Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo main camp waterhole
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

When I went to Addo last April I was looking forward to seeing the hide overlooking the waterhole which had been constructed after my last trip to Addo. I was looking forward to spending some time in the hide to get some ground level shots of elephants and maybe some nightime shots of black rhino. The first thing I did after arriving on camp was checking out the hide. I must say that I was very disappointed with the hide.
From the hide you have an excellent good view of a waterhole from a low angle perspective. This waterhole is build small rise thereby obstructing the view of the main waterhole (see picture below taken from the hide)

The fact that you can't see the main waterhole from the hide is disappointing as this waterhole attracts the most wildlife and it's the waterhole where black rhino's drink almost every night. Has this waterhole been visible from the hide then in my opinion it would have been the second best waterhole to see black rhino in Southern Africa (the best waterhole is in my opinion Okaukuejo in Etosha). I managed to get a picture of a black rhino at the waterhole in the end, but it's poor quality because of the distance to the black rhino. This shot was taken using a Canon 1DMkIII, 500mm f/4 IS, 580EX with flash extender at 3200ISO. That is seriously streching the limits of photography and it resulted in a grainy image :cry: (but I think it's the first image of a black rhino at the waterhole on this forum :wink: )

Should the waterhole in front of the hide be adjusted in such a way that the main waterhole would be visible then in my opinion the hide would be an awesome venue for photographers. As it has been constructed now it's a nice place for the casual visitor but not the serious photographer.

Post subject: Re: Addo waterhole and black rhino
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Madach

I think the honour of the first rhino photo at the waterhole at night time belongs to Caracal. See her trip report September 2008. But, at that stage the small waterhole closer to the hide was the only waterhole with water. The one at the back was empty. She was therefore much closer to the rhino.

I totally agree with you on the problems with the hide. Just after the hide opened I "complained" in my trip report about the relative level of the hide and waterhole. The closer waterhole is also to high in relation to the hide, as you often get a photo of an animal without feet. Just not "lekker". This ellie was drinking and although he was only meters away from the hide, his feet was not visible. I believe you must be able to see the water in the waterhole to ensure decently composed photo's. This will still provide a low angle view of the animals.

We have just returned from Addo and I again went to the hide. Fact of the matter is that it will be very costly to change the level of the hide, but lowering the "hill" that houses the closer waterhole cannot be that difficult or costly. It will give a better view of the closer hole and at the same time make the second waterhole more visible.

Can somebody please bring this matter to the attention of the right people so that they can at least investigate this matter.

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I think the honour of the first rhino photo at the waterhole at night time belongs to Caracal. See her trip report September 2008.

Okay, I missed that trip report.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is that it will be very costly to change the level of the hide, but lowering the "hill" that houses the closer waterhole cannot be that difficult or costly

I agree totally that changing the level of the hide is not feasible. That why I also suggested lowering the level of the waterhole which is closest to the hide.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:07 am 

Thanks for the proof that the black rhino does in fact visit the waterhole -have never been lucky enough to see it! :clap: Pity, but we don't visit the underground hide anymore for the same reasons mentioned above :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:45 am 
Guru
Guru

Park management will take your comments about the hide view under consideration but any changes will depend on what is practically possible and the cost implications of the changes.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Megan

Thank you, this is what we have hoped for.

We believe that you guys will find a solution and then find the funds to execute that, but we are aware of the limitations that you must deal with. All of us live with that every day.

We really looking forward to some improvement to make the hide even more great! Thanx for all your efforts, we appreciate that, but then we only complain about that which is not perfect!

Johan

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Addo Elephant wrote:
Park management will take your comments about the hide view under consideration but any changes will depend on what is practically possible and the cost implications of the changes.

Megan,

Thank you for bringing it to the attention of park management. I understand that modifying the waterhole will be costly and that it is probably not a priority at this time.

Arnoud

Post subject: Floodlit Waterhole spectacle 28 Sept 09
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 pm 

We were camping in Addo at the end of Sept. In the evening of the 28th there was quite a viewing at the floodlit waterhole, with a hyena feasting on a carcass in the middle of one of the waterholes, a couple of jackal, 3 black rhino and a lone elephant. There were plenty of spectators, as some of the children were running around telling everyone they could find about it. There were also quite a few people with decent cameras, taking photos. I'm trying to find someone who took photos of this scene to post them or e-mail them to me. Unfortunately I've only got a normal fixed lens camera, which was unable to handle the lighting conditions. If anyone has got photos of know of anyone with photos of this evening, please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Floodlit Waterhole spectacle 28 Sept 09
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:40 am 

Sounds like a good sighting - would love to see the pics too :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Yeah me too!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:42 pm 

and me :D

DONT WORRY.... BE HAPPY!

back to Kruger for new year 2011.
then again HR Indaba May 2011.
Christmas 2011 - Agulhas Nat Park!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm 

Yeah, it was absolutely awesome. That is why I'm so desperately looking for some photos.

Post subject: Night time water hole viewing at Addo
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 pm 

Hi,

We're staying at a cottage at Addo Rest Camp for one night, and we were planning on doing a sunset tour that night, and a sunrise tour that morning. Is it possible to drive out to the watering hole with floodlights on our own without a guide?

We're trying to decide between the sunset tour and the night tour, as we've been told we cannot do both on the same night. We'd like to try to see the park both at sunset at night.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Night time water hole viewing at Addo
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You can walk down to the underground hide or watch from the the top next to the dayvisitors area.

A spotlight is useful, I found the view from the top better than the underground hide.

Post subject: Re: Night time water hole viewing at Addo
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The sunset tour should include a considerable length of night time driving as well. So you can have both in one drive.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.