Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mountain Zebra: Info/Advice
Unread postPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Thanx Bartman! Great sighting! :clap: :thumbs_up:
Where did you see the cheetahs this time?

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great stuff! Amazing to hear how well the cheetah are doing!
Will have to plan another great trek to MZNP some time (and hopefully include Addo)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 am 

These guys were sitting next to the main road between the last speedbump and the entance to the new 4x4 loop. They were about 20m from the road.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bartman

Thanks for the good news about the cheetahs in MZNP -- 29 is an amazing number after only a few years in this park! I am sorry they will be collaring ALL of them -- quite difficult to get a decent pic of a cheetah when it looks like a zoo animal, collar and all (check them in Kgalagadi -- beautiful, but look uncomfortable with collars!)...

I was wondering -- why not send a few of them to Karoo National Park, where the to-be-introduced lions will keep their numbers down? And send a few more to Addo Main Game Viewing area -- last year they had to cull a few hundred warthog there due to overpopulation -- let the cheetahs help them! The lions and hyenas can also help to keep cheetah numbers in check, and the whole system will be more balanced...and don't say Addo bush is too thick -- the elephant have thinned it out a lot around the Woodlands area up to Carol's Rest. Same for the area around Hapoor. Plenty of open fields further south too. Just dreaming!
Hopefully I can see these young lions in December!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post subject: Family Cottages in MZNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:12 pm 

Hullo all- we are planning a trip, just a night or two, (our first) to MZNP, hopefully in July. Do the family cottages all have indoor fireplaces as in the photos? Are the kitchens stocked with utensils? Is there a park shop and how well stocked are they? Can anyone suggest what number cottage would be the best to go for if we had a choice? Thank you :D

Post subject: Re: Family Cottages in MZNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 pm 

Hi Carolynn

We have stayed in 8 & 9 on a few occasions. Both were identical and had fireplaces. I suggest you take dry wood with because the wood bought from the shop there is very wet and you'll go through a whole box of blitz before the wood catches... :x

Kitchens are very neat and fully stocked with all you need. I hear that the best views are from cottage 18 to 20.

The shop has basic foods if you need but don't rely on buying whatever you need from there. They have more curios etc than foodstuff.

Enjoy the park.... it is a great place. :D

Cheers

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:31 pm 
Guru
Guru

Yes, all the family cottages have fireplaces.

There is a Spar supermarket in the nearby town of Cradock for all your grocery needs. There is also a restuarant at the Park if you want to eat out.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:31 pm 

justbeen there. i agree with bartman. cottages are fully equipped. shop is basic, but cradock is very close.

go for it and enjoy the fun this park has to offer

I say 'no bail to poachers', name and shame them, even at a sniff of suspicion. Lets get rid of them quickly

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:09 pm 

Does the Restaurant Jabulani opens at the 24.12.2010?
Greetings.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi elle79
The restuarant at Mountain Zebra NP will be during it's usual operating hours on 24 and 25 December. It opens at 07h30 in the morning for breakfast and the last table seatings are taken at 19h15 in the evening for dinner.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:42 am 

A friend & I were in Zebra park from Wednesday 17th to Saturday 20th November 2010 .

We came across this Gemsbok on the way to Kranskop . It was in such poor condition that it was actually stumbling....almost fell over ! This was one of only two that we saw during our three days of traveling extensively throughout the park. Can anyone tell me what is the possible cause of this animal's poor condition AND, how many GEMSBOK are left in the Zebra park ?

Secondly, we were on the lookout for steenbok which, on previous visits were quite plentiful......especially around the Ubejane loop area . During our three days of much travel ( from 06:00 - 19 : 00 ) we saw TWO . Is there any known reason for their decline ?

Lastly, although the camp area has been electrified, we saw a huge baboon running through the camping area on Friday (19th). The troupe of monkeys are also still present inside the camp area .We thought the Electrified fence was there to keep these animals outside of the camping area ? I might add here that a single Male ? Baboon was a huge nuisance in the camp during my stay in October 2008....it actually tore a hole in my tent and damaged equipment belonging to a fellow camper the same day.

Why can't this rouge not be removed permantly ?

Here are a few pictures taken during our visit which was very enjoyable.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi J.J.

We received the same message by email from Trevor Butler so I assume he is your friend :)

Here is the answer we sent Trevor by email:

The poor condition of the gemsbok you saw could be due to a number of reasons, including poor grazing (because of the drought), old age or even its sexual condition. If it’s a male, it may have been fighting for dominance/territory and lost condition due to stress, injury, and trauma. The March 2010 census in Mountain Zebra National Park counted 160 gemsbok.

The reduction in steenbok numbers has been noted and is most likely due to increased predation. We are currently in the process of translocating cheetah out of the Park to reduce their numbers and thus their impact on prey species. We are also monitoring the jackal numbers to assess their impact on various prey species and ascertain whether there is an overpopulation.

The electric fence erected around the rest camp is to prevent rhino, buffalo and cheetah from entering the rest camp. Baboons and monkeys can still jump over the fence. Dominant (“rogue”) male baboons have been put down in the past when they have become serious problems, but unfortunately this usually opens up a niche for another dominant male to enter the territory and take over. We do have notices in the accommodation units warning visitors not to feed monkeys or baboons since this can add to the problem.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm 

Thanx for the answer...yes Trevor is my friend.

Sorry for asking the same questions twice.

Post subject: Assistance / Information Required to Plan Next Trip
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello

i am planning a trip to the Frontier parks and have the following plan so far:

April 22 till May 2 (2011) - starting and ending in Pretoria

MZNP - 3 nights
Karoo - 4 nights
Mokala - 3 nights

I have the following questions:

1. Do you think i have the number of nights in each location correct or what would you suggest?

2. Both MZNP and Karoo have 4x4 trails. I will be travelling in a hilux KZTE and have done quite a bit of driving off road (RTP, Bitterpan etc). How difficult are the trails taking into consideration all the rain?

3. Does anyone know if the Camdeboo accommodation is on track to be opened April 2011? If not can someone recommend accommodation in Graaff-Reinet?

4. If you where to do night drives would you do one a each or which one would you choose?

5. What can i expect from a sightings point of view (not looking for big 5)?

6. In MZNP would stay in the main camp or is it worth going to the 4x2 Mountain Cottage?

7. What are the restaurants like - i know Mokala is fantastic?

Thanks

I am against hotels in KNP

Post subject: Mountain Zebra Mountain Hut
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Which is the best one 2 stay in? Mthombo Mountain Hut or Bakana Mountain Hut?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next