Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Addo - Finally
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm 

Good day forum members.
I have been perusing this forum and essentially the web cams to get my regular "fix" for a few months now, and perhaps it is time for a brief introduction. I reside in Somerset West, have the most beautiful wife and 3 of the most darling daughters any man can ask for.

We have finally got our act together and secured a caravan site in Addo for the long weekend. To say that we are bouncing off the walls with excitement is an understatement. Just to get out to smell, hear, see, experience and feel the bush has got us all itching. Hopefully there will be no late night revelers to spoil the experience.

I am assuming that the electrical connections are all standard 16 amp plugs and that is safe to walk around the camp site at night.

We are praying for good weather, good sightings and a memorable time.

Peter.

Post subject: Re: Addo - Finally
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:21 pm 

A warm welcome to you Peter - from a fellow SW'er :wink:

I am not into amps, but I can assure you that the elec plugs/connection boxes in the camp site at Addo are the same as one finds anywhere else.

And yes, it is safe to walk around the campsite at night. Obviously one needs to take a torch with you and be on the lookout. A walk in the dark to the benches that overlook the main waterhole outside the camp, which is lit at night (and on which there is a webcam) is a highlight.

May you have good weather - I am sure you will have good sightings, and create wonderful memories!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:01 am 

Hi Peter

Addo is an awesome place to camp with the family and is very well kitted out with electrical boxes and kitchen. You must take a walk to both the dams at night (the flood lit one and the one in front of the tented camp) we have seen Black Rhino and Buffalo on two occassions drinking at the waterholes.

A word of advice don't leave food lying around and make sure your food is in a secure container and rubbish bins are secure. Our neighbour's tent was looted by monkeys and jackals paid us a visit during the night.

A word of caution: Visiting our beautiful parks is like a drug. One visit and you hooked, then you constantly need your fix. :lol:

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 pm 

Thank you Dinkybird and Joubie. My wife and I both had the privilege of visiting the Timbavati area on many occasions when we were younger. So we fully are aware of how addictive the bush can be. In fact this is probably the reason why we are trying to educate our kids in this area, to give them the same passion for wildlife as we both have.

Can anyone give the approximate travelling time from Somerset West / Cape Town? Can this be done comfortably in 1 day or is it best to stop over?

Sunday night and the trailer is packed, in fact all we need is fresh supplies and then we are on the road.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:58 pm 

Can anyone give the approximate travelling time from Somerset West / Cape Town? Can this be done comfortably in 1 day or is it best to stop over?

It is about seven and half hours drive.No need to stop over.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 pm 

Thank you Tiko, that is a great help. I naturally assume that the 7.5 hrs is at the legal speed limit??

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome PeterPM

Being a (very) regular visitor to Kruger, I was pleasantly surprised by a visit to Addo two years ago. Addo is a great park, completely different from Kruger, but you will for sure get the "bush feeling", enjoy the waterhole very near to the camping site and the neatness of the park. Just take most of your goodies, the shop is VERY expensive :whistle: Enjoy your stay :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:56 pm 

Thank you Leanawel, I can imagine that the shop would be pricier than on the "outside" due to the convenience factor. I must say I have been keeping my eye in the webcam, but I am yet to see anything more than a flock of birds :lol:
2 more sleeps and we are out of here. Just booked for Wednesday night at Matyholweni thanks to the info from Tiko (re: travelling times).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:10 pm 

PeterPM, we went to Plett in April and there were 7 (yip, seven!) road works stops along the road between SW and Plett. If you are caught at these stops, one can sit for up to 20mins at each one. We did. So factor that into your travel time. Otherwise the road between SW and Addo is good and allows for comfortable travel.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D You will be surprised by the visitors to the waterhole. Being winter, the visitors may be less, but I saw BIG ellie recently on the cam. There are a few very beautiful kudu bulls staying in the vicinity of the water. The big dams or waterholes outside camp will give you good sightings of ellies and buffalo. The baby ellies are very cute and you will enjoy them :dance: On our last visit (Easter), we did not see the lions, because they moved more south nearer to Matyholweni, so maybe a night there will be just the right decision :thumbs_up: Back to the shop :hmz: this one is much more expensive than the shops in Kruger. But it is well stocked for emergencies. Weather will be great, after the last rains, I think you can expect a bit of sun. Be sure to give us a report of you stay there, but most of all....ENJOY :thumbs_up:

Biyamiti 14/7; Orpen 15,16/7, Lower Sabie 17,18,19,20 July.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi PeterPM

I am also from Somerset West, and a fan of Addo!
Your kids will love the camp site, with lots of monkeys, and at night you often see a genet wandering around the fireplaces.
You must take the kids to the playground near the new complex below the restaurant, and if there are ellies at the waterhole, go to the underground hide, where you get really close to them.
Very special -- have picnic breakfast, lunch, tea, whatever at Jack's picnic site, but keep an eye on the kids here, since lions have been know to enter it.
A lookout like Domkrag is also lovely to relax on the benches and have a snack or evening sip while watching elephants drinking etc.
Do check the sightings board -- elephants prefer different areas -- in April the rage was around those open fields near Carol's Rest, where they were digging up the short new grass.
If not there, make sure you visit Hapoor waterhole on a hot morning, there could be LOTS of elephants all around you!
IF there are too many roadworks on the N2 (there were NONE over Easter weekend, but plenty just before), then come back via Willowmore, Oudtshoorn, R62 to Barrydale...
Have a wonderful time!

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:55 pm 

@Leanawel The webcam is a necessary distraction during a hectic day, unfortunately work always has to prevail. The shop is always handy for a lekkerr icecream on a hot day - hopefully they have! Thanks for the advice.

@FvH Thank you for the info. It is really fantastic to get a "heads up" before going into unfamiliar territory. I am taking notes on your recommendations. It seems that the sightings board is a point to start. I remember sightings boards when I was a youngster, the truth was always stretched and always in wrong direction :whistle: . Thankfully todays kids are better behaved :shock: .

Just noted the weather for the weekend, here's to at least 1 hot morning!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:12 pm 

Peter, another tip is to ask the gate attendant at the entrance gate to the game area for tips or what he has heard as to where the good sightings are. People often share their sightings with him when they leave the game area.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:24 pm 

PeterPM wrote:
Thank you Leanawel, I can imagine that the shop would be pricier than on the "outside" due to the convenience factor. I must say I have been keeping my eye in the webcam, but I am yet to see anything more than a flock of birds :lol:
2 more sleeps and we are out of here. Just booked for Wednesday night at Matyholweni thanks to the info from Tiko (re: travelling times).

I will be there too wednesday late afternoon i hope. Same camp but i will be in a cottage. From what i saw these are very nice.
Maybe i see you there. From what i have heard the birding most be good also.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:05 pm 

Hi Bart47, Yip we are in a family cottage for the 1st night. No fun setting up tents at night. We will be arriving late afternoon as well. I must confess, it has been such a long time that I did active birding. I think its going to be a whole new learning curve.