Skip to Content

MZNP - 4 x 4 versus sedan ?

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra

Moderator: lion queen

HiggsieNJules

MZNP - 4 x 4 versus sedan ?

Unread postby HiggsieNJules » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi - I'm debating whether it would be worth the extra expense (around 4000ZAR) of hiring a 4x4 ie Nissan Qashqai for example, over a standard sedan (eg Nissan Tiida) for our 8 nights stay in Graaf Reinet & Mountain Zebra NP. I see looking at the map of MZ there are 3 4x4 only tracks. Would having access to these routes be a significant benefit over the other 'all access' routes, or are we best sticking to the tourist road circuits and spend the money on the organised morning / sunset / night game drives from the camp ? Before going to MZ we are also staying in Graaf Reinet, so we anticipate spending a couple of days visiting Camdeboo NP where there's some 4x4 trails too.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated - also would the Nissan Qashqai be up to the job ?

Cheers :thumbs_up:
Higgsie
Higgsie & Jules

Satara 17-19 Nov
Letaba 20-23 Nov
Lower Sabie 24-26 Nov
Graff Reinet / Camdeboo NP 27-30 Nov
Mountain Zebra NP 1-4 Dec
Back to Winter in Lancashire 5 Dec - ????

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: MZNP - 4 x 4 versus sedan ?

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:04 am

That is quite a dilemma. :hmz:

Mount Zebra has cheetah tracking as well as brilliant night creatures. The cheetah tracking would take a full morning. It is also such a unique experience that I would recommend that above all else.

I would be tempted to advise the extra activities. Last time I went to Mount Zebra, I had a car loaded with my daughter's three years of varsity accumulation. I was extremely cautious about what roads I traveled. I never ventured close to a 4x4 trail and never felt deprived.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Puff Addy

Unread postby Puff Addy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 am

Hi Higgsie,

I would save your money and take advantage of the excellent MZNP guides during your stay there. You will not run out of wildlife and scenery using the normal tourist roads in your sedan. :wink:

Kind regards,

Adam

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 am

I agree with Puff Addy and MM, you'll be just fine with a sedan -- I travel solo and thus for me the extra cost of a 4x4 is prohibitive! -- and won't run out of interesting and awarding drives. I'll be visiting MZNP in July for 7 nights with a sedan and am not concerned that I'll miss out. And I can highly recommend the cheetah tracking, a very special experience!

Have a great trip!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

HiggsieNJules

Unread postby HiggsieNJules » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks alot, Meandering Mouse, Puff Addy & Arks.

Sedan it is then !

I'd read a few glowing reports of the Cheetah tracking experience so this is definitely something we'll be booking. Sunset / night drive also sounds like a must do :clap:

No doubt I'll be back seeking more advice in the near future, Thanks again for your help & advice

Higgsie
Higgsie & Jules

Satara 17-19 Nov
Letaba 20-23 Nov
Lower Sabie 24-26 Nov
Graff Reinet / Camdeboo NP 27-30 Nov
Mountain Zebra NP 1-4 Dec
Back to Winter in Lancashire 5 Dec - ????

Return to “Frontier Parks”