Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Addo: Restaurant
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 pm 

Hi all,

I've not been to Addo for far too long but now want to organise a management day trip (from Grahamstown).

Please would someone remind me of how to book lunch for 8-10 people at the restaurant in the main camp with name & phone number or e-mail contact details and let me have some idea of the menu and related costs?

Thanks a lot,

Post subject: Re: Restaurant at Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Happy Snapper :) there are some contact numbers here At the bottom on the left..Maybe some one can help you there

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi HappySnapper,
You can telephone the restuarant on 042 2338674 or email addo@tourrest.co.za
They can email or fax you the a-la-carte menu, as they do change it every now and then.
The lapa in the main camp has just been renovated and is a good venue for large groups for meals or functions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:39 am 

Hi Dotty and Megan;

Thanks for your replies -- they are helpful.

One more query: I note that the entry fees to Addo may be subject to change from 01 November. Any idea what they'll be (on 05 November, when we wish to visit?

Kind regards,

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:02 am 
Guru
Guru

Conservation fees for Addo Elephant National Park from 1 November 2010 - 31 October 2011:
South African Citizens and Residents (with ID) - R35,00 per person, per day
SADC Nationals (with passport) - R70,00 per adult / R35,00 per child, per day
Standard Conservation Fee - R140,00 per adult / R70,00 per child, per day
Wild Card holders do not pay conservation fees.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Megan,
Do people qualify for the "Standard Conservation Fee" if they are "South African Citizens and Residents (with ID)" ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:18 am 

Getting back to the subject of Addo restaurant. After complaining a couple of weeks ago because the food was terrible and the service very slow (very few customers at the time) we once again tried the restaurant. The service was slow and some of the other customers were complaing for lack of service.
We have seen a steady decline in the standard of this restaurant over this last year, having recently spent four day at MZP and eating at their restaurant the NZP standard is far superior in service as well as the quality of the food. A total overhaul needs to take place and quickly bring this back to a high standard. Other than that the park is one of my favourite places to go, which I have been doing since 1972 and I think the Parks Board are doing a great job with Addo.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 am 
Guru
Guru

koedoe wrote:
Hi Megan,
Do people qualify for the "Standard Conservation Fee" if they are "South African Citizens and Residents (with ID)" ?

SA residents pay R35 per person per day at present. The standard conservation fee (R140 pppd) is for international visitors.

jonjon wrote:
Getting back to the subject of Addo restaurant. After complaining a couple of weeks ago because the food was terrible and the service very slow (very few customers at the time) we once again tried the restaurant. The service was slow and some of the other customers were complaing for lack of service.

Thank for bringing this to our attention jonjon. I'll communicate your comments to the restaurant manager for feedback.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 am 
Guru
Guru

Jonjon,
Your concerns were sent through to the Resturant Manager and here is his feedback:

We’ve taken the customer’s feedback to heart, and are including it into our ongoing training sessions with the staff. We did have a period where we were finding a replacement for one of our front of house manager’s, but that issue has been resolved with the addition of a new manager. You can assure the client that service delivery and quality of the meals are of a foremost priority.

Kind Regards
Wayne Range
General Manager, Addo Restuarant & Lapa

I trust this addresses your concerns. If you would like to contact Wayne directly, you could email him on wayne@tourrest.co.za or Tel 042 2338674.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

When I was last there, the cheescake & coffee was quite sumptuous, and I had them more than once. :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:42 pm 

Thanks Megan, I visit Addo as often as possible, and normally have lunch there, but the last few occasions it was not up to standard but I must stress that NOT all the food is bad unfortunately as you know one (in my case two) bad meal gives the rest a bad name. Their venison stew in the small African pot is the best.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45 pm 

Yesterday I went to Addo Park for the day and once again enjoyed every minute there, I consider Addo Park one of the best in the country even better than Kruger Park (outcry from KNP groupies) I had lunch and the service has improved and was served by a smiling and friendly waitron. I noticed that someone was available at all times so we did not have to wait for attention. As for the food I ordered a venison burger with chips. The chips were fresh and looked like chips instead of the old yellow looking left overs, the burger itself was OK but the whole was presented well so I am happy with what Wayne has accheived in a short time. But here comes a moan my wife ordered an African hot pot, the first piece of meat she took out of the pot went straight to the side of the pot quickly followed by another piece the third bit she then told me that "the meat is all gristle" I then tried it myself and she was right. Unfortunately she sent it back and had a burger instead so the quality of the meat should be a bit better otherwise well done to Wayne. We will be back

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:15 pm 

Hi all,

I was in Addo this past weekend and visited the restaurant twice. I agree, the service levels were very good, we were greeted with a friendly smile and there was always someone there to help if needed :clap:

My only gripe has to do with the menu. There are no toasted sandwiches sold at the restaurant. We were looking for a quick meal for lunch on Saturday, but ended up leaving only having a cooldrink as the next best thing on the menu was a burger (we didnt want such a "large" meal as we were planning a big celebration supper). Are these available from somewher else, or not? Surely the restaurant should supply that.

We had breakfast there the next morning, and it was delicious. My fiance (we got engaged on Saturday - hence the celebration supper) had the flapjack stacker with cheddar, bacon and syrup, it was out of this world.

So, all in all our visit to the Restaurant was great, just with the above request for future - we will definately be back. Oh and by the way, when I finally have a bit less of a stressful workload, I will attempt a report on the weekend.

Kind regards,

Pat

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:15 am 
Guru
Guru

Thanks Pat, I'll pass the toasted sarmie comment on to the reastuarant management.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

(Also posted in "Compliments and complaints" with a complaint above another place)

Now to more happy memories....

At this time, we did not know that the two restaurants were run by the same company; if we had known we would probably have avoided the Addo restaurant like the pest.
When we arrived at Addo in the early afternoon we were hungry and being the last days of our holiday we did not plan to braai and had only shopped for making breakfast.

A lovely young smiling girl arrived with the card....oh sh.. exactly the same kind of card like at SRM on which it is impossible to read what the dishes contain if not with magnifying glass and in bright light (mentioning this at SRM, I got a blank stare). OK you could read the name of the dish so we dared...My husband had calamari rings and french fried and I had a greek salad. Surprise, surprise both were delicious. I tried the calamari rings and they were golden fried, crisp outside and soft inside and the potatoes were freshly fried. My salad was fresh and the feta cheese was....feta cheese Happily we went on a drive to meet the elephants.

The next evening, the last, we returned to the restaurant. Outside there were three long tables with some fifty youngsters and thus rather noisy and busy, so we sat inside in a rather sombre atmosphere. While waiting to be served I watched a bustling, good looking man (his looks has absolutely nothing to do with the story, but it is always pleasant to have something nice to look at :wink: ) who worked for four, but in a relaxed and very efficient way.

We ordered a filet of beef for my husband and I had spare ribs. The filet was not what a filet, in our opinion should be like. It was large and thin and covered in a sauce so we sent it back. Immediately arrived the busy young man, presenting himself as Wayne Range, the manager and asked what was wrong. We had a rather pleasant exchange of opinions on what a filet should be like and he promised to talk to the butcher about not butterfly cut it and serve the sauce aside. I complimented him on the spare ribs which were excellent, mentioned the menu card and was assured that the new “readable” ones were ready in his office to be distributed the next day. I was also informed that the interior would be refurbished in order to make it brighter, more pleasant and inviting. The training of the staff is going ahead, but will still take some time. Wayne has only been there for three months, but from what I could see and from what Megan told me, he is doing a great job and I am sure that if the company he works for will let him have his ways, the Addo restaurant will become renown.. The cherry on the top.....Eating spare ribs you must use your fingers and a fingerbowl with lukewarm water and a slice of lemon was placed on the table...I almost did not believe my eyes. By the way, the filet was not on the bill.

This was a short story made long, but it shows how the right person at the rudder makes a huge difference and can turn a failure into a success.

To Wayne Range :thumbs_up: