Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Elephants in Matyholweni
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:53 am 

Getting back to the potential wildlife crossings, here is an interesting experience in Canada:

"The Trans-Canada Highway, passing through Banff National Park, has been problematic, posing hazards for wildlife due to vehicle traffic and as an impediment to wildlife migration. Grizzly bears are among the species impacted by the highway, which together with other developments in Banff, has caused fragmentation of the landscape. Grizzly bears prefer the montane habitat, which has been most impacted by development. Wildlife crossings, including a series of underpasses, and two wildlife overpasses, have been constructed at a number of points along the Trans-Canada Highway to help alleviate this problem."
Resources:
http://www.cpaws-southernalberta.org/ca ... canada.php
http://www.cpaws-southernalberta.org/ca ... he-gap.php

I wonder whether SANPARKS has done any formal studies on that (i.e. engineering and site alternatives, costings) ? Was it included in the GEF / AFD-financed project for the GAENP?

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
we have... :hmz: one near by me... an overpass through the highway like you mentionned, and some underpass for frogs etc... also along "normal" roads
We took the migrants way... so we must do something :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:34 pm 

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Nobody denies this, but you seem to have a problem with lions in Karoo at present, as seen by your other posts in these threads -- sorry about that!
Thanks for your love for the Karoo -- maybe we wil meet in Addo or Karoo before long. I would enjoy a chat with you. Have you been to Die Hel?

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Doe Hel is on my list. I am trying to go camping every month for a week. I have just spent time at the Zebra Park last week. My love of the Karoo is well known and my objections to lions in the Karoo is based on my observations and by speaking with some of the game rangers. Half of the Karoo Park is unavailable to the average visitor who has not a four wheel drive vehicle. Yes we will have more visitors since the introduction of lions, I still think Addo Park was correct in introducing lions but not the Karoo untill there is more game available for them and us. We are now off the topic of Elephants in Matyholweni lets get back to it

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7