Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Woody Cape Mammals
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:03 am 

Hi

I've been wondering what mammals (large and small) can be seen in the Woody Cape section of Addo NP?

I was hoping that maybe SANParks has an official list for only the Woody Cape section? There is a lot of information for the main section of the park, but I can't find much information for the coastal and forest areas...

I've heard talk about Brown Hyena, but have anybody actually seen one? I've walked along the coast once and encountered two dogs (border collies) fairly deep into the dunes section. Tracks alone can't be enough to be sure that Brown Hyena are around, but maybe their tracks are distinguishable from a domestic dogs?

I also recall hearing something about Oribi in the Woody Cape section (Langvlakte?), but I can’t figure out where they would be? Are they in a breeding enclosure or “free roaming”? (Do we have a chance to see them when visiting this section of the park?)

If large herbivores/carnivores are reintroduced into this section of the park won’t they conflict with the commercial farming that happens in this area?
I’ve also wondered about the grassy areas in this section. Are they all farm land, or are some sections part of the reserve? Are there any naturally occurring grassland, or are all a result of the farming activity?

Many questions I know, but any information would be much appreciated. :redface:

Post subject: Re: Woody Cape Mammals
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 pm 

I'd also be very interested to read answers to your questions.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Kooning,
Apologies that it took a while to reply to your questions, I had to do a bit of consulting :) There is a species list for the Woody Cape section and I can email it to you if you send your email address via megan.taplin@sanparks.org

Brown hyena do occur in the Woody Cape area but are very scarce and elusive. There have been no confirmed positive sightings but our rangers - many of whom have worked there for many years - have reported that they have seen tracks. Yes, they can be distinguished from domestic dog tracks.

The oribi, buffalo, red hartebeest, eland and zebra that occur in this fenced area (free-roaming) are on the Langvlakte contractual area of the Park. The Intsomi Lodge in this area is currently not operating at the moment because operations are being restructured.

The grassy areas here are natural grasslands. In terms of Park expansion, we do not aim to expand the Park into the dairy farming areas here because it does not make economic sense to convert from the highly profitable farming activities (it's called "the golden mile") to ecotourism. We concentrate on maintaining the integrity of the forest and coastal & marine systems which do currently fall under national park protection.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:06 pm 

Hi, been watching this thread for a reply too:)

I'd like to know are there any baboons in this section?

Also what type of animals do hikers in this area likely to come accross?

thnx

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:01 pm 

As far as I know Baboons occor in Addo (Megan please correckt if I´m wrong). Hiking in Addo? never heard of that. you have to be aware that in the main section Lion sneak around. Sometimes there are signs of the Leopard (please check up Addo thread--> mamals). A foto trap traped it. But they are rare. Anyway I´m not aware that hiking without a Ranger is allowed. If you hike with a Ranger (like in Kruger) you can see,if lucky, everything that you could see in the car. Actually I have no clue but you may encounter Snakes in summer. If i´m not wrong informed Poff Adder, certain Cobras, Rock Python (???) exist. Raptors could be seen aswell. Jackals and so on. Certain Antelops.

@ Magen if I wrote something wrong please correckt me I´m not 100% sure if my stattemens are correkt.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mal,
Please just read through your posts to correct your errors before completing your posts.
It will make it a lot easier for us all to read and respond.
Many thanks,
kite :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Malealea wrote:
Hiking in Addo? never heard of that. you have to be aware that in the main section Lion sneak around. Sometimes there are signs of the Leopard (please check up Addo thread--> mamals). A foto trap traped it. But they are rare. Anyway I´m not aware that hiking without a Ranger is allowed.

The Woody Cape section of Addo is not part of the main park which means that there is no chance of running into lion. Signs of leopard have been spotted in this area of the park (the Alexandria forests), but they are very weary of humans and should not pose a threat.

This section has a day hiking trail and a two day hiking trail through the forest, dunes, etc. the trails are NOT guided as they are well sign posted and there is no dangerous game in the section.

Baboons occur naturally in the areas surrounding this section so I assume that they can be sighted in the Woody Cape section.

Personally, one of the most exciting creatures to hear and encounter is these parts in these parts is the nocturnal Tree Dassie, it has the most eerie sound!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:46 am 

BushFairy wrote:
This section has a day hiking trail and a two day hiking trail through the forest, dunes, etc. the trails are NOT guided as they are well sign posted and there is no dangerous game in the section.

Baboons occur naturally in the areas surrounding this section so I assume that they can be sighted in the Woody Cape section.

Its the 2 day trail i really want to go on, with a group of friends.

i have been planning this soo long! i just hope we get to go this month..

Why i asked about the baboons is because i've had a nasty experience with them in the past. hiking in drakensburg area with my sister we came across an aggressive one and were chased by it. Definitely wanted food as it was scavenging around, and decided to see if we have or something :?
Anyhow that left me kinda weary of baboons.

How are the temperament of those in woody cape? I'm thinking that perhaps not as much people hike there and so the baboons wouldn't be spoiled for food as they are in CT and the burg?

thnx for any replies

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:39 pm 

@ Malealea- I found your post very easy to read, and understand that English is probably not your first language - thanks for your contribution.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:41 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Leopard Tracker,
There are no baboons in the Woody cape section of the park so you don't need to watch out for those on the 2-day Alexandria hiking trail or the 7-km Dassie trail. Baboons occur in the Nyathi, Zuurberg, Kabiouga and Darlington sections of the Park, not in Addo main camp. They have been sighted infrequently on the Colchester side too.

If you are planning to do the trail in summer/warmer weather, you need to keep an eye out for snakes - puffadders, cobras and night adders occur here. But this is general practice on any hiking trail to keep an eye out for snakes.
You will find in the forest that its best to allow one of your friends to take the lead so that they walk into the spiderwebs first :lol:
Animals that occur in the forest include bushbuck (you might see these if you walk quietly), duiker, bushpig (you might see digging signs), porcupine (you might see signs of gnawing on tree bark/roots). Brown hyena and leopard tracks have been seen but the animals themselves have not been seen in the past over 30 years. Tree dassies can sometimes be heard at night.
The birdlife in the forest is wonderful. knysna touracos, forest weavers, trumpeter hornbills are a few highlights. I saw a long-crested eagle once on the outskirts of the forest and ground hornbills a few times in the pastures near the forest.
Along the coast, keep an eye out for the coastal birds, dolphins in the waves (in groups of up to 1000s!) and whales in season. You might also see tracks of kudu, jackal, bushbuck, duiker and the pygmy hairy-footed gerbil in the dunefields.

All I can say is this is a fantastic trail to do - I've done it four times - so go for it :thumbs_up: