Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70
 Post subject: Re: showing up with no booking > requesting TR !
Unread postPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 pm 

hi Salva
I hope that you are having a great time and beg that you please post a TR & with pictures :pray: ?
There is so much information on the forum on KTP/KNP and so little on Karoo and MZNP while only a bit on Addo..
baie dankie Mona

Post subject: Re: Addo: Advice
Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:02 pm 

Are there any laundry facilities in Addo Main Camp?

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Jen,

No laundry facilities when we were there last year.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 pm 

Thanks lion queen

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:44 am 

Hello

We are considering going to Addo next year.
We are long time Kruger visitors, with over 1200 days in the park.
That being said, how is the addo?
Roads, game viewing ie what game is frequently seen, game densities, bird life and accommodation.
I see the Addo looks pretty fragmented, so do you only book into one section? Can we go to say the dunes if we are booked into the main camp?

As much info as possible would be appreciated, it looks, as it does lok like a lovely park.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello Gilbert .
We have just got back from Addo .. and as you live in the Cape its a good place to go.
Roads are good and we stayed in the main camp which we found spotless and well organised We self catered so cannot comment on the restuarant/. We only visited the main section and we found three days maybe not quite enough
A suggestion Why dont you travel slowly to Addo visiting the opther Sanparks on the way There is Bontbok in Swellendam . Beautuful chalets with views of the river and some nice walks .
Then the Wilderness at Ebb and flo plenty of walks and canoeingand the camp is green and lush and views pf the river are great
we then stayed at the wooden chalet in the kysna forests ( they have only one) its on stilts and is very luxurious
It has everything you could wish for including a jacuzi Dish washer Dstv,washing machine and tumble dryer ..Fireplace if you are there in winter and a posh braai on a deck outside . You are above the forest floor ..lovely then its Storms river mouth ( tstsikama) again walks sea views etc etc
and then to Addo. We returned via oudsthoorn , Sutherland and the Tankwa Nat Park Amazing place We left via the north and travelled via the botterkloof and Pakhuis passes to clanwilliam and home.
I hope that gives you some ideas We do not have a 4x4 all roads either tar or dirt were vere=y accessable

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:23 pm 

Hi there

We are hooked on Kruger, but have been to Addo too (in 2008) and LOVED it!

It is in Addo that I saw my first Caracal and then, the very next day, another one! (This after years of not being able to spot caracal in Kruger...). Every park has something special to it...

Go and discover Addo, you won't be disappointed!

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Gilbertr14,

Hugh - I echo your sentiments of visiting other camps to and from Addo...makes for a great experience allround. :thumbs_up:

We have been there in Jun'11 doing a circle route i.e. Wildernis, Addo, Mountain Zebra NP, Camdeboo and back via Outshoorn. In Jun'12 we did a Wildernis, Addo, Tsitstikamma route - both from Cape Town. Nice easy drive with great variety.

The personnel at Addo are brilliant people and most helpful. Addo can be accessed via the southern part i.e. N2 at Matyholweni camp and drive to the northern area to the Main camp, where we stayed. There is also a nice overnight hide/tented camp called Spekboom where one can stay and close by a picnic area with facilities for body breaks etc. It got a sighting board and there is also one at the main camp. Be careful of the black rhinos - they can be territorial and might surprise you... :hmz:

The ellies are a lot calmer as those in Kruger. We had some great lion, hyena, jackal, eland, buffs, rhino and Red hartebeest sightings. Kudus and warthogs are like the impala is in Kruger. Lots of great birdies all round and the small animals in the fields.

One can do a drive through the main park twice a day, so more opportunities to spot the allusive ones. I cannot comment on the greater Addo region i.e. Kabouga, Zuurberg, Darlington sections. But definitely doable to drive from the main camp to the Woody Cape section - at the seaside and back for the day.

Hope the info help a bit.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:16 am 

If one takes a drive down to the seashore areas of the Addo, can one get sea views while one is in the vehicle? I'm asking as a mobility impaired person who will NOT be able to do the walks down to the beach.

I have booked three days there in July.

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:16 pm 

Ok, my previous question (above) has gone unanswered. Perhaps no one knows the answer. :(

Maybe this one is easier ... are there Quelea quelea birds in Addo or is it too far South for them? I see from the distribution map that they are not present on the southern Cape coast.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Moira ... Not sure if this is any help but when we were in Addo ( and we love it)
we did try to get down to the coast but got lost :doh: :doh: We couldn't find how
to properly get there so just gave up and went back to the ellies :roll:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:32 pm 

dellac wrote:
Hi Moira ... Not sure if this is any help but when we were in Addo ( and we love it)
we did try to get down to the coast but got lost :doh: :doh: We couldn't find how
to properly get there so just gave up and went back to the ellies :roll:

Yes. I am on fairly limited time while I am down there (3.5 days) so I don't want to spend it on a frustrating drive.

At present it is my plan to get breakfast in Grahamstown where I will have just enjoyed the National Arts Festival for eleven days and then to head to Pick 'n Pay to get my meat and salads and then off to the Park. I gather that is nearly two hours drive for the 100 kms?

Then spend the rest of the day in the Park's Main Camp and surrounds. Early night because I will be EXHAUSTED from all the arts festival stuff. Late mornings early nights and much relaxing for three days. Elephants and hopefully black rhinos and then the little things will all keep me busy when not lazing about. :)

Then I will be ready to tackle the drive back to Johannesburg and the world as I live it every day in the City of Gold. I'll trade the sea views for a caracal. Or a pangolin.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi again ... Can think of no better place to relax I am very :mrgreen: :mrgreen: as we
really enjoyed the Addo in fact you do not really have to get up too early because it's not
a very large park. We stayed in the safari tents in the main camp AMAZING ... Also there
is a waterhole that you can wander over to in the evening. Have fun wish I was coming
with :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moira - you have such a short time in Addo, I would advise you to stay in the main part of the Park - there is so much to see and plenty of different roads to take.

We asked at Reception about the coastal parts and were told that there was not much to see at the part near Colchester (nearest to the Park). I don't know about the views from there.

We did decide to take a day trip up to the Woody Cape part. It was quite a long drive (plus minus 100 km) to Alexandria and then a long dirt road down to the Park. We didn't realise that you have to visit the Manager's office to get access and before we knew it we were past the Park. I think that the Woody Cape part is mainly for people to hike and look at the amazing trees. The road along the top of the cliffs, through a lovely dairy-farming area, was interesting, as we had never been down there before. No access to the beach until we got to a village called Boknes. We enjoyed the trip, but it was not game-viewing - rather exploring a part of the country we did not know at all.

Hope you have a great time in Addo.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 pm 

Thanks for the help, Hippotragus. Your advice makes a lot of sense, especially as I am going to Addo to rest and recuperate after what will have been a hectic time at the National Arts Festival over eleven days. I am setting myself a goal of attending an average of four exhibitions/shows/performances/events per day every day for the eleven days of Amazing. So unwinding in a place where there are no command performances, just gifts of nature, is going to be a strongly contrasting experience. After the bustle of the Festival to come into the unhurried presence of nature and just relax into it will be a completely different discipline and pleasure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70