SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 70  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

veerle wrote:
But I sent my first e-mail a week ago!(monday)

I would call them then if I was you. They deal with millions of bookings every day and it is possible to lose one or two emails. Besides that, emails can just disappear in cyber space.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Got two days extra at Addo whoohoo!!!! Arriveing 20 Dec now. Thanks Bouf, but I am sure this post will get answered soon enough.
[suckup]I have seen these forum members when they really get into action. Talk about a well oiled machine[/suckup]

[reallysuckingup] Not to mention the efficiency from Addo Elephant[/reallysuckingup]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I'll be there in August. I could post a few pics in September. Perhaps you could give Katydownunder a PM. She's just returned from Addo. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:24 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi from Addo

You can book a chalet which has two beds plus a double sleeper couch (sleeps two children). You can request for an extra mattress to be put on the floor in this chalet for the third child. A forest cabin, which also sleeps 4 people, will not have space for an additional mattress.

Once you have made your booking with central reservations, you can confirm your need for the extra mattress by emailing quezettevd@sanparks.org or by telephoning the park on +27(0) 42 2330556.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:52 am 
Guru
Guru

Safari tent 1 would probably be the best to go for...
I don't think you will be able to specify which tent you want when you book through central reservations, so phone the park (Tel: 042 2330556) one week before your arrival date and ask the receptionists (Quezette, Alice or Adri) to allocate you the tent you want.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ta!! I will do just that.

Ok forummers, where are my pictures??? Oh yes and before I forget. Please :pray:

Post subject: 4x4 Routes in Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:44 pm 

I will be in Addo on 27 and 28 June with my wife and 2 kids. We heard about the great 4x4 routes but unfortunatly we don't have a 4x4 ourselves, and would really love to do one. Is it possible for someone to take us on one of these outings or can we hire a 4x4 for the day. Who do we speak to?

Cheers :?: :idea: :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:02 pm 

Thank you very much for your reaction.
Our enquiry is sent to Addo. I am looking forward staying at Addo.

Kind regards,
Veerle

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:19 am 
Guru
Guru

The 4x4 trip is definitely worth it but we do not have 4x4 vehicles here at the park for hire.

You could probably hire a 4x4 from one of the vehicle rental agencies (e.g. Avis, Budget etc.) in Port Elizabeth. I am not sure what their rates are though....

Post subject: Congrats Addo!!!
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:11 pm 

In today's (28/6/05) Daily Dispatch:

Quote:
Addo scoops 3 awards

GRAHAMSTOWN - The Addo Elephant National Park scooped three awards at the South African National Parks (SanParks) Kudu Awards at the weekend.

The park was awarded the chief executive's best park award, while park manager Lucius Moolman received the best regional/park manager award.

Lulamile Toni, the sergeant ranger in the Kabouga section of the Addo Elephant National Park, was awarded a best ranger merit award.

The event, held at Gallagher Estate in Midrand, marked the official launch of the annual SanParks Kudu Awards.

The awards are in the form of a kudu statue derived from the organisation's emblem, the kudu head.

Addo social ecologist Megan Bradfield said yesterday the awards aim to recognise and reward those people who have made a meaningful contribution towards conservation in South Africa.

Internal awards are also given to those SanParks employees who performed exceptionally well within the organisation in the last year.

"We are honoured to have received these awards," said Addo Elephant National Park manager Lucius Moolman.

"The best park award is definitely a reflection of the dedication and hard work of all our staff members at Addo Elephant National Park."

Addo Elephant National Park received the best park award for excellent performance in the three core business areas of SanParks: tourism, conservation and people and conservation.

The park showed a 13 percent growth in visitor numbers, against a national average of 3,7 percent, and performed well in terms of conservation by successfully expanding the park and introducing wildlife.

In addition, the park has built a productive relationship with surrounding communities through the Mayibuye Ndlovu Trust. - ECN

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Food in Addo
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:46 am 

From what I've read in this forum I suspect, and hope, I'll be quite pleased with the answers to this.

We're visiting Addo next month. As Brits we're not exactly experienced with barbecues (braais) away from home - averaging perhaps two a year in the back garden. So, I was wondering what the restaurant is like there.

We were in Kruger 2 - 3 years back and were disappointed there. You could eat early and miss the evening game drive. You could try just after the gates closed but the place was packed and you couldn't get a table. Or you could go late but by then most of the food was gone and the place was filthy. Please tell me, truthfully, that Addo is much better.

Do we need to shop for food on the way up from PE or can we get everything for breakfast (and the braai?) when we get there. We may not get there till about 5pm and, of course, don't want to waste time around supermarkets (which we have in the UK) when there are animals to see (which we don't)

Regards,

David Pearson,
Amersham, UK.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:09 am 

Hi David and welcome to the forum!!

I have not eaten at the restaurant for a while so cannot comment on the food there now - but I am sure someone else will pretty soon. I have a feeling that you have to book a table, but also not too sure about that. It is run by the same company that runs the restaurants in Kruger as far as I know.

They shop at Addo is fairly small. You can buy basics but if you are going to arrive late in the day, they might not have everything you are going to need so perhaps a stop off at a Spar or supermarket along the way might not be a bad idea. In another recent post, someone said when they got to the shop on a public holiday, there was not much left in the shop in the way of braai wood/charcoal etc.

Post subject: Entrance to Addo through Kabouga 4x4 trail?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:12 pm 

Is it possible to enter Addo (For the first time) through the Kabouga 4x4 trail from Darlington dam?

The plan is to travel from Mountain Zebra on the dirt/back roads and then enter Addo at Darlington dam and then travel to Mvubu campsite and overnight there. Continue the journey to main camp and then camp there for another 2 nights. Is this possible and allowed while towing an off-road caravan/trailer? I have good off-road experience and obviously will be using a 4x4.

We will be two vehicles traveling in convoy.

Also will this be do able timewise?

Thank you in advance
ps - just to make you jealous, from there we will be traveling to Baviaans to experience nature there!

CATs

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:30 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum CATs.

Sorry - can't help you at all with your question but I am sure someone will soon. Your planned trip sounds wonderful! I think it is really a great idea to do MZNP and Addo in a trip. When are you planning to go? Be prepared for cold at MZNP if it is during winter. (Sounds like you are going to camp.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CATs,

Please hang in there till next week, when Megan Bradfield, the Social Ecologist from Addo, will be back from holiday. I'm sure she'll have the answer to your question...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 70  Next