SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:08 pm 

francoisd wrote:
Any advice on camping in MZ Park?
Does the sites have electricity?
If they do, do you need a long lead & the blue plug?
Is there a communial kitchen?
What is the weather like during April?
Any other things to keep in mind to make the camping experience more pleasurble?

We made a provisional booking for the coming long weekend

The sites do have electricity. I cannot remember if one needs a blue plug - I think they are used in all the Parks so take one to be on the safe side. A normal length lead will be fine.

There is a communal kitchen.

We camped there last May and it was pretty chilly at night - cold actually.

The camp area is lovely - level, shady and grassed with a lovely view.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

FD and take some WARM clothing & bedding for night times (just in case). The days during April should still be warm, but we've been there during the warmer months & it was quite chilly at night. Look out for Rhino on the gravel road towards the gate in the mornings. Very nice park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yeah, my dad visited there last december, and even then he said the night was cold - so just pack well! Beutiful park, very scenic and birding is pretty good too along with game viewing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:14 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We visited Mountain Zebra NP this past long weekend, we decided to give the camping thing a try again and here are a few notes on the visit. I did not include any photos in the post to make life easy for those with slow connections but you can visit this gallery and follow the link to Mountain Zebra National Park. This is a long post so I hope it does not bore you to much :)

After 810km and 9 hours of traveling we arrived at the entrance to Mountain Zebra where we were greeted by a very friendly man at the gate. He completed a form I had to sign and hand in at reception, swiped our WILD card (without asking for any identification). After getting the binoculars, camera and bird guides into easy reach we were on our way.

From the entrance gate to the camp is a 12km drive of which the first 2/3 are good quality gravel road and the last 1/3 tarred surface. We did see some Springbok on this stretch and also started our bird list adding a new tick as well.

After the check-in formalities at reception (once again with friendly service) and picking up copies of the Park bird-, mammal and reptile lists we made our way to the camping area to try and acquire a good spot (by now it was 11:30). The camping area is quite small and being Easter weekend it was already full with all the best spots already taken. We eventually settled for a spot close to the ablution / kitchen block as it had some shade.

Not having camped in over 4 years we forgot how much work it is to pack everything needed and our Tazz was loaded to the brim. Out comes the tent, which we have not pitched for 4 years (although friends have used it in this time) and surprisingly our camp site was up and ready with-in 30 minutes. With the camp being busy our front view was of a group of four families camping for the weekend, to the left and the back more people and to the right the ablution /kitchen block.

We took an hour just to relax after the long drive before we ventured out in to the Park. Accept for the road from the entrance gate to the camp, Mountain Zebra NP also has two loops one of 12km (Rooiplaat) and the other 28km (Kranskop), we decided to do the former one. The Rooiplaat loop takes one onto a "mountain" and runs on top of the escarpment. On this loop we saw Vervet Monkeys, Rock dassie, Black wildebeest, Blesbuck, Springbuck, Red hartebeest, Ostrich and Cape Mountain Zebra. Being high up it is quite chilly. There are very few trees and open grass land predominates. As DinkyBird mentioned the animals in this Park is quite skittish so good photo opportunities was very few.

After our drive we stopped at the little shop at reception to buy wood for the braai. The shop keep cool drinks, some beer and coolers, sweets, ice cream, ice (when in supply), wood (ask at the pay point as it is kept in the back), some T-shirts, hats, stuffed animals, postcards, field guides and a couple of books on Kruger. The town of Cradock is only 22km from camp so if need be you can drive there for provisions. We enjoyed a nice braai, well as much as one can enjoy a braai with children screaming and running around and even noisier parents drinking to much alcohol and telling stupid jokes. After our long day which started at 1am we turned in early and not even the noise outside could keep us awake. After a couple of hours it became apparent why we enjoy bungalows more than camping. Suddenly every inch of our bodies became aware of the extreme cold!! WARNING, if you visit MZNP take along plenty of warms clothes, warm water bottle and lots of newspaper to put under the mattress for isolation, this place get cold at night!

Saturday arrived with White-browed Sparrow-weavers singing a "Good day" to the morning. After a hot shower (also the last for the weekend), my body started to recover from the icy night. A quick cup of coffee and a couple of Ouma rusk and off we went to drive the longer Kranskop loop. Reaching the plateau we added another new tick to our bird list, a beautiful Rufous-chested (Redbreasted) Sparrowhawk. The Kranskop loop runs on top of the same "mountain" as Rooiplaat but later on makes it way down to the bottom into more thorn tree veld. We saw the same animals as on the Rooiplaat loop but also adding Mountain reedbuck, Grey rhebuck, Buffalo, one Blackbacked jackal, Steenbok, Ground squirrels and Yellow mongoose (at least that’s what we think they were).

We returned to camp at 11:30 for a late brunch / early lunch. After lazing around camp we decided to do the short walking trail which start at camp. There are actually two trails, Imbali and Black Eagle. At the point where the Black Eagle and Imbali trails split my SO decided to return to camp while I said I’ll quickly do the Black Eagle route. That "quickly" took me 2.5 hours!!! Sections of the trail are tiring as you climb steeply up the surrounding mountains but the views make up for it. I did get to see a Verreaux’s (Black) Eagle clasping a small dassie flying over head and also found the dark form of the Mountain Wheatear (Chat). This route gives excellent views of the Park and the whole camp so put on your hiking shoes and start walking. Back at camp it was time to light the fire and just enjoy the mood. Bedtime was quite an operation as this time we dressed for the occasion, myself wearing 2 T-shirts, a long sleeve top, track suit top and pants, wool socks and donning my SO’s polar fleece cap (beanie)!! This time round the only part that froze was the areas of my face that was not covered!

On Sunday we drove the bottom part of the Kranskop loop visiting the picnic areas and trying to add more birds to or list. We returned to camp at 10:00 having breakfast, resting a while before doing the first part of the Black Eagle trail again so that I can take photos of the Dark form of the Mountain Wheatear (Chat). SO stretched herself out on a rock while I ran about, crawl about and pleaded for an hour with Mr Bird to stand still to enable me to take a photo. It seems that the birds in that area does not understand Afrikaans or English because he did not oblige. On the way back I took photos of the pool area but the pool’s water is even colder than the water in the sea down here in Cape Town! The afternoon was spent reading and Sunday evening we had supper at the restaurant. I ordered the Lamb Shank on a bed of samp and beans and it was really good. At 7pm the rain came and it rained the whole night. One positive of the rain and accompanying clouds was that the night was much warmer than the previous two.

Monday morning 6am and it was still raining. As we had a ±800km journey home we had no choice but to break camp in the rain and by 7am we were on our way. We enjoyed our time at MZNP but a few things did bother us a bit. Will I drive 800km again to just visit this Park? No. Will I include the Park in my itinerary when in the area again? Definitely!

As to birding we only managed 51 bird species which included 9 new ones for me and 10 new one for Magdeline

This bothered us a bit:
1. Being Easter weekend the camp was very full and noise levels very high. There were groups of people from Cradock that stayed in camp the whole weekend just drinking and making noise and also the 4 families from PE that camp close to us.

2. As is normal with ablution facilities when a lot of people are around the warm water runs out. The gripe we have with the ablutions is that the lights seems to be connected to a light sensor. This means that while it is still reasonable light outside when the lights come on or goes off, it is still very dark inside the ablution facility itself.

3. There are no signs telling people not to feed the animals and monkey feeding was at the order of the day, resulting in monkeys raiding tents that is not closed properly even taking stuff from inside caravans.

Things to note:
1. This place get very cold at night, plan accordingly if you are going to camp. Take some newspaper with to line the tent floor where your mattress is going to be as this helps a lot.
2. We were lucky to be close to a power box so our 2 x 5m lead could reach the tent but rather invest in a 20m lead or maybe longer. You do not need the "blue plug" at MZP.
3. Make sure your tent is locked and foodstuffs packed away because the monkeys will take anything they can get their hands on.
4. The kitchen has 2 double basins for doing dishes, a microwave and a hot water urn
5. The shop is very basic so rather bring everything you need.
6. This is a small camp so try and plan your visit outside of school holidays or long weekends
7. I personally think that certain sections of the Kranskop loop will not be drivable by normal sedan when the area receives lots of rain, especially the middle section where the road turns back towards camp.
8. If you have not yet visited this Park what is your problem?

Post subject: Snow in Mountain Zebra
Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:53 am 
Guru
Guru

Winter has arrived early at Mountain Zebra National Park, with snow falling on Kranskop last weekend (21st & 22nd May).

Better pack your winter warmers when visiting!

Have a look at this photo, taken by one of our visitors:

Post subject: Snow in the Karoo
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, you heard right...it snowed..Wendy sent these pictures of staff members kids messing around in the snow...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Diannet wrote

Quote:
snowing at Mountain Zebra..

I grew up in that part of the world on a farm about 40km Mountain Zebra, still have family on the farm and they say the mountains in the area covered in snow and the passes between Middelburg and Graaff Reinet are closed from the snow, also bitterly bitterly cold there. Had some rain as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:22 pm 

Hi Guys
Glad you like the photos that was sent last week. I looked through our weather recordings for the past 5 years, and found that every year we had snow on the Nuveldt Mountains. Interesting is that 2001, 2002 and again this year snow was recorded on the same dates which is 22 and 23 July.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

How much of a problem are the ants when you are camping? Are they a constant pest to everybody? (especially small children)

I used to camp everywhere, but somehow always stayed in a chalet in MZNP.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We were there in March. As long as you have shoes on, its not a problem. I can't really remember during the day, but I can remember them the evening while setting the camp up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:02 pm 

Did not see any ant there during the Easter Weekend. Maybe they took part in the Easter egg hunt our neighbours had

Post subject: Did you know? Some facts on Mountain Zebra.
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:37 pm 

-Did you know that a great part of MZNP falls within in the Eastern Mixed Nama-Karoo vegetation type, and only 1.08% of this vegetation type is presently conserved in the country?
- Did you know that MZNP recorded 680 plant species in 2002, when the park was only 16 000 ha in size? Compared to other arid parks, MZNP got a very high species richness - 5.05 species per 100 ha.
- Did you know that MZNP is home to 13 protected plant species listed on the red data list?The one species Kniphofia acraea, was only known to have occurred in MZNP, till 2004 when another population was found in the Bosberg area of the Eastern Cape.
- Did you know that the Cape Mountain Zebra is still one of the rarest land mammals in South Africa, and also endemic to SA?
- Did you know that MZNP introduced cape buffalo a decade ago, and also the rare desert black rhino, Diceros bicornis bicornis?
- Did you know that the first shoot of the film "The story of an African farm" ,written by Olive Schreiner, was shot on location in MZNP?
- Did you know that MZNP is also rich in cultural history dating back to when the SAN people occupied the area and that the Doornhoek guest house is a proclaimed museum.
-Did you know that MZNP was expanded from 6535 ha in 1996 to the current 28 412 ha in just 10 years?
- Did you know that MZNP introduced decease-free cape buffalo a decade ago, as well as the desert black rhino, Diceros bicornis bicornis.
- Did you know that cheetah will be introduced,within the next six months, into MZNP?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It snowed lightly again on the mountains around Mountain Zebra Park last night.

Post subject: Comment
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi and thank you for the interesting info MZ-Guru! :)

I have two questions: 1. Do leopards occur in MZNP and if they do (I'm sure they must,) are they seen regularly?

2. Is this desert black rhino the same sub-species as found in Namibia? Could you please share some more info on this magnificent creature :?:

I think the re-introduction of cheetah is a great initiative. Surely the Karoo and openness thereof will fit them like a glove!
Many thanks...
:wink:

Post subject: Re: Comment
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:10 pm 

Yes, leopards occur in MZ, although no positive sightings were reported yet by myself or field rangers. A month ago we received a report from a visitor that said the he saw a leopard in the Doornhoek area. Fencing contractors reported spoor in the Wilgerboomriver area. Two years ago some predator, we believe it is leopard, killed all the mountain zebra mares of one of our neighbours. Mountain zebra as a prey species is bit big for a leopard but all the signs and spoor indicated that it was a leopard. The only pradator big enough to kill zebra is lion, and they do not roam freely in the eastern cape. A farmer also reported that he saw the leopard on his farm.

The black rhino in MZ is the namibian subspecies, that previously occurred through out Namibie and the arid areas of the old cape province. It is believed that this sub-species is a bit bigger than the lowveld cousin , Diceros bicornis minor. Otherwise it is very difficult to differentiate between the two sub-species. The behaviour of the two sub-species is also very similar. The black rhino in MZ is rarely seen and mostly nocturnal, except in the winter months when they also brows during the day. They are mostly solitary but do congregate and form temporary "groups". A few times the rhino were all seen together, and they mingled without showing aggression towards each other. Their main source of food is Acacia karoo, Rhus lancea, Rhus longispina, Lycium oxycarpon and Diospyros lycioides. Some forbs and karoobossies like ganna, kapokbos and Pentzia spp. are also targeted.

Hope this information is of any help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next