Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Addo: Camping
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can anybody tell me more about the camping spots in ADDO? How long in advance should you book?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:27 pm 
Guru
Guru

December, January and Easter are our busiest times in the campsite, but it is always popular, so book in davance to avoid disappointment.
Winter here is usually very pleasant and sunny during the day with cold spells at night and in the early morning.

Megan Bradfield
Addo Elephant National Park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:30 pm 

Hi GP - The camping sites at Addo are very nice and have recently been upgraded. They are level, a good size, most are shady and all have a fine gravel surface. The sites are separated from each other by hedges. The sites with a view along the fence do not have electricity. There is the usual SA Parks kitchen/scullery area and the ablutions are fine. Only minor downfall is the noise the passing trains make as a railway line passes near to the camp.

Whenever we have been there, even out of season, the camp sites have been full.

Being an elephant fan - you'll love Addo!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to you guys we are seriously considering visiting Addo soon. Now it's deciding between camping or going the safari tent way. I was pleasantly surprised at the latter's tariffs. Coming from the Vaal Triangle, that might be the way to go. You won't believe me but I've never been in the Eastern Cape.
This place just seems to be the place to go for a first go! :D

Post subject: Addo: Narina Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 pm 
There will be 7 of us visiting - 4 adults, 3 children ages 12, 10 & 8. The guest houses sound great - could we all squeeze into one or is 6 the maximum?
We'll be driving a hired VW microbus. Is that Ok for reaching most parts of the park? I see some areas are stated to be only suitable for 4x4 but what about the rest?
When it says Narina can be reached by car I assume that means you have to leave the car and walk the final 4-500 m?

Thanks for your reply. What a useful forum this is.

David Pearson
Amersham, UK.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:10 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear David,
We can make provision for an extra child in the guest house by providing an extra mattress and bedding. Just be sure to request this when making your booking.

The VW microbus is perfect for travelling in the main game area where you will see most of the animals. You won't be able to visit the Kabouga section (where the 4x4 trail is, Mvubu camp site and Kabouga House) as this is for high clearance vehicles only. You will be able to visit the coastal area and Zuurberg mountain area with the vehicle if you have time to do day trips. There is some walking involved to get to the sea. The Zuurberg mountain area is a wilderness area so you can drive to the office (about 15 km from main camp) and then walk or go on a horse trail from there.

Yes, you need to walk the final 500m over a stream (wooden bridge provided!) and through the forest to the bush camp from the parking area for your vehicle to get to Narina Bush Camp.

Post subject: Booking of camping sites
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We had an incident last Sunday.
We arrived at Addo and booked in. Went to go and look for a shaded camping spot (the temp. was 40 :!:) We rode around and found a beautiful shaded spot, but there were two cars parked under this huge tree and one of the cars even had a shade cloth over it. We asked who the cars (4x4) belonged to and was told that they were camping across the road on a camping spot with two caravans facing each other. Hubby then went to them and asked if we could have that spot. They were not happy, told us that they booked and paid for two spots. Hubby then spoke nicely to them and said that why must we the Granpa and Granny take the spot that is in the full sun and the cars remained under the shade! We then went to the office and asked if they could come and help sort the problem out. They then spoke to the two gentlemen and they agreed to move one car so that we could put our tent up.
To make a long story short- Everybody around us applaud us and said that everybody asked about the spot was bluntly turned down.
Our opinion is that if you booked two camping spots you must then use them for caravans/tents and not for parking your cars on them.
The puzzeling question is why does the park allow this :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well Done, Oumie :!: 8)
I think many of us are too scared to open our mouths and complain?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:51 pm 

I really hope that this was the only bad bit about your trip Oumie! I daresay that if one pays for two sites you can park what you wish on them (obviously within the regulations of caravans, tents and so on). There is no extra parking place in the camping area at Addo either. I just think that it is really mean spirited to hog a really nice shady and popular site just to keep your vehicles on them particularly when the camp is full and there is not much choice as far as camp sites go. If there were plenty of sites to go around it would be a different story I suppose.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes that was the only bad part of the trip. Addo was such a lovely place. We are planning to go back the next year.
Found the staff very friendly and helpfull.

On the booking of sites.
I think if everybody books two camping sites and park cars on one it will start a bad habid :x Parks will then have a toffee apple to sort out in the long run :? and not to mention the bun fights :!:

Post subject: New Campsite at Addo???
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Has anyone heard whether they are thinking of making a campsite at the new Addo Mathyolwent Rest Camp?

I am sure it would be popular. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:23 am 
Guru
Guru

There are no plans to make a campsite at Matyholweni as yet, just as there are no plans to build a restaurant or shop inside the park here.

This decision was taken to ensure that the surrounding community will benefit from the tourim business that is created by the extension of the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That is a pity as the current campsite is very crowded, and sleeping in a campsite outside the park has very little appeal.

I agree that a shop and a restaurant are unnecessary.

A campsite in the Zuurberg would be really good as well.

Post subject: Narina Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:43 pm 

We are booked at Narina bush camp the end of Nov. It is our first time at this park. We tried to get bookings in Addo but were not able to for time we needed. It is a 40 min. drive to Addo's main camp area from Narina. We are interested in taking in a few guided game drives. The problem we have is the gates at the bush camp close promptly at 19:00 in the evening. Which would make a sundowner or night drive out of the question since we would be locked out of camp?? Would it be advisable to book something in Addo for one night (just so happens there is still an opening for a couple of safari tents on our last night there) or is there a way we can still book night drives and still get back into our Narina camp? Like I said this is our first time at this park and any imput would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Thanks, Gwyneth

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would have one night in the Park itself, if you can. I think you would enjoy the waterhole at the main camp at night.

I hope you do a night drive. They are always special, even if you only see springhares.

I have never been to Narina bush camp though, so please let me know what it is like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next