Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Entering Addo:times
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:04 pm 
We're about to book flights from the UK to Port Elizabeth (arriving 1400 in the first week of October). Will it be possible to drive from there to Addo the same day, staying overnight in the park (and probably the next night as well). We've not been to South Africa before so are a bit unsure about what entry times to the park signify.
Since we'll only be in SA for 2 weeks, time is at a premium: would 2 nights in the park still give us a flavour of it, enabling us to see enough of the big animals, before we moved on?

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:17 pm 

Addo is about 72 kilometres from Port Elizabeth so you should not take more than an hour to drive from the airport to the park. The roads are clearly marked and if you have a good map of the area you should not get delayed with wrong turns etc. I can't tell you how long checking in at the airport and arranging a car will take you, but it seems to me that you should have enough time. I am sure that if you are delayed by events out of your control, the people at Addo will let you in. Megan will clear that up for you.

You can cover the game area where the elephants and other animals are pretty much in a day. So if pushed for time 2 nights should be enough. The best thing to do is to ask the staff and other visitors in the park when you are there where they have had good sightings. I have seen lion as well as elephant and many antelope from the picnic area in the main restcamp. But it largely depends on luck what you do get to see when visiting game parks here in SA if you are 'self driving'. But just experiencing the birdlife, small creatures and the atmosphere of the bush is wonderful anyway! Try and get to do a 'night drive' - they sound good.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:17 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks for giving your advice, DinkyBird.

The entrance gate times are 07h00 to 19h00 but there is a security guard stationed at the gate between 07h00 and 19h00. If you should be delayed and need to enter after 19h00, you can contact our reception (tel: 042 2330556 from within South Africa) and arrange for your keys to be available from the security guard.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:30 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Alan,
You can drive around the wildilfe viewing area in your own vehicle for most of day and/or get on one (or more) of the guided game drives. The guided game drives take you out into the wildlife area on an open-top landrover or truck with a guide for about 2 hours - these drives run from sunset to night drives. I think it is worth it to go on a sunset or night drive at least.

You can bring your own tent and stay in the main camp (Addo Rest Camp) camp site or you could stay in a Safari Tent (fixed tent on a wooden deck) or you could try Narina Bush Camp (four fixed tents in the Zuurberg mountain area). Narina Bush Camp is not in the Big Five area but is in a very scenic and secluded area of forest next to a river, lots of birds and small animals around.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:07 pm 
Guru
Guru

The semi-detached chalet would probably be the best option if you want an "internal" kitchen and close to the fence.

The rondawels have higher rates because they are situated closer to the floodlit waterhole at the main rest camp. Only the luxury guesthouses ansd the rondawels have a good view of this waterhole.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:01 am 
Guru
Guru

Just for information:
All the camp sites have now been electrified.

Post subject: Cooking at Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:58 pm 

Hello

I've just sent off my reservation for a Safari Tent in Addo and had a couple of questions. I think a lot of them are due to the rich variety of the english language, so apologise if they seem silly!

It mentions that they all have a Webber Braai - I know Braai are called Barbecues in the UK, but is a 'Webber' different?

Is fuel provided or available to purchase?

Is the crockery and cutlery in the communal kitchens divided up per tent, or is it just available on a first come / first served basis?

Many thanks - can't wait to visit and escape the miserable english rain and fog!!!

Alex

Post subject: Welcome
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there and welcome Alex UK

To answer your first questions a Webber Braai is a dome shaped "barbecue" which is used like a normal braai. Generally brickettes (square shaped coal) is used in them if you are wanting to use it like an oven. We always cook our Christmas turkey in the webber, you just cannot beat it for flavour. It has a lid that fits on top of it. However, it can also be used with carcoal and without the lid. Hope that helps. I am sure there is a website somewhere so you can see what it looks like.

As far as the second question is concerned, I cannot answer as I have never stayed in Addo. However I am sure there will be enough cutlery for everyone.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:29 pm 

Hi Alex and welcome! Jock has helped you on the Weber question (Weber is an American concept I think). Do you mean petrol when you speak of fuel? There is a petrol station in the main camp at Addo, or else you will be able to buy charcoal (fuel) and firelighters for the Weber at the shop in the camp as well as wood for a fire (you cannot use wood in the Weber). Not sure about your question on the cutlery story. I am sure Megan from Addo will help you out on that one. The communal kitchen in the caravan camp area does not have crockery and cutlery - I would imagine each safari tent will have its own stock if they say they supply (easier for the Addo people to keep count of).

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:30 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Alex,

Each safari tent has a cupboard with all the cutlery and crockery for two people. The cupboard is locked and you will be given the key.

Post subject: Accommodation Recommendation!
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:32 am 

Hi there!

We're going to be traveling to South Africa on our Honeymoon in the first half of December and have one night in our schedule for the Port Elizabeth area. I'm really keen to stay at the Addo Park - but don't know what to consider, accommodation-wise! (On a bit of a budget, so the 5* places are probably a no go!)

As we only have one night, it would be good to be somewhere accessible and from where we can see as much as possible!

Thanks for your help!
karen

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:48 am 

Hi Karen - we only really have camped at Addo so I am not in a position to recommend any particular type of accommodation eg bungalow/tent etc. The main camp at Addo is very nice. It overlooks a waterhole and has a view out over the Park so I would say try and get something on the fence there. Were you thinking of staying in a different camp to the main one? From the main camp you will be able to drive through the game area and should see animals.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Best view of the waterhole??
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:32 pm 

I'm hoping to visit Addo in Feb next year. It's one of the only Parks I haven't visited yet. Friends have been and stayed in accomodaton with a great view of the waterhole. Are these the Guesthouses? I see there are only 2 of them - is one much better than the other?
Can't wait to go. I'm living in England now, but each holiday has to have a visit to a Park included :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:48 pm 

Hi Gary - have you seen this map

EDT: Welcome to the forum!! :)

Last edited by DinkyBird on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:53 pm 

Hi again Gary - To give you a better idea - it looks to me that the footage taken of the waterhole here was taken from the picnic area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 70  Next