Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Road conditions PE to ADDO
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:26 pm 

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me what the present conditions are of the road from PE via Motherwell to Addo???

Heading to Addo for the weekend and might have to travel part of the way in the dark, wanting to know if the road is ok...

Thanks
bublet

Post subject: Re: Road conditions PE to ADDO
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:34 pm 

Bublet wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me what the present conditions are of the road from PE via Motherwell to Addo???

Heading to Addo for the weekend and might have to travel part of the way in the dark, wanting to know if the road is ok...

Thanks
bublet

This should answer your question....

Officials dither as outcry grows over Addo road
February 24, 2014 |
Cindy Preller and Thulani Gqirana
PE HERALD

THE citrus industry is losing up to R150-million a year from damaged fruit due to the shocking state of the Addo Road.

And the authorities are just passing the buck on who is responsible for fixing it.

Sundays River Business Chamber chairman Flippie Ehlers said about 12500 trucks carrying 20 million cartons of fruit a year travelled on the Addo Road, which had potholes the size of small citrus trees in some places.

In addition, 600 Bay workers travelled on this “unsafe” road to work in the valley.

“With the road being so badly damaged for so long, the citrus industry has losses of about R150million per year,” Ehlers said.

“When overseas customers open the boxes and find the fruit, or even the labelling or boxes, to be damaged, they immediately send them back at cost. The citrus industry is the second biggest contributor to the [Eastern Cape] economy, after the motor industry, and the sorry state of the road has a massive impact on it.”

Sundays River Citrus Company managing director Ken Nieuwenhuizen said there was no doubt the bad condition of the road, coupled with heavy loads, caused serious damage to the fruit exported to an already fickle customer base, especially in Europe.

The citrus export season for the year starts at the end of March.

The Sundays River Business Chamber has taken up the issue of the road with local authorities.

Ehlers said the valley’s tourism industry was also suffering, with many guesthouses reporting that some tourists had turned around when they saw the bad road.

Apart from the 1600-bed tourism industry in the valley, the Addo Elephant National Park has also been affected. SANParks communications manager Fayroush Ludick said SANParks management had taken up the issue several times with the authorities.

“We have lots of complaints from visitors, especially those who travel with caravans or trailers. They have no other choice but to travel slowly,” Ludick said.

Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism chief executive Mandlakazi Skefile said the organisation was also lobbying to get the road fixed.

Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber president Kevin Hustler said this crucial link needed urgent attention.

While Mandela Bay municipal spokesman Mthubanzi Mniki said the Addo Road was not the municipality’s responsibility, Transport MEC Thandiswa Marawu said on Friday municipalities decided which roads to prioritise.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:42 pm 

Thanks WP...

I recall reading that newspaper report, but someone told me to go through addo....so was checking to see what others would say....I did doubt the road was in a better condition....

My idea was to rather take the road towards Cradock, turn off at Paterson.....

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 pm 

No you can only enter the park at the main gate via the bad Motherwell/Addo road or at the Matyholweni gate at Colchester/Sundays River off the N2 highway.

The Addo / Paterson road that goes through the middle of the park are for thoroughfare and exit only and not for entrance to the park.

Vehicles with caravans or trailers can not enter the park via the Matyholweni gate.

Try to enter at Matyholweni in time!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Werner,
He is thinking of bypassing the dirt road, and turning off at Paterson to Addo main camp gate. This is further, but a much better option. Depends on where you are coming from. I often go via Uitenhage when coming from the Cape, then use a good 20 km dirt road that joins the Motherwell road about 10 km from Addo village...
Enjoy your holiday!
God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:50 am 

Hi Friedrich,
Yes you are correct, I am thinking of rather taking the Cradock road from PE, and take the tar road from Paterson through to main Camp....I will be traveliing from the Summerstand area...

Going in at Colchester area is not an option due to time limits of travelling after work, and the game area gate closing at 17;30....

Looking forward to a weekend in the park....

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:31 am 

Hi Everyone,

just thought I would post as a follow up...

I changed my mind after travelling to PE from Grahamstown on friday afternoon, there was a stop go in place near Kinkelbos, with queues of about 120 cars on each side, this slowed my trip to PE quite a bit....

I left PE at 16;30, and took the Motherwell turn off and proceeded thru Addo town to the Park. The road is very bumpy and narrow, but there arent too many potholes at the moment, only a few as you leave Addo town...

Got to the Park around 17;30, so was happy and would use that road again....

Might have to try my hand at a trip report....

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:25 pm 

Might I add that we used to drive on the left hand side of the road,. now we drive on whats left of the road.

The road from Phalaborwa to Hoedpsruit is in a shocking state caused mainly be the constant stream of trucks from Phalaborwa mines to Mozambique.....EISH :wall: