Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Assistance / Information Required to Plan Next Trip
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

1. I would only spend 4 nights in Karoo, if you are planning to spend at least 1 night in the 4x4 cottage.

2. MZNP 4x4 trails were easy. They will be closed, if it is raining or has recently rained though.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you very much for the information.

Does anyone else have any comment?

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi kesheshe,
Construction of the buscamp in Camdeboo National Park has been delayed but we hope to open it by April 2011. We are not yet taking bookings for this bushcamp so perhaps you could provisionally book a place in Graaff-Reinet and then change this to the bushcamp if it opens on schedule. Try the Graaff-Reinet Tourism office on Tel 049 8924248.

For your stay in Mountain Zebra NP, I would suggest spending one night in the mountain cottages to get a feel for them. They are great if you would like to feel a bit more isolated from the rest of the visitors in the rest camp.

I suggest you have a look at the other topics in this forum where many visitors have commented on their sightings in both national parks.

Mountain Zebra is now offering early morning drives and guided walks - keep an eye out on the website as we'll be giving details on these soon. Karoo is also offering guided walks along the Bossie and Pointer trails so this might be something you'd like to consider if you're happy to walk. Night drives are always worth it, i think, to have the chance of seeing some nocturnal animals and experiencing the Park at night when no other vehicles are out.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:16 pm 

I can give you my views although they may be very biased because the Karoo which includes KNP & MZP is to me great places to be. MZP is a very dare I say pretty park with mountains that are more like big rolling hills but rocky. They do have 4x4 trails and I believe that they are very good. Also the overnight hut in the mountains has recently been upgrade but I have not seen it since then. Three nights means two full days there and you should not get bored. They do have a wide selection of wildlife but no lions only cheetah which are often seen. MZP is a well worth visit.
The Karoo National Park is different, the have beautiful mountains with high buttresses on most of them, and you can imagine dinosaurs running around and of course they used to be there, it has a feeling about it that no other park has. The 4x4 trails are good and should be enjoyable, but even with all these trails you still do not see all the park. As for as wildlife is concerned there are no big herds so you don't see a too much and there are lions but they have plenty of places to hide out in. I love KNP and I look at the mountains in awe. Also around Beaufort West there are many 4x4 trails and hikes so if you get tired of KNP you can find something else to do or see. For a first time visit I think three nights may be better for you.
Mokala I do not know much about this park, if you are camping I believe there are no facilities it is like camping in the good old days. Enjoy your trip where ever you stay.

Post subject: Tented Stay at MZNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm 

Greetings All....

I've booked for an overnight tented stay at the Mountain Zebra National Park, arriving on Saturday 26th February in the morning & leaving sometime on Sunday 27th...I would like to know if it is similar to the Addo Elephant National Park whereby you have to be back in the tented area at 6.30 in the evening and are allowed out at 6.00 in the morning to do your viewing? :hmz:

Whilst I am asking these questions. I would also like to know the times you are allowed to do the hiking trails? :hmz:

I hope someone out there is able to help me...

Thanks

Ron :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Tented Stay at MZNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

There are indeed gate hours:
* 1 October to 31 March: 07:00 - 19:00
* 1 April to 30 September: 07:00 - 18:00
If visitors need to arrive or depart outside of gate hours, a fee of R100 will be charged. Arrangements should be made in advance with Reception on Tel: (048) 881 2427 / 3434 or email: Mountainzebra@sanparks.org

I can't find info on the hiking trails, but Megan will probably find this topic.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Tented Stay at MZNP
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:31 pm 

There are three walks/hikes:
1,5km that you do on your own without a guide young children may be OK
2,5km that again you do on your own without a guide and well worth a ramble, not good for very young children
10,5 Is guided and leaves around 6:00am and takes +/- three hours this again is good.

Post subject: Which car do I take?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:22 pm 

I have not been to Mountain Zebra and am looking forward to my first visit during a road trip mostly focussed on a wedding in Oudtshoorn (from the Lowveld via Gauteng). My husband wants to take his large Merc 4x4 (but not off-road as no low range) station wagon. I want to take my Prado. Would we enjoy MZNP more in an offroad vehicle? I'd appreciate some comment.

Post subject: Re: Which car do I take?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:15 pm 

The roads in the park are mostly dirt roads which are in good condition. The Kranskop Loop about 23km long is a scenic drive up and down the mountains very beautiful which is part dirt and part tarmac. The Rooiplaat Loop about 13 km long is on a plateau and quite flat and is dirt until you enter Link Road which is about another 13km long where certain parts are paved because of the steep parts. There is some tall grass at the moment so higher the vehicle the better to see the animals such as the bat eared fox which are difficult to see in the long grass. There are a couple of othe roads which are all dirt that are joined to Link Road. If you are not doing the 4x4 trails then either car would be OK but if you do the 4x4s then obviously you need a 4x4 vehicle. My choice would be the Prado because I think you are sitting a bit higher. I hope this helps in some small way

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 am 

Thank you JonJon. Your reply was very helpful. I agree about the Prado being higher, but not all that much as this Merc is higher than normal. It also seems that as its ground clearance is higher than normal it could cope with all roads except the 4x4 trails. My interests are birding and flora as much as fauna so I am sure I shall love this park.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 am 

May I suggest if you are fairly active to do the 2,5km walk that takes you up a small koppie/mountain where you can see up close the flora, it takes about an hour or so well worth it and you get a wonderful view of the park, and you see many birds as well but take water with you. At the moment the park is looking like Gods garden and the bird life is wonderful. enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: Mountain Zebra: Info/Advice
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When staying in Doornhoek are we allowed to visit the restaurant at night and drive back after dinner? Not sure whether it is permitted. The last time we stayed there we did not leave the house at night time. Thank you. MZ is a Great Park.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When we stayed there reception asked if we would be using the restaurant and they left the gate open for us. Sadly that was 4 years ago now :( - but fingers crossed that it's still the same.

Given the changes threatening the NHS here in blighty it looks as though the chances of another visit are getting more and more remote as the next politician opens his/her trap :evil:

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:42 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Grantmissy,

yes, you can still use the resturant at night. Simply book at reception and ask that they organise a staff member to open/close the gate for you.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 am 

If you go to a NP I would always choose the car with the higher clearance. It will help to spot animals esspecially when the grass will be long.

By the way can you tell me the type of the Mercedes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next