Skip to Content

Addo Elephant Trail Run/ Knysna Oyster festival/ running for conservation

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra

Moderator: lion queen

julia9726

Addo Elephant Trail Run/ Knysna Oyster festival/ running for conservation

Unread postby julia9726 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:08 am

I recently came upon this while I was booking an accommodation near Addo, http://www.trailadventures.co.za/addo/ Apparently San Parks offered a Addo Elephant Trail Run ( I am not sure if this was for fun or to raise money)

but this got me thinking, I know of the Knysna Oyster festival which takes place in July organizes a huge amount of marathons, triathlons, cycling events some to raise money for causes like breast cancer, and for kids, I was wondering if somehow san parks can partner with the Knysna Oyster festival to dedicate a run to the big 5, all these runs aim at raising money for a cause, but there is no running event I saw that aims to raise money for conservation. Personally I would absolutely love to participate in a marathon or biking or wtv sports event that honours and aims to raise money for south african wildlife and all proceeds go towards san parks?

We are a couple in Canada and were gonna be in Knysna for a week for the Oyster festival and this is our first time visiting south africa, but I thought I would post this on the forum in case maybe a group of people who live in Knysna or nearby were interested in communicating with the festival and making a run aimed at raising money for conservation, I think its fairly simple to set up you just have to email the organizers tell them where and when and the route and then they put up tickets people can buy and register, or if San Parks is willing to repeat the Addo Elephant Trail Run or make an event during those 10 days for a walk or run that aimes to raise money for conservation we would really love that.... just an idea... dunno if its feasible but for all us animal lovers I think it would be so cool.... this event brings so many people together, and there's so many runs dedicated to causes I thought there should be one dedicated for wildlife somewhere there
Lower Sabie Rest Camp: June 7th
Marloth Park: June 8/9/10
Lower Sabie: June 11th

saraf

Re: Addo Elephant Trail Run/ Knysna Oyster festival/ running for conservation

Unread postby saraf » Sun May 24, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks for the post Julia.

I don't know of anything specific in Knysna but I know that the SANParks Honorary Rangers do organise running events (e.g. this one held in April) in some national parks with the aim of raising money for their conservation activities in support of SANParks.

Their events will be advertised on their board on here - SANParks Honorary Ranger Activities and also on their own website South African National Parks Honorary Rangers

And for the future, should you wish to return to South Africa, there is a half marathon held in Kruger National Park on the first weekend in August. Have a look here for more information about this year's event.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

julia9726

Unread postby julia9726 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:06 am

saraf wrote:Thanks for the post Julia.

I don't know of anything specific in Knysna but I know that the SANParks Honorary Rangers do organise running events (e.g. this one held in April) in some national parks with the aim of raising money for their conservation activities in support of SANParks.

Their events will be advertised on their board on here - SANParks Honorary Ranger Activities and also on their own website South African National Parks Honorary Rangers

And for the future, should you wish to return to South Africa, there is a half marathon held in Kruger National Park on the first weekend in August. Have a look here for more information about this year's event.

thanks so much this is really helpful! will keep an eye out for any events in June/July happening, I saw there was a gala in cape town to raise money for rhinos but won't be in cape down then unfortunately, but hopefully there will be an event we can attend
Lower Sabie Rest Camp: June 7th
Marloth Park: June 8/9/10
Lower Sabie: June 11th

FrontierPR
Guru
Guru

Unread postby FrontierPR » Mon May 25, 2015 9:43 am

The Addo Elephant Trail Run is not organized by SANParks - we merely provide the venue for the race. It is run by a group from Port Elizabeth named Free Spirit Adventures, and they give back to the park by means of sponsoring a group of local runners, as well as liaising every year with the park on which corporate social initiative we're involved with at that stage, to donate to.

I think your idea for raising funds for conservation is marvelous - which, as said previously, is the work very kindly done by our Honorary Rangers.

Fayroush Ludick
Regional Communications

Return to “Frontier Parks”