Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ellies crossed the road..!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great informative pics - thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the vegetation, I've no doubt the balance of harms has been weighed up by the necessary authorities

Post subject: Re: ELEPHANTS IN MATYHOLWENI
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:37 pm 

My Trip to Addo and my first picture post

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm 

I was wondering whether there were any plans to drop fences with neighbouring private reserves (Shamwari for instance)?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:59 pm 
Guru
Guru

Joel wrote:
But I am a bit worried about the fate of the vegetation with elephants coming in, especially succulent species (aloes).

Besides, your pictures show that some areas look degraded and might require active revegetation (spekboom?).

Elephants will deifintely have an impact on vegetation. They will target species like aloes and tree euphorbias (and also the prickly pears which are alien plants). They will also open up pathways through the thick bush areas which will in turn open up previously inaccessible areas of bush for other herbivores to utilise.

We are in the process of fencing off two areas as botanical reserves. This will allow us to monitor the effects of elephant and other herbivore impact on the vegetation in the Colchester area.

Joel wrote:
I was wondering whether there were any plans to drop fences with neighbouring private reserves (Shamwari for instance)?

That is always a possibility that SANParks' considers as a way to increase the land under conservation without having to find the funds to buy up land. However, there is quite a bit of farmland (and some residential properties) between Addo and Shamwari, meaning it is not very likely that they will be joined at present. We would also need to ensure that any land which becomes part of the national park would need to subscribe to SANParks' conservation policies, for example, only stocking species which would have historically occurred in the area.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Megan

Thanks for the update on Matyholweni. I am looking forward to a visit in November, and hope to see an elephant or two on that side of the fence!
I somehow fear that our `golden era' of elephant viewing at Hapoor is something of the past for now -- the big herds will most likely disappear in that thick spekbos in the new section of the park....
Earlier in this thread there was a pic of a waterhole 2km from the fence in the new section. Any other waterholes that we need to know about in the maze of new roads (ie, is there a new map that indicates waterholes in Matyholweni section)?

Thanks and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:28 pm 

Was also in the area yesterday and enjoyed the thicker vegetation of the new section. I also noticed a work crew working on the fields with sprays - there seemed to be a large number of Castor Oil plants (not sure if I have the correct species) growing in the field. Also a magnificent clump of tall euphorbias and there seems to be a fence going around them to protect them. Was also nice seeing St Croix from the new area.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:54 pm 
Guru
Guru

We are working on a new map of the area which will be handed out to each visitor car (as is the usual practice) and also put up on the web.

Working for Water teams are mainly targeting scottish thistle, jointed cactus and Solanum species (satansbos) in th Colchester area.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:07 pm 

Scenes like this can disappear for many years...

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:23 pm 

Thanks for this Megan.

I can't wait to see this map online (with botanical reserves identified if possible). So much has changed since I left South Africa in 2003... (I live far away in Paris, France; but I have spent 5 years in PE & Grahamstown: the best years in my life).

Another question: you have a very good map made from a googlemap picture in your AENP map section. It shows scars (tracks or roads?) of past farming activities in the colchester area, especially west of the Matyholweni rest camp and just north of the Addo heights road.

What is Sanparks policy with respect to managing these areas (passive or active restoration of teh unused tracks)?

I've come across a very interesting website about thicket restoration (involving CO2 sequestration), of which I'm sure you're aware: http://www.r3g.co.za/index.php?p=corepr ... r=spekboom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again for the (always) precise and timely replies! :clap: :clap:

Joël

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:54 pm 

:imsmilin: :?: Has anyone seen an Ellie / Ellies in the "Southern" Matyholweni side of the Addo park yet, since the fence has been removed. :huh: Please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Game at Matyholweni/Southern section
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:01 pm 

Awhile ago, i headed this post, Game at Matyholweni. i live in the Eastern Cape and am extremely excited that the Game that have been confined to the northern section of the Addo Park can now move freely into the Southern section and enjoy even more freedom and discover new grasslands.
So much preparation has been put into developing this area for which i :clap: my hands to Sanparks. I know that my next trip to Addo will be even better than all my previous trips as we explore new territory.
I read a lot of the posts on the other parks on the forums for which i am gratefull, it would be great if those authors came to our Beautiful Addo park " with their cameras" and shared their experiences with us.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:43 pm 

Have any Ellies been sighted in the New southern section of Addo Park :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:08 pm 

I live in Cannonville (Colchester) and go to the municipal tip regularly. The guys working there have told me they have seen Zebra and Hartebeest along the fence, which is over the hill from the entrance to Mathyolweni, opposite the informal settlement, which is utterly awesome! Wildlife on my doorstep. The only thing that angered me was when they told me that the children in the informal settlement are teasing the animals and throwing stones at them. Perhaps we need some education in this regard, Sanparks? I thought maybe a community day where we can teach the kids more about the wildlife and instil the same appreciation in them. The guys say they have also heard the lions, but I explained that they could be miles away.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 pm 

:yaya: Can anyone put their hand up to say they have seen Ellies in the new Southern section of the Addo Park

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:23 pm 

We were there today and there are LOTS of elephants in Matyholweni. They have been having great fun with the prickly pears!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next