Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Driving to MZNP
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:44 am 

Do you think it's feasible to drive from the airport in Johannesburg to Mountain Zebra in one day? It would greatly simplify things if we could get lots of our holiday driving done on the first day. We plan to be in Addo for a few days after that, and Mountain Zebra seems like it would be a nice place to stopover on the long drive from Joburg.

is it too long? Feasible? What do you think?

Post subject: Re: driving from Joburg to Mountain Zebra in one day?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:10 am 

Hi Skill - and a very warm welcome to you.

The distance you propose to cover is about 860km. Before deciding if it is feasible to do in a day, you need to take into account what time you will leave the airport as the gates of the Park close late afternoon.

I do agree it is a nice place to stop over. You will need to allow at least 9-10 hours of driving without too long stops for refreshments. However, if you will be driving thro Jhb during peak traffic times, it could take a lot longer. The road you will use is in excellent condition and an easy drive, once out of Jhb. You must also allow for the toll fees.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Personally I would take it much slower and stop along the way and enjoy the rest of SA So many folk rush between places and miss out on an awfull lot..and maybe just maybe your plane might be running late, a traffic jam as DB points out... Rather pop in the second day and drive through its not a big park . and then move on to ADDO. Just my thoughts

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:29 am 

Hugh wrote:
Personally I would take it much slower and stop along the way and enjoy the rest of SA So many folk rush between places and miss out on an awfull lot..and maybe just maybe your plane might be running late, a traffic jam as DB points out... Rather pop in the second day and drive through its not a big park . and then move on to ADDO. Just my thoughts

I agree with Hugh and I have driven the whole way through from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth in one stretch. I have also broken the trip and the latter is INFINITELY easier on everyone concerned.

As a matter of interest have the Addo and the Mountain Zebra merged yet? How is this merger going if it is still pending?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 am 

Another option would be to fly to Port Elizabeth and then drive up to Mountain Zebra. That would be feasible.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:47 am 

Moira de Swardt wrote:
As a matter of interest have the Addo and the Mountain Zebra merged yet? How is this merger going if it is still pending?

Moira I do not recall this ever being on the cards. There is however a long term plan to 'merge' MZNP with Camdeboo. This would include co-operation with other private reserves between the two. They are about 100km apart.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 pm 

Thanks everyone for your warm and helpful responses!

i agree that flying to PE would be easier, but there are five of us, so it's a bit expensive for us to do that. Also, while it would certainly be nicer to take an extra day, we have our Addo accommodation booked, and we can't really change that as we are travelling during the world cup, when everything within reach of a soccer stadium seems to be booked out already.

Our flight gets in at dawn or so on a Sunday, so realistically I expect we could be leaving with our hired car by 9am. I'm hoping Sunday traffic isn't too bad. Still, 9 or 10 hours of driving would bring us to 6pm or 7pm, which sounds like it might be too late.

Perhaps the idea of staying a bit north of the park, and driving through on the way to Addo is the best. Hopefully there are a few little places to stay not too far away

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:11 pm 

I do think that will make your trip more relaxing. Even tho not seeing MZNP is :(

There is a huge metropolis call Bloemfontein about half way between Jhb and PE ... :whistle: As there is no SANPark there, if mites do have good suggestions, they will PM you.

Alternatively, if you have your heart set on MZNP, and if your flight does land at dawn, you might well make it. You can always email the park and find out what their rules are regarding late arrivals at the main gate. I think they will collect you for a small fee.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:18 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
I do think that will make your trip more relaxing. Even tho not seeing MZNP is :(

There is a huge metropolis call Bloemfontein about half way between Jhb and PE ... :whistle: As there is no SANPark there, if mites do have good suggestions, they will PM you.

Alternatively, if you have your heart set on MZNP, and if your flight does land at dawn, you might well make it. You can always email the park and find out what their rules are regarding late arrivals at the main gate. I think they will collect you for a small fee.

Yes, I have done this in the past at Numbi Gate to Pretoriuskop in the Kruger National Park when I have left Johannesburg at 13h00 on a Friday in winter. I can't remember what the fee was, but it didn't make me feel ill.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:22 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
Moira de Swardt wrote:

Moira I do not recall this ever being on the cards. There is however a long term plan to 'merge' MZNP with Camdeboo. This would include co-operation with other private reserves between the two. They are about 100km apart.

Ok, I got the wrong end of the stick then. I visited Pumba Private Game Reserve in 2008 when I went down to the National Arts Festival and I must have been half listening while we were talking about this merger concept. I was under the impression that what was being discussed with MZNP and Addo.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

2 years ago I drove from Jo'burg to MZNP in one day.
We left at dawn or so, and took quite an easy drive, stopping at some places along the way, including a 2-3 hour lunch stop at Nieu Bethesda. We made it to MZNP in good time, in the afternoon.

If you really wanted to go to MZNP, you could probably do it, but I think I would recommend staying over somewhere else, possibly Colesberg or Gariep. To my mind Bloemfontein is too close to Jo'burg to make it a worthwhile stop (too much driving on the 2nd day and not enough on the 1st).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 am 

@ Skill

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 am 

Oh that's brilliant! Thank you so much

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Skill, and a warm welcome to you :D

It being a Sunday morning would certainly cut down on your time as the traffic is reasonable. Once past J'burg the route is fairly staight forward.