Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo: Top Spots
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip for my mother and I to Addo for the first week of May and I wanted to ask what anyone planning a safari wants to know: where are the best spots to go to? We will have our own car (probably a 4x4) and are staying at Matyholweni.
I know a lot of what you experience is up to luck but I wanted to know if there are any sites to put at the top of my list---I've done some searching through the forum and have noted that Spekboom hide, Hapoor, and Guarrie dams are great. Any others?

Thanks in advance: Either way, this will be a trip to remember!

:dance:

Post subject: Re: Addo's Top Spots
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tex,

Make your way down to the southern area early (just before you go up the steep hill and cross the main road to the very southern half), if you are at main rest camp. We saw black rhino, lion and caracal at the same area on different days.
Be at the hide around dust to see the black rhino and also check out the left of the hide at night, we saw bushpig, buffalo..close and someone else saw porcupine.

have a great trip
john

Month in Kruger July/August 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:09 pm 

Thanks John! I'll be sure to have a look. Take care

Tessa

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tex...
We found the Gorah loop to be very successful...from ellies, to hyena, and buffs...the Domkrag loop is also a great fave (caracal, meerkats, ellies)...those are in the north and it is worth a trip up...the north is more open than the south...so you have better luck seeing things. The south is very scenic, but if it isn't on the road, it is tough to see.
If you would like check out my thread 'KTF hooked most anticipated adventure'...we have been in SA for nearly a year...and we've seen some great sights. I am presently writing about our trip to Addo from this past Feb. The Addo trip began on page 36!
Have fun planning and I wish you lots of good sightings...you will have a great trip no matter what..it is a pretty place.
All the best...KTF

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
You can drive th whole of the 'old' section in a morning Tex, but about 10h00 get to Hapoor waterhole. The eles come in their hundreds.

Carol's rest in the afternoons can also be productive.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Tex! We were in Addo end of March - and really enjoyed it! :thumbs_up: The game really move around quite a bit and you can get good sightings ANYWHERE in the park. Luckily the park is not all that big - and therefor it is easy to see most of it - even in short period. I also loved the Gorah Loop and Carrols Rest - lots of general game in the open area. Everytime we went there we would see Eland, Red Hartebeest, Zebra and Buffalo! During our time there Addo was very wet - pools of water everywhere in the bush, so the waterholes were not as productive as they are normally. You can go check my TR (still in progress) - "Ellies and Otters - Addo and SRM" - if you want to see where we saw what.

Oh yes - and the sightings boards also helped a lot - so keep your eye on them once you are there! :thumbs_up:

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello Tex

You have received a lot of good advice already.

I was there last week, and Hapoor had NOT ONE ELEPHANT in 3 days (we were there quite often), but herds of elephants, zebra, eland and kudu were plentiful on the Gorah loop plains -- just drive up Zuurkop and spy the land out from the viewpoint, then go and enjoy VERY close interaction with big herds of elephants. It seems as if they are enjoying digging out the fresh new grass...

I suspect the big herds of ellies around Hapoor have moved south -- my sons saw a herd of 70 in the Matyholweni area last month!
They also saw a caracal catching a dove in the road on Sunday (very close to Marion Baree). The pride of three young lions were around Marion Baree, Hapoor (saw remains of a fresh kill there) and Mbalala loop nearly every day. A lioness with cubs is frequently seen on the Matyholweni loops (lately on the biggest northwestern loop).

I am sure by May things will have changed once again! Ask at the gate and check the sightings board for the latest variations on this lovely theme, and enjoy!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:16 am 

hello tex

good luck and god bless you :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:17 am 

hello tex

good luck and god bless you :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm 

I will be in Addo on Thursday for 3 days!! It will be my first visit to the park? Does it work the same as Kruger, wild viewing wise? Is all the camps connected via road? and what are the gate times? Will follow all the leads of places to go and see..

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
It works pretty much the same as Kruger. There are tar and dirt roads, there are look out points where you can get out of the vehicle, there is a hide and a sightings board in front of reception.
There is a well stocked shop and a restaurant that sells wicked cheesecake & coffee plus main meals etc.

Have fun!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Oh yes, I forgot. There is a waterhole, with a viewing deck and a 'hide' along side the main rest camp, where black rhino often come to drink after dark.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 am 

Just back from Addo.Gorah Loop is were all the action is.Did not have much luck on the other roads.

Tiko

Post subject: Addo-only 1 day
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:35 pm 

Hi

If you can only spend one day in Addo, what will be your must see spots....can only go for a day :? :? :?

Will arrive from the south ,at say 2 ,and sleep at main camp and will exit the next day at say 2 again.

Post subject: Re: Addo-only 1 day
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:33 pm 

Hi Bud,

all depends what you want to see.

Obviously coming to Addo implies elephants! Hapoor Dam is always a sure hit....as is the road from there to Gwharrie Dam.

Eland, Ive found are usually on the Gorah loop (after You pass clockwise behind Domkrag dam n a big circle) - as well on the left, at rthe foot of Zuurkop, on the grass sapce, on Ur right.

Lions, Ive found are from Marion Baree and into the southern section - Sunny days though, they tend to lie up under trees, and in long grass. Buffalos are a bit of a lottery....more or less where you will find lions, however, Ive also seen them in and around Mbabala loop.

If its sunny, and you keep a watchful eye out, go around Mpunzi lkoop(close to Hapoor)...near the dam, there are meerkats, grey herons and sometimes spoonbills in the dam itself. Ive also seen 2 rock monitors from that road. Elephants can also be found midday at Spekboom, as can be Kudu. Kudu, also in and around Domkrag towards late afternoon.

Ive seen a lot of Zebra, Buffalo, Hartebees,duiker, bushbuck,elephant and eland in the southern section 2, on the open plains, and around the small water pans.

Snakes are abundant....Ive seen cape cobra, and puff adder on the odd occasion - but that was luck of the draw.

My rule of thumb - if you drive and kick up any dust, Ur driving too fast. Get in early, and leave the game area as late as possible - Book a night drive...aardvark, aardwolf, bat eared fox, genet etc may also be seen.....as well as porcupine. Also, if time permits, spend at least an hour or two at he hide in the main park, from say 9 til 11pm.....U might be surprised. Ive seen hyena, elephant etc come down for a drink.

In the interests of conservation, Id love to tell you where I have seen rhino, but unfortunately I cannot. Enjoy every moment, the park is awesome, the staff are brilliant, and the park is spotless.

:clap: :clap: :clap: