Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo Versus Kruger - Are the very similar?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:30 pm 

Hello,
We will be visiting the Kruger from the 25th -30th September.
then on the 01st travelling to Port Elizabeth to tour the Cape.

We would like to visit Addo, not sure for how long and also if we should, as we have just spent 5 nights in the Kruger game park then going to Addo - or could we give Addo a miss?
Obviously Addo is unique in itself.
The plan after Addo is to travel the garden route towards Cape Town.
IWe want to spend time in Knysna and Tsitsikama, bypass CapeTown and go up the west coast towards Namaqualand, then go to Cape Town.
We have 13 days from Port Elazabeth to Capetown. We will be in a rented car that we will rent from PE Airport.

Post subject: Re: Addo Versus Kruger - Are the very similar?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome Ronley You are having a great holiday .
Addo is different with actually happy Ellies but you can see mostly the same game as KNP
Do visit Storms river mouth and stay at the chalets there .. I love the forests huts but not every bodies choice as they are very basic. But other accommodation has good sea views . at least two days so you can get some nice walks in. the one to the suspensions bridge and there are many others .. no too strenuous.
Then just before Knysna opposite the Garden of Eden is a Sanparks wooden chalet .. this is up market stand alone in the forest and has all the mods and cons .. really posh and so relaxing . Don't forget the Wilderness ebb and flo camp site with wooden chalets and more basic rondavels All en suite .. beautiful suuroundings with walks and bird hides . then travel through Swellendam and stay at the Bontebok national park You will see some bokkies that you wont see elsewhere and the chalets have super views of the river and in September the flowers are all out .To avoid Cape Town travel through ceres and up towards Piketberg R44 across to Veld drift Saldahna and then onto Langabaan and into the West Coast National park . Try to book the Abrahamskraal cottage .. just too beautiful and if you are there early September the Postberg section is open and the flowers Magnificent and then travel to Cape Town .. Oh I wish I was going
And don't forget to buy a wild card as it can be used in the Cape too with Cape Nature and of course all the national parks

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:58 pm 

Hi Ronley, a very warm welcome to the forum.

The beauty of the parks managed by SANPArks is that they are all different, covering the range of biodiversity that South Africa has to offer.

That being said Addo is about the closest to Kruger of all the parks. But it isn't Kruger. For a start, part of it is by the sea and covers an extensive dune system. You can even go horseback riding.

I think a couple of days could be justified in Addo.

And don't forget the smaller Bontebok and Agulhas parks that are accessible from the Garden Route. And while going around Cape Town, you also have the West Coast NP. All unique and conserving special areas and species. Don't forget you Wild Card which will cover your Conservation Fees (and give you access to some Cape Nature parks too).

Hope you have a great trip.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome Ronley. :gflower:

I must say that Addo is very different to Kruger. If you would like to experience a completely diffident sense of the wild, I would give it a chance.

You certainly have an interesting itinerary. Addo is about a completely different eco zone. I find it gentler, but it is still the wild. Lots of Jackal, ellies and warthog.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:00 pm 

Many thanks for your answers and recommendations.

Addo Park Here we come!!!

I am so excited about this trip and especially about the Cape and western coast.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello Ronley and Welcome!

You are planning an excellent trip but WHY I ask would you want to miss spending a day or two in and around Cape Town, IMO one of the most beautiful cities on earth and actually set IN (or surrounded by) a national park. Table Mountain National Park is actually part of the city, with neighborhoods rising up its slopes to the east, north and west. There is Kirstenbosch National Botantical Garden, the Atlantic beaches, and the summit of the mountain with its spectacular views in all directions. The City Bowl features the historic Company Gardens and there is the harbour for large and small vessels. A vibrant and vital city that I love dearly and miss always when I am not there.

Please do yourself a favour and include Cape Town in your itinerary. I am sure that you will NOT be disappointed.