SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo NP - transport to and accommodation in
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:47 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi susan1
If possible, its better to hire your own car. But if that is not an option, there a number of operators who offer either shuttles bewteen PE and the park or guided tours of the park. You can have a look at the SANParks website for this here http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/get_there.php or contact Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism in PE for more info.
Enjoy the trip!

Post subject: A million questions for an Addo newbie
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:11 pm 

hi all

I would really appreciate some help on planning a trip to Addo in about August this year.
I'm a Kruger fan through and through, but unfortunately I just cannot afford it this year (we fly to joburg and then hire a car, and it all adds up!)
So I thought I would try Addo to cure my bush craving!

I'm thinking of driving from CT in my car (ive heard its about an 8hr drive, is this true?), and I have so many questions:

1) would my BMW sedan survive in Addo? What are the roads like?
2) I've only ever been to Kruger, so what main differencs can I expect in terms of roads, birds and game viewing?
3) I'm on such a budget this time, that unfortunately we'll probably have to spend half our time in accommodation that is outside of the park, and half inside. we dont need anything fancy at all, but we do need our own kitchen (can be tiny) and our own bathroom, and two bedrooms. A small self catering place would be the best. Definitely as close to an Addo gate as possible. does anyone have any suggestions that are cheap (im talking like R300pp or less)?
4) we'll probably do the trip in two days (I know its not so far, but Id rather drive 4-5 hours a day and get the opportunity to stay somewhere interesting). any suggestions? somewhere different maybe, or an attraction thats along the way?
5) how long is long enough in Addo? If you ask me that question about Kruger I'll say its never long enough!! I was thinking of spending about 9 nights in total in the park?

sorry for so many questions, buy im getting excited now, so I want to find out as much as I can!

thank you thank you thank you!

Post subject: Re: A million questions for an Addo newbie
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Howzit camken,

I am going (back) to Addo next week, so maybe I can help.

1) Easily. There are tar roads and gravel roads like Kruger. It might not survive the trip there & back if it looks good and you leave it unattended. :roll:
2). Main differences. Lesser/different subset of animals, Addo eles are relaxed and you can let them walk right past the car. They sell a map book similar to Kruger's. Not as many birds, but some different ones, remember it is not an olive thrush, but a karoo thrush.
3). What about the safari tents? You don't have a kitchen or bathroom, but the communal ones are quite adequate. And they are on the game viewing fence.
4) Take the N1 to Worcesterm then do the R62 to Oudtschoorn, and then the Longkloof. You avoid all the slow dorpies and their inherant speed cameras designed just to fleece passers through. Uniondale?
5) 9 nights is too many, unless you want to exlore all the sections of the expanded park. 3 - 4 days in the original park is plenty. You can drive it all in half a day. Check the website in detail for all activities.

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:03 pm 

Thank you so much BB

1) I'll definitely not let my car out of my sight! haha
2) What about cats? and the smaller animals like civets, servals etc?
3) Im travelling with my mother, and she isnt keen on communal anything im afraid!
4) great advice, thanks
5) Im a little unsure what do do, because we would like a longer holiday, so if we stop over for a night on the way there and back, and spend 4 nights doing Addo, what would you suggest we do for a further 3 nights or so?

Geez I wish it was August already!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Camken

We did 2 weeks in Feb 12. (busy with TR)
1) Roads will be fine
2) Less variety, quality of sightings ...Addo will be more open in open areas and very dense in bush areas???
4 & 5) There are other Sanparks Parks...Bontebok, Wilderness, Mountain Zebra and Karoo National park.

(3 full days was about enough for us in Addo)

...just some thoughts.... :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:55 pm 

Thanks RichardJ

I had a look at MZP, and the cheetah tracking looks exciting!
Are the roads also good in MZP? How long is the drive from Addo?

I think we'll end up doing 4 nights at Addo and 3 at MZP

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Some thoughts from me as well:

We spent 5 nights in Addo at the end of March - and honestly,
we could have done with even more than that. Although my TR
is still in progress I'll tell you that we saw lions every day. And
there are only 9 of them in the whole park. The southern section
(Colchester Section) is the hot spot to find them. :thumbs_up:

I can't comment about civet or serval. But I know there is caracal.
We'll have to go back to find them though. :lol:

Mountain Zebra is absolutely delightful. I don't recall exactly anymore
how long it took us to get there, but I think it was less than two hours.

Go for it! It's a beautiful park! 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Striped polecat and caracal are often seen in Addo.

Don't recall their being civet or serval.

Never been to MZ, but my dad went once and had to shoo a black rhino off the road. I have only had good reports of it, so go for it!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

camken wrote:
Thanks RichardJ

As far as cheetah tracking goes, we cheated and tracked the cheetah trackers tracking cheetah.

Roads are fine.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:14 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
You can drive it all in half a day..

:thumbs_up:

Sorry BB but there is only one word for that statement RUBBISH. Are you one the mad maniacs who drive as fast as you can around the park? I am gutful of people thinking it is a freeway around the park.
Obviously the park is a lot smaller than Kruger, but it has such a lot to offer. Anyone spending nine days there will have the most relaxing time. During the week and during school holidays the park is not so busy except on weekends and there is lots to see. Any nature lover will visit Addo once and then will be hooked CAMKEN and going to the Mountain Zebra Park you will get hooked there as well. Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:22 pm 

camken wrote:
Thanks RichardJ

The roads are very good in the MZP and the scenery is spectacular, it takes us about two and a half hours to get there fom PE. Next time maybe you should try the Karoo National Park. enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Howzit jad. Don't apologise for what you believe. I don't.

Maybe your car is not mechanically sound. :tongue:

Let me qualify slightly what I said. Without speeding, or rushing around, you can drive the whole of the 'old' section of the park in half a day, provided you get to the gates when they open and can be back for an early lunch and repeat it in the afternoon and get back just by closing time. If we don't see anything, we don't linger waiting for something to come along. And I carefully try to avoid all the dung beetles that sometimes appear on the roads.

I am not including the Matyholweni section.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:39 pm 

Matyholweni section is not seperated from the so called old section. My car is new and mechanically sound and I still say your statement 'you can do it in half a day' is rubbish. But you have to admit Addo is one beautiful places to be. Hope to see you there one day maybe we can have a race and see who can go around it the fastest, but it sounds as if you have been practicing already. :roll: enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Camken :D

I am also a Kruger fan - through and trough - but Addo is a special Park in its own way. The others commented on the roads and game, but I would like to convince you to stay in the Park. Have a look at the safaritents that Bush Baptist mentioned, they are really super. They have a lovely deck, a private braai area, and are situated a few metres from the fence with a waterhole in the rainy months with lots of lovely waterbirds and other animals come visiting. The fully equipped kitchen and bathroom are very near to the tents - personally I think this is the best accom in the Park :thumbs_up: You can enjoy a sundowner on your deck with a few of Addo famous kudu bulls, an ellie or a buffalo keeping you company :clap:

Another option is the Forest Cabins. They are situated in the middle of the camp, therefore no view, but a better option as to stay outside the Park. They have bathrooms.

The dams in Addo give lots of entertainment - especially when the herds of ellies (and there are many), come drinking. The little ones are very cute. And Addo ellies are not as aggressive as the "bullyfants" (referring to our friend Cheetah here) of Kruger.

I hope you will find accom according to your budget and will enjoy Addo :thumbs_up:

Leana
Counting down: Kruger coming up in 16days time :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We are going to Addo for 4 nights for the first time in 31 yrs next weekend! :dance: :dance:

I love Kruger and KTP, but the "smaller" parks are great if you are wanting a more relaxing time. The enjoyment level in any park will definitely depend on youe expectations.

If you accept that there are fewer animals to see, then you don't have to go racing around to see all of them and you can take the time to sit at a waterhole and wait for them to come to you.

If you want to break your journey, Ebb and Flow at the Wilderness is offering 40% off low season accommodation and would make a fabulous break for maybe even 2 days on the way up and back (this would help your budget) and is great for birding all around the garden route area.

PE is not too far from Addo and, I think, is a lovely city to visit for a break and any replenishment of supplies.

Whatever you decide, go with an open mind and enjoy what you see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next