Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Exciting game viewing in Addo...
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:37 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I am really enjoying these reports on your two trips to Addo - makes me realise I must make a plan to get there soon. :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Final report on Addo game viewing:

Friday, 16 January 2009

The last day, and not pleasant to say goodbye. Addo has been cool for 3 days, with so much to see. I hitch my trailer, and head off to Carol’s Rest – maybe those male lions will be there, but of course, they aren’t. I take the 4x4 route, and notice a zebra on the ridge above us. Maybe I can see them against the sun – but no, they are gone about 1 km down the plain in a cloud of dust! I keep going – maybe I can catch them as they cross the valley to the dam on the open plain. And yes, there they come! They screech to a halt in a cloud of dust and just stand there, splendidly and proud. Thank you, Lord, that was so lovely! I decide to do the tar road to Hapoor, maybe Roy and Megan will be around – I heard them roaring faintly this morning. Nothing. See a group of kudu on the verge of the road, eating next to the remains of a dead kudu. I remark on the irony -- they are now eating the greenery growing from their deceased relative!

I leave my trailer at Spekboom, and at Marion Baree I discover the beauty of this place when a herd of elephants politely files out of the forest, circles the waterhole carefully, then all pose on the opposite bank and gently lean forward to the water 1m below them....
All the way to South Gate, but no lions or caracal. Back at Marion Baree a lone hyena with a collar has a bath. The last picnic is celebrated with the last mango.
Time to leave. The friendly caretaker tells me they saw 2 young lions on a kill on the main tar road I just travelled on earlier. Is that possible? Lets take a last look.
Yes, Megan and Roy have killed a kudu within 50m of the kudu carcass we were commenting on this morning – irony again – the kudu that ate where one had died, has now himself died to become more greenery for the rest of the kudus... The traffic jam is terrible, so we turn around, hitch our trailer at Spekboom, and SLOWLY do the last few kilometers through `Lion Alley’ to Southgate.
I tell my wife: Peter Betts always sees his caracal around here... 100m from the gate, and an Isuzu stops. He saw a caracal somewhere down there in the bushes. I look, and yes, there he is sunning himself, and licking his paws! After 2 minutes he disappears – what a lovely end to an amazing experience in Addo.

Thank you, Addo, you have now become a PROPER WILDLIFE DESTINATION!

To all the staff at Addo – thank you for your vision – it has been a revelation to us. Now put the cherry on the top, and do the following:
o ADJUST GAME VIEWING TIMES ACCORDING TO THE SUN, like all other great game reserves! (it won't cost half as much as you think)
o Consolidate a few more of the bits and pieces of Addo, and TAKE DOWN THE FENCES BETWEEN! (start with Matyholweni)
o START ON A WILDERNESS CAMP IN MATYHOLWENI NOW – I saw lovely huge shady fig trees near the current roadcamp’s HQ – 10 campsites and 10 Safari Tents, with only an electric wire around to keep elephants, rhino and buffalo out; and a waterhole CLOSE BYE.
o GIVE US A PROPER HIDE IN THAT THICK FOREST OF MATYHOLWENI, OVER A WATERHOLE (like those in Mkhuzi, where you get CLOSE to the animals)

God bless for 2009,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Good evening,

I have posted 2 more Addo pics here: http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/pho ... puser=5886.

Hope you enjoy them.

Friedrich von Hörsten

Hi FvH,
i like your pics and Addo is again om my list for my next trip!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It seems like the Addo lions with cubs still thrill people...

Two weeks ago my friend Corsten Lazarus asked if Addo was worth seeing. I told him to look for the cubs near the southern gate. He did, and found them eating a kill of some sort. They had a marvellous time with the young cubs too...
I feel like going back soon!

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For me Addo will allways be worth a visit. Everytime we go there I see something new or exciting. Two years ago it was those giant snails in the early morning mist on Mathyolweni's road. Last year it was a newly born buffalo calf barely a few minutes old.

I can not waite for Easter Weekend to see my favourite park in the world. Maybe this year we would be lucky and see the lion cubs walking in the road or trying to catch something on their own.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:22 am 

Its been a while since I've popped over to Addo. I seem to be missing out more and more. Better make a plan.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 pm 

Our Park is as beautiful as ever after the last rains and still very exciting to see the smallest bird or our famous ellies....BUT the behaviour of the visitors at the waterhole below Zuurkop on the way to Carol's Rest :naughty: :doh: ...driving of the road onto the grass, not the verge...onto the grass next to a vehicle on the verge! :( When I requested him to please move back into the road I received the famous SA sign and look :shock:
Just imagine if seven to ten vehicles drive onto that piece of grassland on a daily basis, what will be left after a few days? They were so close that you can nearly touch them so why trying to get closer? Is it not time that we take ownership for our behaviour and abide by the rules? Why must Rangers or HR's always try to control adults :naughty: ...what examples do we set for our kids that will be the future owners of our Park. :pray:
Sorry for this but I feel better now and hopefully the culprit read this one day :D :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Signed my last school reports today, cleaned the classroom, and will just say goodbye to my principal tomorrow morning, before heading to Addo again!

This time for just 2 days in December, and hopefully the same in January on the return trip. The best male lions are gone, but it would be nice to see the little cubs that are now 2 years old already...

At least the weather should be cooler this time, which should mean less elephant viewing, but hopefully more cats!

Will try to post something sooner, IF I get lucky again.

God bless and enjoy your Xmas holidays,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We'll be waiting :popcorn: