View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo Park Experiences
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

poklad wrote:
Hi!

We will be in the Addo during one day at the beginning of April on 4x2 SUV. Can you recomend scenic route to see animals?

Yury

Hi Yury, :D
Welcome and I hope you have a great visit to Addo and I am sure that you will have fantastic sightings.
The roads in the Main Camp and Southern Section of Addo are very good and one can use the smallest sedan car with ease.
There is a daily sightings board at the entrance to the shop at the Main Gate that indicates where the animals can be seen. A sightings board is in the process of being put up at the Matyholweni Gate in the Southern Section. It is always a good idea to have a look at these boards to see where the animals are as they do move around in the Park.
The newly opened Southern Section has been giving good daily sightings of the following:-
Buffalo
Eland
Red Hartebeest
Kudu
Zebra
Ostrich
Lion have also been seen regularly
Any of the waterholes in Addo are always a good place to find the elephants on a hot day where you will be able to watch them at close quarters as they are drinking and cooling themselves off with mud baths.
I am sure your visit to Addo Park will be a memorable one and an experience of a lifetime :dance: :clap:

For "Addo Park Experiences" go to:- HERE

Last edited by RonnieL on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Addo Lions

I spent the day out at Addo yesterday and what a great day I had. I departed early from home and was the first in at the Matyholweni Gate at 7 am. when it opened. It was a cool day with a light drizzle in the morning.
While I was driving along slowly on the Mbotyl loop I stopped to take a closer look at something that I saw in the grass and could not make out what it was. As I stopped my car the male lion lifted his head. I am sure if I had not stopped he would not have lifted his head and I would not of seen him. I stayed there for some time watching him as he rolled from one side to the other and even lying on his back when it drizzled a bit harder for a short while. It seemed as if he enjoyed his early morning "shower" He eventually got up and moved off. What a great sighting and here are a few of the pics I took.

Not clear in my pics because of the weather conditions one can see the Indian Ocean in the distance and the beginning of the large sand dune formation starting at the Sundays River mouth. Is it not great that one can capture a photo of a lion where they once roamed freely and have now been successfully reintroduced with the Indian Ocean in the background. This gives me goosebumps. Congratulations to ALL involved.

Last edited by RonnieL on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: What a sighting on a rainy day - thanks for sharing, Ronnie 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, RonnieL thanks for sharing with us whenever you go to Addo. I so enjoy your posts and pics. Now counting the days when we will get there (Sun 13th March) for 3 days and then for 2 days on 23/24th March on our way home. Definitely not long enough but will have to do for now.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ronnie, I don't know how I missed this thread :slap: , just read it all and must say wow! :clap: :clap: Thanks so much for sharing these experiences with us. :lol: :thumbs_up:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

How wonderful for you, Ronnie!!! :dance:

Thanks for that beaut. :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Ronnie!

We'll be visiting Addo in March - and this thread of yours is serving as a wonderful appetizer! Thanks for sharing all your experiences and photos with us! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi to Toko, DeleneD, Katja, LS, Bushbuddies and all the other people who have read and taken an interest in Addo Experiences.

Thank you for all your comments and I am pleased that you are enjoying and finding the info usefull
:thumbs_up: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elephants at Hapoor Dam

After having the good sightings of the Lion I made my way to Hapoor Dam.
On my arrival I found about 70 ellies at the dam. It was a cool day so there was only one ellie having a mud bath. Some were drinking while the majority were standing around. This was an ideal opportunity to observe their behavior and interaction with one another. There were some small huddles of female ellies protecting their young while the young males were "wrestling" with each other. There was also this young ellie that still had some Soccer World Cup 2010 fever left in him as he was running and kicking and flicking the dried ellie dung with his trunk. Here are some pics and I will be posting more.

Large herd of Ellies at Hapoor Dam

Ellies at waterhole

A group of females with young

Two young ellie males

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lovely ellie pics Ronnie :clap: :clap: It must have been great to watch them, especially the soccer ellie :lol:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 pm 

As per the suggestion from Jungle Junkie (thank you very much!), I am re-posting this in the hope of a comment from someone in the know.

We were very shocked today in Matyholweni. We came across 5 silver backed jackals and realised very quickly that there was war! Three of them attacked the other pair and the female of this pair ran off some distance and then screamed continuously. The 3 literally slaughtered the other little male (he was very close to death when we left). One held him by the throat and the other two were ripping at his hind legs and shaking him constantly. Twice he managed to escape and twice they grabbed him again. We were shocked at how viciously they continued to attack him. Every time the poor female got closer, one of the three would rush off to chase her. I know it's nature, but it wasn't pleasant to watch. It must have taken at least twenty to twenty five minutes for him to lie still, JUST breathing and all of them were covered in blood. I would like to know if this was a territory thing, or is there some other reason why this would occur with jackals? Any ideas?

I do have video footage of it, but taken with a digital camera, so there are plenty of shakes in between. And no, I hadn't had too many amstels!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi, Welcome and thanks for sharing you experience here.

The animals you are referring to here as "silver backed jackals" are also know as the Cape Fox (Vulpes chama).
The behavior you described here does appear to be some sort of "territory or dominance battle" but very rarely as vicious as you witnessed.
A book by Richard Estes called "The behavior guide to African Mammals" is a very good book and on page 390 he describes fighting. If you do not have access to the book you can Google cape fox behavior.
I hope that this will answer you questions. If there is anyone that would like to comment on this please do so.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 pm 

Hi Ronnie L
Thank you so much for your reply. I guessed it must have been territorial. I tell you, there was no ways they were going to let him live. I will now google the Cape Fox thanks to your info. Much appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elephants at Hapoor Dam

Here are some more pics of the ellies at Hapoor Dam. There was this small group of ellies that were standing to one side in a very tight group protecting a very small baby ellie. I have circled the baby ellie to make it easier for identification. You will notice that all the ellies looking after and protecting this baby ellie are females. When this group decided to leave they headed straight in the direction where I was parked and passed right by me. How fortunate I was to take these pics and a very short video.

Here are the pics I took

Here is the short video of the ellies passing by my car.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: The closest video I have ever seen!!! What an amzing thing to happen and the ellies were not disturbed it seems?

Thanks for posting :clap:

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 65  Next