from experienced visitors to these two parks.
- hot spots for sightings?
- recommended routes or loops to drive?
- favorite waterholes for sightings?
- how's the accommodation?
- what's not good?

Much appreciated.

Alvin

Alvin Flaum

Post subject: Re: ADDO and MOUNTAIN ZEBRA - advice and tips please?
Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Alvin, welcome to the forum.

I am not an expert on these parks, but did visit earlier this year. (see my trip report link below)

Roads in MZNP and ADDO are all fine no need for 4x4. MZNP has some 4x4 routes, we took one and enjoyed the thrill of the experience. The others were closed due to rain.

Both parks are relatively small compared to KNP so you will cover all roads in the time you will be there.
MZNP main viewing area is on the Rooiplaat Loop, cheetah are said to be mainly found on the Link Road, buffalo on the Ubejane Loop...but amazing scenery on the Kranskop Loop. Cheetah tracking activity is recommended.

In Addo we found lion on the main road in the southern section.

MZNP accomdation is good, spacious and comfortable, did not try the Spekboom tents.

Enjoy these different parks, they are worth a visit.

And please tell us how the trip goes.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:06 pm 

These smaller parks are a real gems, MZNP has beautiful scenery and has a couple of hikes/walks which are a joy to do. The roads are fine and they do have a few 4 x 4 trails but are not too difficult to do. There are two pools to swin in one in the main camp and one in the picnic area which is a nice place to picnic. (there are two picnic areas). I have seen game on all the roads but since the park is fairly small it is easy to cover most of the park in a day. If you are active there is lots to do.
Addo Park has no 4 x 4 trails all roads are good except when it rains then they turn to mud very quickly. The Safari Tents have a good view over the park and at night it is great having supper sitting back with a glass of wine but it can be very chilly at night. To see the lions they seem to like the southern part but you can drive around for days without seeing them, but early morning is the best time to see them. As far as the elephants go they are often seen everywhere and then sometimes you only see them in the distance Carols Rest is a great place to see animals but most watering holes are good spots to view. Elephants do come close to your car but they are more accommodating to cars than Kruger Park so you should get some good shots of them. I could go on and on but don't want to bore you.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:41 pm 

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Hi Alvin.

We have just returned from MZNP and it is a wonderful little Park. We found the best roads for game to be the Rooiplaat Loop and the Ubejani Loop. The Kranskop Loop is spectacular scenery

Have a look here

Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:17 pm 
Guru
Guru

I'm sure you will got lots of advice here Alvin, but I just wanted to add that Addo does have a 4x4 trail - if you are looking for that type of experience - and its one of the most scenic trails around.

The 4x4 trail starts in Kirkwood or Darlington and takes 4-6 hours, taking you through thicket, forest, fynbos and nama karoo type vegetation. There's more info about this on Addo's web pages.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 pm 

Thanks everyone - please keep any info / tips comming..... :thumbs_up:

I have just booked the Elephant Back safari in Addo 8) ..... but now you say its not available? :cry:
.... good one. :clap:

The Cheetah tracking experience in MZNP sound like a plan though - does one need to book it upfront? or can it be arranged on arrival? :thumbs_up:

Does one need to book or arrange to take one of the 4x4 routes in these two parks? - or do you just go that way/route?

Anyone stayed in the Spekboom tents before?
- I believe you need to bring some of your own basics?
- is linnen and beding supplied?
- self cattering basics or must one bring own?
- how does the communal fridge work - can you put supplies in it and it's left alone?
- from pics I have seen it seem you don't park near the tents and communal facilities - so how does that work if your supplies (camp fridge/kitchen for example) are in your car / trailer - or can you pull your trailer in next to your tent(s)?
a bit puzzled/concerned, can anyone who's been there clarify? :?
-

Alvin Flaum

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Alvin

I have NOT slept in Spekboom, but from looking at it, you park your car in an electrified enclosure, and walk to your tent etc. Not more than 50m to the furthest tent. You will NOT be able to drag a trailer into that area, I suspect, since the paths are narrow.
Safari tents in the main camp all have linnen, utensils etc. Just get finer details from someone who has been.
Elephants don't follow the rules -- they have preferences according to the seasons... Hapoor is ALWAYS a great place for huge herds of ellies on warmer days, but 2 weeks ago we saw 0 elephants at Hapoor in about 5 visits during a 3 day stay!
There were at least 150-200 around Gwarriepan and Woodlands every day, but only a single bull or two came down to the Main Camp waterhole!
When it is dryer, I suspect things will change again, and Carol's Rest and Hapoor will have bigger groups again.
Do your early morning ride, and if all else fails, go to the viewpoint on Zuurkop (Northern side), and just scan Carol's Rest plus open plains, Domkrag, Gwarriepan, Woodlands etc. You will soon see where the ellies are heading -- just wait for them at the waterhole -- we had a herd of about 50 charging full speed down to Gwarriepan, directly at our little school bus! Exciting stuff with trumpeting, dust, and bodies whizzing past us on both sides!
Don't forget the Caracal Lynxes! They are EVERYWHERE! Saw one after sunset drinking at Woodlands waterhole; last time about 1 km east of that point; previously down in the dip towards Carol's Rest (this time we missed 2 here by 1 minute!)
Enjoy!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

Alvin wrote:
The Cheetah tracking experience in MZNP sound like a plan though - does one need to book it upfront? or can it be arranged on arrival? :thumbs_up:
Does one need to book or arrange to take one of the 4x4 routes in these two parks? - or do you just go that way/route?
Anyone stayed in the Spekboom tents before?
- I believe you need to bring some of your own basics?
- is linnen and beding supplied?
- self cattering basics or must one bring own?
- how does the communal fridge work - can you put supplies in it and it's left alone?
- from pics I have seen it seem you don't park near the tents and communal facilities - so how does that work if your supplies (camp fridge/kitchen for example) are in your car / trailer - or can you pull your trailer in next to your tent(s)?
a bit puzzled/concerned, can anyone who's been there clarify? :?
-

It's better to book 4x4 trails in Addo (via addoenquiries@sanparks.org) and cheetah tracking in Mountain Zebra NP (via mountainzebra@sanparks.org) beforehand to ensure that it is available. You can still pay on arrival in case there are weather constraints. 4x4 routes in MZNP are free of charge.
Spekboom Tents: linen and towels provided plus a utility box with all your cooking & eating utensils. You have a braai unit, kettle and solar-powered light at your tent. the communal gas fridge and shower/toilets are a walk away from your tent so you need to have a flashlight to use at night. The parking area is outside the tent area (but also enclosed) so you can't pull your trailer next to your tent.