Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Addo with a difference
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:yaya: Hello everyone! I'll be visiting Addo again in 3 weeks time... with a difference!

Actually there will be a couple of differences - firstly our kids (9 months and 2 years) will be coming along for their first visit :dance: so that'll keep us on our toes.

But the other difference is that I'm considering trying something of a live trip report. To make that happen I'm going to need a 3G or GPRS signal within the park. From reading through some of the other threads, it seems that 3G isn't available, so I was wondering whether anyone can tell me how good the GPRS signal is? I'm certain I've received cell/mobile phone calls in the park on previous visits, so I'd imagine it might be possible to get a data signal quite regularly :hmz: what d'ya think?

I'm thinking that I'd try and make it as much of a photojournal style report and keep my babbling to a minimum. Let me know you're thoughts on whether I should give it a try??

Post subject: Re: Addo with a difference
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:53 pm 

PJL, a live report will be wonderful! I have never posted from Addo, and it is only in the last couple of years that the main camp has had cellphone reception, but I am sure no matter how slow, you will enjoy doing it, and we will love reading it.

Turn off loading pics in your internet browser and bookmark the page you will post from to keep it all as quick as possible to load.

I have noticed at times the signal is terribly weak, or non existent, but only for a shot while.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:28 am 

Oh YES please, PJL - that would be brilliant :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Cannot offer any advice on the technical side I'm afraid, but really hope you manage to get it done :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the input Dalene & Carolyn :thumbs_up: Seeing as you're both so positive about it I'll definitely give it a try!

Having checked the vodacom gprs coverage maps, it seems that the park "should" have reception pretty much everywhere.... although no doubt there spots where it would be too weak. I'll be running my internet browser on bare bones so that it's as fast as possible, and FTPing images direct to a server in the US so won't have to wait for sites like TinyPic to load.

We're arriving in Addo on Friday 30th Oct and staying until Sunday 1st Nov. Once I've created a trip report thread I'll let you know the link.

The other thing I'm keen to know are people's favourite places in the park for best sightings. On previous visits, I've always had quite a bit of luck heading towards Carols Rest 1st thing. The sightings board has often had lion sightings at Marion Baree, but every time I go there I never see anything :big_eyes: Is that just my bad luck? Have others had good sightings there?

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:26 am 

Things are looking good for a 'live' TR :dance: PJL, we always head for the dams and waterholes, but have also not had so much luck at Marion B, though I have seen pics on the forum of lios taken at MB. Don't know if you have been there lately, but there is just a small, circular cement place for the animals to drink there now (the surrounding area was taking a knock before with erosion etc, so they have leveled out the old MB) - have not seen too much activity there of late, but you just never know. Carol's Rest and Hapoor are my favourite spots - always count on a lot of activity there, and such good viewing areas. I take it you do also know about the black rhino which comes to drink 'every night' at the floodlit waterhole in the main camp - anytime after 8pm - it has not treated us yet, but everyone else seems to spot it! Hope you have a good trip - it would be nice if we got some rain before then, very dry there now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That's great news PJL!

I for one will keep an eye on this part of the forums for the whole of that WE since I will be in Addo a week later. So I am VERY curious to find out what you will see and where you will see it.

@ carolynn, I'm pretty sure I will join your little "didn't see rhino coming down for a drink to the restcamp waterhole"-club. We tend to never see what all the others see. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Go for it PJL :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :clap:

Carolynn & Salva, we also haven't seen the rhino at the floodlit waterhole... yet! Perhaps this time we'll have some luck :D

We're thinking of heading in the south entrance of the park on the Friday we arrive. I presume they'll know about our booking even though it's at the main camp? Can anyone confirm?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
PJL, it would be great to have a live trip report from Addo. :thumbs_up: I am sure that Addo would benefit from the exposure.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

PJL

Rest assured, they will know about your booking.

In future I will always use the southern access for arrival and departure, like on our last visit. The road from PE to the main camp is a shocker!

Driving through the Colchester part is a pleasure in its own right, and a sighting or two always a possibility.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So looking forward to your TR. I did a "live" from KNP end Aug/early Sept and it was well worth while. Said it all while fresh in my mind.

Enjoy

J

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the info Hoep Hoep... nice to know that using the southern entrance will be ok. You're right, the road to the main camp is a bit bumpy!

@ Carolynn - let's hope some of today's rain touched down in the park nicely :D

It's a while since I've been through the southern section. For those of you who've been through it a bit mroe recently, have they shifted much game into it yet? Or is it still just the odd kudu and secretary bird?

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Live report sounds so good :dance: :dance: Please do!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 am 

PJL try to visit Zuurkop as often as possible. Aardlam and her 3 cups are being seen regularly. Also when it is hot, the ellies will be at Hapoor and Rooidam any time from 11:00 - 15:00.

Remember to do the Mbabala Loop, this is a beautiful road and we always see lots of Buffalo there !

Enjoy and have fun !!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks MarilizeB,

Would be nice to see Aardlam and her cubs - how old are they now? The lion I've seen on previous visits have all been pretty much full grown.