Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:55 pm 

Hi,

Although the park extends to the coast I don't think that you can get access to the coast on your own without arranging a tour. I am sure the Park's people from Addo will clear that up as well as your other queries. You can go 'in and out' - we have.

Look under the Addo topic as WTM suggests.

Last edited by DinkyBird on Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:58 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi DSchoeman,

I haven't been there so I wouldn't know.

Maybe these links will be able to assist you:

Addo Elephant National Park Forum

or this one

Addo Elephant National Park

or this one

Addo Elephant National Park Map

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

At present, access to the coastal part of the park is through two places - one at the Sundays River mouth and the other near Alexandria. You will have to drive for between 45 and 60 minutes to get to the beach as not all the areas of the park are linked up yet.

For both of these access points, you will have to travel out of the main camp on the tar road (R342) towards Paterson. Then turn right at the intersection towards Port Elizabeth. For the the Sundays River mouth, carry straight on this road which becomes the N2 and look out for the small town of Colchester on the left. Turn left at the BP petrol station and follow the road. You can drive to the mouth of the river.

For the Alexandria entrance, as above but turn left onto the R72 towards Alexandria. Just before Alexandria, turn right at the "Woody Cape" and "Beyond Adventure" signs. Take to more left turns on this gravel road and look out for the park offices on the right (at the "Alexandria Hiking Trail" signs). Here you can go for walks in the forest or get directions to the beach. You will have to do a bit of walking.

As other replies have noted, you can travel in and out of the park on a day.

Once our new access road is completed, hopefully by the end of this year, you will be able to drive through the park to the town of Colchester.

Megan, Addo Elephant National Park.

Post subject: Best month to Visit Addo?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We are going to visit Addo in March for the first time (It was always just Kruger visits) :!:

Is the month of March a good time to go or is it a rainy time?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:43 am 
Guru
Guru

Here in Addo our rainfall is sporadic and spread throughout the year, so it is difficult to predict whether it will rain in March. We do sometimes have a little peak in March/April and in Sept/Oct but the latter rains were late, so anything could happen!

The advantage of visiting in March is that it is starting to get cooler. The days in summer can be very hot - up to 45 degrees Celsius - but are quite pleasant in winter even though the nights and early mornings are cold.

Hope that answers your question!
Megan, Addo Elephant National Park.

Post subject: visiting in december
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:28 pm 

We will be visiting south africa for the first time in december 2005.
was hoping for a bit of advice on places to visit. so far we have decided on a route but the places to visit around this are still to be decided.
our plan is port elizabeth and the addo elephant park (how many days would be recommended to get a good experiance)then taking the garden route to cape town, stopping in knysna for a couple of nights on the way.
Staying in cape town for around 8-9 days then upto to sun city. before flying home.
we've never been to SA before and are a bit unsure of the best way to plan our park visit, wanting the best experiance possible from a 2 or 3 day visit.

any advice on this or any other part of our trip would be very much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: visiting in december
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:27 pm 

Hello Andy and Helen,
I'm writing to you from France, and want to share my "small" experience of South Africa (I went there 3 times, the last time with my 4 kids-family).
Of course, before planning your trip, be careful about the south african holiday periods (many places are very crowded during the holidays, so you have to book well in advance). I think you have to wonder what you are interested by (nature, town, museums, parks, wine,...).
I went twice to Addo park : we visited Addo the first time in February 1999 , as we travelled along the coast from Cape Town to Addo (and return) ; we spent 2 nights there.
For the second time (July 2003), we came from the northern part of the coast (Durban-Port St John's-East London to Addo), and spent in Addo 2 nights again.
I think 2 nights (or 3 days) are the minimum for visiting Addo ; even if it is not a big park, it is really something special, especially when coming from Europe and its grey towns.
You can really take time for safaris (since I went there, lions and hyenas have been introduced), to enjoy the peacefulness of the place, the restaurant or the braai, every thing with sun (due to the period you will be travelling). This can be a way of resting, between more "frenzy" periods.

Nicolas

andy and helen uk wrote:
We will be visiting south africa for the first time in december 2005.
was hoping for a bit of advice on places to visit. so far we have decided on a route but the places to visit around this are still to be decided.
our plan is port elizabeth and the addo elephant park (how many days would be recommended to get a good experiance)then taking the garden route to cape town, stopping in knysna for a couple of nights on the way.
Staying in cape town for around 8-9 days then upto to sun city. before flying home.
we've never been to SA before and are a bit unsure of the best way to plan our park visit, wanting the best experiance possible from a 2 or 3 day visit.

any advice on this or any other part of our trip would be very much appreciated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:51 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Andy and Helen,
Some of the best advice comes from other visitors, so I'm glad someone has already posted a reply.

Just to add to that, two or three nights are the usual amount of time that visitors spend here, although some spend much longer.

Bear in mind that there are many activities to keep you busy: guided game drives, bird hide, horse trails and hiking trails. You can also do day trips to the otulying areas of the park: the Zuurberg Mountain area, the coastal Woody Cape area and the arid karoo Darlington Dam area.

This park is the perfect place to start or end a trip on the Garden Route (Port Elizabeth to Cape Town).

Megan, Addo Elephant National Park

Post subject: Expansion - Addo Elephant Park
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:10 pm 

Megan, can you please give us some indication as to when additional conservation areas will be opened to the general public. Are there any immediate plans to erect more rest camps, roads and water holes?

I have heard that the new entrance gate from the Paterson area is reaching completion. How will this link-up with the existing road network?

Are there any plans at hand to re-route the railway line?

Looking forward to your reply.

Bushman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:29 pm 

I am also very keen to hear if/when the 'rest of Addo' will be opened to the general public and whether the public will be able to drive around it as they can in the present game viewing area.

I have heard that another camping site for tents and caravans is on the cards, is this true?

Post subject: Maps of Addo
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:42 pm 
We're hoping to visit Addo in August from the UK. I've been looking at the map on the website and am a little confused:
1 What scale is the map?
2 The large scale map only appears to show the central part of the park. Is this the only part open to the public or can we also visit the larger part to the north of the R342 and up towards Waterford?
3 Where are the satellite and Narina camps?
4 What are the symbols on the map (eg. the white star and the symbols on the road either side of the main camp)?
5 How long does it take to 'do the park'? A silly question, I know, but if we want to see most things the park has to offer without retracing our steps too much would three days be reasonable? Would it be sensible to split our time between different camps?

Many thanks for your help.

David P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:43 pm 
Guru
Guru

The new areas are already open to visitors, and most have accommodation options attached to them. Many have to be reached by driving outside of the park to another entrance gate. As the park becomes consolidated, new areas can be further developed.

The Darlington Dam area is about 2 hours away from main camp. There are 2 fisherman's cottages and a luxury lodge (Darlington Lake Lodge) situated there. Fencing of this area will be completed by the end of this year, and then predators can be introduced.

The Kabouga area is near the town of Kirkwood and is only suitable for 4x4 or high clearance vehicles. There is the Mvubu camp site here (no electricity points) and a 6-bed cottage. The 4x4 route can be started here. A canoe trail tender will be advertised this year. Once operational, it will run in the Sundays River from Darlington to Mvubu camp site.

The Zuurberg area is zoned as a wilderness area and thus only hiking trails and horse trails take place here. The starting point for these activities is about 17 km from main camp. The Narina Bush Camp is situated about 25 km from main camp.

The Colchester area has Matyholweni rest camp (12 chalets). At present you have to travel via Paterson and the N2 to get there, but a new access road will be complete by the end of 2005. This will link this new rest camp to the existing tourist roads in the main park. It is also close to the Sundays River mouth - access to the coastal part of the park.

The Nyati area (opposite main game area) is a concession area with Riverbend Lodge operating here and Nguni Safari Lodge opening later this year. Public access (unless staying in one of the lodges) is limited to our horse trails which run in this area.

The Woody Cape area (coastal and forest) can be accessed near the twon of Alexandria, 105 km from main camp. The 2-day Alexandria hiking trail runs through this section. There are also shorter walks available here, and access (by foot) to the coastline. There is also a luxury lodge, Instomi Lodge, in this area opening in June 2005.

The park is divided into different development zones, and attached to these is the development of different products. Our ultimate aim is to link all the areas of the park, hopefully by 2010!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:52 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear David,
Please see my reply to the post titled "Expansion" for more information about the new areas of the park.

The Narina bush camp is about 25 km drive from the main camp, in the Zuurberg Moutain area. It lies at the foot of the mountains, in indigenous forest and next to a river.

The staellite camp is Matyholweni, which is situated near the town of Colchester on the N2 highway. Acces from the main camp is about 45 minutes drive on the R342 towards Paterson and then the N10 (which becomes the N2).

Three days is sufficient for a visit. I would recommend spending the first one or two days wildlife viewing in the main game area (where most of the tourist roads are located) and then visit some of the new areas, especially Zuurberg (hiking and horse trails) and the coastal section if you have time.

Narina bush camp is really secluded and worth a stay, although it is not a "big five" area but great if you enjoy birds, nature and peace & quiet.

Post subject: Which accomodation..?
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:04 pm 

This year we will be exploring some of the KZN reserves. On my way back I am thinking of visiting Addo as I have not been there before.

Looking at the website at the accomodation options, I notice that the Semi detached chalets, Family chalets and Cottages are all priced at R500/night.

Which of the above would be the better option to take. We like having a "private kitchen" available and therefor the Rondawels do not seem to be an option (also more expensive, why?) Would also like something close to the fence

Post subject: Driving in Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:43 pm 
Hello,
We hope to visit late October 05 for 2 0r 3 days.
However I am not too sure about driving in the park. I would like to do a drive safari (4x4) with guide, and perhaps camp out for 2 nights.
Is this possible ? Is it agood idea even ? Any recommendations ? I would prefer to the minimal amount of driving

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next