Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo Park- some questions
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 am 

hey,

So i'm new to the forum, like to say hi and loving some of the topics i've already glanced through..

We're travelling to SA in January 2013,simply cant wait for it now, especially after reading through some of the forums here this morning..

The park recommended doing was Addo national park, rather than a private one?! anyway so I'm here looking for advise. What's the best accommodation, what to bring with us for that time of year, are there days trips we can do there, or is it self drive, what's the food like, will we see many animals?? oh so many questions...

would appreciate all the advise you have for us, we're staying for 2 nights, arrive the 2nd january..woohooo

Post subject: Re: Addo Park- some questions
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Firstly, a warm welcome to the forum, cantwait, :gflower:

I will be visiting Addo from 25-28 June'12 - next week. We were there last year June as well, but this time will be staying in a different accommodation type. We will take a few photo's and upload upon our return so you can have a good feel or visualize it.

What is the size of your group/party? It will help with choosing the appropriate accommodation type i.e. the Rondavels having view on a floodlit waterhole sleeps 2 and is highly recommended. (Will post some photos) :cam:

The animal life have not dissappointed us - depending if you have a preference...
But, as it is with all parks - be there, have an open mind and you will be surprised.

Now, I have to go an pack and fisr off to Wildernis, then Addo... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:28 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forums cantwait (love the name!!)

If you're in the Port Elizabeth area, definitely choose Addo over a private park.............cheaper for a start, and much more fun!! :dance:

Yes, you would self drive..........that way you find your own animals, not ones the guides have heard about on a walkie talkie. It a such a sense of achievment to spot the wildlife.

Most SANparks have guided drives (not sure about Addo.............the experts will advise) so if you want to try one as well as self drive you could.

I don't know Addo very well, so will leave the experts to advise on accommodation.

Whatever you decide safe travels, and have wonderful time.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions here...........we all like to help if we can. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm 

@Kaapsedraai

thanks for that, i cant wait to see the pic's....there's 2 of us travelling (honeymoon) but i'm just be concious of the fact himself has a bad back, so just want to make sure the accommodation is ok, hard beds please!! :)

@Crested Val

We're flying into PE, spending a night there and then travelling by car up to addo, think your right might do a guided drive, and then sure during the days we can take a trip around ourselves

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:49 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
There are many forum members who visit Addo regularly, so I'm sure you will get plenty of accommodation advice.

We stayed in a cottage for 2 in 2008. I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was clean and comfy (I have back problems so would have noticed an uncomfortable bed I'm sure!!)

We overlooked an open bush area.......it was great at sundowner time to watch the birds. :thumbs_up:

As I said before ask any questions and hopefully they will be answered by someone. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cantwait- For what :lol:

I was in Addo in December, and also grew up in the city of Port Elizabeth (PE). Depending on where you stay in PE, it is a relatively short trip to Addo, about 45min at most, which, if budgets are a constraint (which it was for me) then travel to the park every day. Having said that, staying overnight in the park is the best, especially if you can stay in the rondavels overlooking the waterhole-nothing beats seeing a herd of Elephants coming for a drink at night. I saw them drinking during the day, but that was many moons ago, and still to this day I remember that experience. Lifetime memories. As far as game drives/self drives-both have their advantage. Nothing quite like seeing an animal that is the result of your own searching. Game drives on the other hand gives you opportunity to see animals you would perhaps not see. I prefer the self drive, you can get out at many of the places -and there are many- where it is allowed, which you may not be able to do on a game drive? When I was there, I stopped at one of these places and was pleasantly surprised to watch a paiar of hawks struggling against prevailing winds, as they tried to make headway as well as hunt.
PE is a great place for a honeymoon, though I'd guess this is just part of a bigger trip.
Did anyone tell you that by joining this Forum, you are obliged to present a Trip Report of your time there, complete with photos, journals, photos, experiences, photos, scary moments, photos etc etc. Ok, I think i've covered it.
Have a fabulous trip- You never know, I might just be there too! You know about the yellow ribbon?

Cheerio

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm 

Hi cantwait
For two people I always advise them either the Safari Tents or the Chalets, the chalets are not luxurious but clean with a double bed and bathroom and do overlook the park. The safari tents overlook the park as well and being January it should be nice and warm(unlike today it is freezing) like most things it is a preference of what you are looking for check out the accommadation on Addo because they do have other types of accommadation. I would stay at the main camp if you want to go on a night drive because they only depart from there and it well worth going on the night drive, and there is a shop and restaurant and if it is hot there is a pool as well. I believe you can ask for a guide to travel in your vehicle and he would show you the best spots, I have never done this because driving on your own is a lot me exciting when you come across something and of course you can drive where and how long you want. If you go to Jacks Place you can have a nice picnic or braai and there are clean toilets there as well, this is situated in the middle of the park and is surounded by bush. There about three spots where you leave your vehicle but of course lions and elephants might not like it so be careful.The roads are tarred and dirt but very good and I have had no problem in a small sedan driving on any of the roads. The restaurant food is very good and it has a good menu and is open during the evenings, it is clean and the food is well presented and the staff are very freindly. Depending on how long you are staying you will see plenty of elephants for sure and they do come close to the car, of course Addo does have the big five but you should see a big variety of wildlife. I don't know where you are from but do have a great honeymoon/holiday and if you are touring drive safe and give us a trip report

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:06 pm 

great advise already, so happy i joined up.

We're getting married 28th dec and flying into PE on the 1st from Ireland, from there 2 nights on Safari, and then onto Plett, from there to Oudtshoorn and onto STellenbosch and finish in Cape Town, all in all about 20 days......

so looking forward to it, i'll defo to a report, and you lost me with the yellow ribbon???

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:18 pm 

May I make a suggestion, travel to Colchester from Port Elizabeth and enter the southern gate which is a turn off just before the Colchester you can book in there and drive up to the main camp, that is if you arrive early, I have never liked the road through Motherwell owing to the bad condition of it although it has been improved a little. The yellow ribon tied to the wing mirror denotes that you are a formite and we can reconise you. Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 pm 

Hi cantwait. Welcome. Daytime temperatures are hot so bring your costume along and you can take a dip in the camp swimming pool.
As a camper I have only stayed in the bungalows down the southern part but the tented accommodation at main camp looks very nice. The tents have their own water hole which is often visited by elephants and bufallo.
Self drive is easy in Addo but main camp offers various drives during the course of the day.
The shop is well stocked and in summer has a constant supply of cold beer and ice.
We arrive on 4th January for 8 days so we probably wouldn't meet but trust that you will have an enjoyable trip.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 pm 

wooohoooo

so its been a strange few days, firstly we were booking our dates got availability by email, then later that morning, dates no longer available, called them and everything - no availability, so broken hearted, had to look at moving our flights and everything so was a very long painful weekend.....but then i held out changing the flight and then the meail came in Monday around 10/11 they had our dates, well my heart leapt with joy...so by 1pm we had our dates booked...so excited now, paying for flights tomorrow after work....

really cantwait now.....

would you advise paying for day trip and the night one, before we go?? or what should we put on our list to do....