Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: General information required for Mountain Zebra & Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 pm 

Hi my husband and I have booked to stay 3 nights in MZNP from 7th Dec and then 6nts in a safari tent in Addo, we are coming from Scotland (Can't wait :D ) and will have had 5nts in Capetown, 2 nts in Bontebok and 3 nts in Ebb & Flow in Wilderness before we arrive...one question is please can someone let me know where the closest supermarket/bottle stores are before we enter the parks, I can see from this site that there are general stores in both camps but was wondering what the options were close by. We have booked to do the cheetah walk at MZNP and are so looking forward to the experience, do you think we should book night drives before we get to the parks or just book when we are there? Also I can see there is a restaurant at Addo but is there one in MZ? can you please give us an idea as to what we can expect weather wise and also if anyone has any other hints/tips we would be very grateful...Many thanks

Post subject: Re: General information required for Mountain Zebra & Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi tobago :D A big forum welcome :clap:
Check out the index you might find something of interest there and there is always the Travel Tales :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:31 pm 

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the quick response :D , I shall have a proper look...We are so looking forward to being back in SA again soon :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi tobago and welcome to the forum. Regarding Addo please PM RonnieL for info - and for Mountain Zebra please PM M.Paxton. Regarding night drives M.Paxton does the driving in MZNP. RonnieL is the fundi on Addo - please read the posts on "Addo Park Experiences". I know there are supermarkets in Cradock the nearest town to MZNP and I believe there is a supermarket in Addo - but have never had to visit one there. As the Parks shops are a bit expensive I would suggest you use outside supermarkets. December is a bit hot in the Eastern Cape but keep a jersey or light jacket handy as it an get a bit cool in the evenings. I wish you a very happy stay in our Eastern Cape Parks - you sure of seeing plenty of wild life. Safe journey to you both.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello there ... you are escaping the scottish winter are you..

I haven't been to Addo for a while but Mountain Zebra we were there last month and its something really special. We bought supplies in Cradock They still have several Butcher shops where they cut your meat as you like it . These are seperate from the supermarkets prepacked stuff. Its a very small town so you are sure to find one Look for the word Slaghuis!!There is also a Spar shop that seems to stock most things. The shop in the park has very few groceries just bare essentials. They do have a very nice looking restuarant . We never ate there though . Though you can always ask to see the menu. You will enjoy the rides through the park with stunning views. and lots of buck
Start packing and enjoy yourselves

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 pm 
Guru
Guru

welcome tobago!

Both Addo main camp and Mountain Zebra NP have resturants which are open full day (Addo) and for Breakfast, lunch and dinner (MZNP). The kitchens in the units are also fully kitted out for your own food preparation. The safari tents in Addo have a communal kitchen (shared between 5 tents) but you will have your own fridge at your unit and own utensils in your cupboard in the kitchen.

If you're travelling from Wilderness, you will pass PE and Bluewater Bay just after PE (latter might be easier for you as it is a smaller place). To get to either, you'll need to turn off the highway. There are supermarkets and bottle stores here.

Its best to book game drives in advance via addogamedrives@sanparks.org and mountainzebra@sanparks.org You only need to pay before the game drive so you can always shift the times around if needed when you get there, but at least you won't find a drive is fully booked.

Enjoy the visit!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 pm 

Hey guys

Thanks so much for the information, looks like we won't have to worry too much about stocking up as there sounds like there are plenty supermarkets etc in the towns inbetween the parks! we've been from CPT to Knysna before and stayed in B&Bs, hotels etc so this is the first time we will have to self cater although we have been really lucky in the passed as we have been to the Kruger and Pilansberg with my cousins who are honourary rangers and they have always looked after us really well, we were so lucky in 2008 as we went with them to the Indaba at Berg en Dal which was brilliant, we got to go on a rhino capture and walks etc :dance: ...Hopefully we'll have just as much fun cooking for ourselves!! We'll have to think about a morning/evening game drive as we'll have our own car for going out during the day...We are so lucky and can't wait to get back to beautiful SA :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:06 am 

Tobago
I can't believe that you are not spending a bit of time at Storm River!!
Three days is a long time at Ebb & Flow.
Storm River is fantastic.
Regards
JDW

Jun/Jul - Canada - Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Tofino, Inside Passage to Alaska and the Rockies.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:46 pm 

I could stay a month at Ebb and Flo, there are plenty of walks and other activities that will keep ypu busy but most of all PEACE and quite but everyone is different which makes life.