Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo - Finally
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes, Addo is definitely a great place and your wonderful photos have done it more than justice :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi PeterPM, :yaya:

Yes that was me that told you about the lions, at the time I was wondering if it was not you because I had read your post about your planned trip, I also remember the three little excited faces in the back of your vehicle. I am so pleased that you were able to see the lions. When I went back a bit later they were still there and that is when I took the pics of the elephant and the lions.
I also uncounted that big ellie bull on may way out of the Park. I noticed the ellie in the thick bush as I drove past. I stopped and reversed back and as I stopped he decided to come out of the bush and into the road. He was very calm and showed no stress so I was able to watch him for a while. It was getting dark already so sorry no good pics to share.
You guys had some great sighting and I am very pleased for you and great to hear that you have booked already for Jan 2012. A word of warning, Jan can become very hot. A good time to see game then is early morning and late afternoon. Mid day is a good time to find the ellies at the water holes having there daily mud bath to cool off, also a great time to watch the little ones interacting with each other.
All the best
Ronnie

For "Addo Park Experiences" go to:- HERE

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 am 

@ Micetta, thank you for the guidance on posting the photo's, it took awhile. :thumbs_up:

@Ronnie, Thank you once again for sharing that lion sighting. It must be fantastic living so close to Addo and "popping in" when you have the time. For our January visit we are cutting our stay in the Cedarberg short in order to visit Addo, and believe me it is just as hot as anywhere else in the country. Besides the hotter the day the more rewarding the sundowner!

Have a splendid week everybody!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D Hi PeterPM :D

Just caught up with you and Addo. Yes, I was also absolutely surprised at the neatness and stylish accommodation of Addo during my first visit :dance: It is really a pleasure to stay there, staff also very accommodating and friendly :thumbs_up:

So glad you saw the lions that escaped us at Easter. Your photos are really great, keep coming :popcorn:

Kruger is waiting for me, LS from 14 - 21 July :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 am 

@PeterPM - thank you for the trip report and beautiful photos - glad you enjoyed your stay. Hoping to have good sightings there on Friday.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 am 

@Leanawel, that lion sighting was all thanks to RonnieL. Without him there we would have missed them completely. I am hoping to get back to Kruger next year, it is quite a long haul from Somerset West :( Here's to a great time with fantastic sightings for you.

@Carolynn - another PE'er. Have a blast and thank you for reading my TR.

I was perusing Ronniel's TR about the lion kill at woodlands over the weekend, and both my wife and I said the same thing - "Imagine being able to pop into Addo for the day" I suppose the same goes for those living in Phalaborwa and Nelspruit. Lucky Fish!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi PeterPM,
Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments you posted about Addo Elephant National Park. I have forwarded these to the management and staff as it is always encouraging to hear of good service and experiences from our visitors.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D GURU

Count me in with PeterPM. Addo and the staff, the accommodation, roads - just everything is 5 STAR.
:thumbs_up:

Leana

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:58 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks Leana, I'll convey your compliments too :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 am 

stayed in Addo for two days and wanted to confirm what a beautiful park it is. We saw 6 Secretary birds in about a half hour, the famed group of three lions that seems to roam about unabated on both days, and a caracal crossed the road in front of us while on our way to breakfast. Wonderful place to just sit and watch wildlife or enjoy the views since it's pretty easy to get back to camp from almost anywhere in the upper half of the park.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Our 3 day stay in Addo from 26 - 28 June was most enjoyable, although we had a rainy trip from Wildernis NP to Addo the Sunday, but as we arrived in Addo, the rain was gone, but it got colder. The Rondawals where we stayed was most comfortable and we experienced the service and food at restaurant par excellence. We explored the Hapoor and Rooidam areas first and found a number of jackals, kudus, a dugga-boy or two and a number of ellies around. Then we explored the Gorah loop and Carol's rest areas where we enjoyed thew beautiful landscape with open field with the pajama-guys breaking the green with their white and black stripes and eland in the far distant - too far for a nice photo.
The second day - after a trip around Gorah loop, midday we decided to explore the southern part i.e. from Hapoor dam to Vukani, Mbotyi and Ngulube loop and it was interesting to see the changes in vegetation and enjoyed the landscape with a few of the normal antelope and warthog. On our way back on the hill between the south gate (middle of park) and Marion Bree waterhole we got a beautiful lion sighting male in the grass and a collared female came and lay in the road in front of us. Time ran out and we had to head back to camp.
The next morning we went back to this patch and was rewarded with a sighting of 2R's. We watched them for a while and then the secretary bird appeared searching the long grass, where the lions were the previous day. On our way back, we encountered a elephant in the road walking towards us, so we reversed for more than 2km as we had a hairraising encounter in Kruger a year ago, so we have learned about the ones that are alone. Eventually we got an open area so we could demonstrate that we are not in competition for the road which he respected. Just further down this same road, an hyena approached us walking past us and into the bush. We also observed a whole herd of eland on the one hill and a number of buffalo grazing next to the road next to small stream. So this section of road was our 'golden patch for the 3 days' :cam: as we thoroughly enjoyed the time in Addo. Next off we went to Mountain Zebra for 2 days.
--------------------
Kruger: 10-18 Dec'11

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 am 

Nice TR there Kaapsedraai. We had friends who went to Addo a week after us and they too had fantastic lion sightings near the Marion Bree. Those Addo ellies are lot more docile than their Kruger and Pilansberg cousins but their shear size can be very intimidating.

@kemit, I so desperately wanted to spot caracal. I got my wish, believe it or not, on the Rooi Els road a week later when I got back.

I am looking forward to Addo in January 2012.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
PeterM, I have never seen a caracal in the wild and was rewarded with my first sighting in MZNP (I have posted a pic there).
Another first for me was a sighting of a secretarybird - there is/was one at World of Birds in Houtbay with a woodenleg. In Addo, I got 2 sightings of them as per the pic.

-----------
Kruger: 10-18 Dec'11

Post subject: Addo NP - transport to and accommodation in
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 am 

older female traveling alone via Baz bus in April 2012 and want to stay in and see Addo NP. Have no private transport. How can I get from Port Elizabeth where Baz bus will drop me to Addo NP and where is the most economical place to stay within the park as a solo traveler not traveling with backpacking supplies or sleeping bag. Thanks, Susan

Post subject: Re: Addo NP - transport to and accommodation in
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum susan1.

I cannot help you with travelling to Addo. I don't know if there is reliable transport to & from PE, except to suggest you look at hiring a car in PE and driving yourself around. The cost will be offset by not taking guided tours. You only need a basic car.

One can buy a very good map book for about R50. It includes distances, and pics of the anmals & birds you are likely to see, plus other info.

You can stay in the safari tents at the main camp and eat at the restaurant. That is probably the least expensive option.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next