Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo: Advice
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jossan and welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: If you want stay in the park there is not much availabilities left at least in the main camp. Have a look here. Unfortunately I cannot help you with the B&Bs. We are staying in the park.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 pm 
Guru
Guru

Welcome Jossan,
If you can't find accommodation inside the Park, you can look at this page http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/accommodation.php for links to the accommodation (B&Bs etc) surrounding the Park.

Post subject: URGENT: Addo main camp -What is better, chalets or cottages?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm 

We have a choice between chalet or cottage for our preferred dates. Which is better located & more comfortable for a couple with 6 month old baby? Thanks :)

Post subject: Re: URGENT: Addo main camp -What is better, chalets or cottages?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Depends what you want...

This is the camp.
Want to be near the waterhole? Or?

Have a look at the photos of the cottages, just click the photos to get an impression.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: URGENT: Addo main camp -What is better, chalets or cottages?
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:40 am 

We stayed in the Rondavel and loved it. If you can get a view of the waterhole it's worth every penny! Nothing like sitting on your porch watching the procession of visitors, especially the last 1/2 to 1 hour of daylight after the game area closes. Good luck!

Post subject: What best to do on 1st visit to Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi
This is my 1st time (trying) to post a message!!
Can anyone help me. We are arriving from the UK in the next few weeks and have booked our 1st visit to the Addo for 3 days 21st/24th Nov. staying in at the Matyholweni Rest Camp - can anyone give us tips on how to make the best of our few days

Ta Dellac

Post subject: Re: What best to do on 1st visit to Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi & Welcome!!!! :D
I'm sure that a few of our wonderful 'mites will weigh in here to give you great advice..but in the mean time you can look at some of the Travel Tales that have been written about Addo here....
and don't forget to come back & tell us all about your trip, so we can add yours to the index... :dance:

Post subject: Addo Rondavel
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 am 

Hello, do the Rondavels in Addo Main Camp have heaters? Am planning to visit in early June and am worried about winter cold at night as we are from the tropics.

Post subject: Re: What best to do on 1st visit to Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:10 am 

Hello Dellac,

I think you will find that 3 days game viewing in the Addo park will keep you more than occupied!
I live almost outside the gate of Camp Mathyloweni, and can suggest a couple of activities in the immediate area if you want or have time to explore further.
Addo Elephant back safaris, near Zuurberg, if you've never ridden an elephant, now's the time. The park also offers horse back safaris if you want to be closer to the ground!
If you are into bird watching don't miss the Nukakama Canoe trail, but if you don't feel up to paddling, there are ferries that putter about on the river.
If you are using a vehicle that can handle gravel roads, you might like to explore up to Lake Mentz which is a further section of the park.
Another section of the parks, Bushy Cape runs along the coastal dunes and might be of interest too (again if you have an gravel friendly vehicle).
Great place for a typically prepared South African "braai" is the Sunday's River Backpackers, which is set in the bushveld and has a super deck overlooking the Sunday's River.
Local pub Grunters in Cannonville just across the road.

For the more adventurous, there are also quad biking trails in the area, at Rossies place in Sunday's River.

If you need contact details for anything let me know..

Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Addo Rondavel
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good day Haribon and welcome to the forum.
I have not stayed in the rondavels before, but all the other units(from tents to guesthouse)where we stayed before are equiped with heaters, so I believe it will be the same with the rondavels.

Post subject: Re: Addo Rondavel
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Haribon,
The rondavels have an air-conditioning unit which can be used as a heater during winter.
Enjoy the visit!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Visited Addo for only 1 day in 2007 - and loved the "preview". So now we are thinking of coming for a bit longer in March 2011. Just wanted to hear from the wise - what's the weather like in Addo in March, and should 5 nights be sufficient? :huh: Well, I know the longer the stay the better, but that's all I am managing with the booking system currently... :slap:

26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bushbuddies!

I stayed in Addo in the middle of January for two nights and I loved it. We stayed in a rondavel, which has the advantage of a wonderful view on the waterhole, but the disadvantage of being small and with no kitchen. The comunal kitchen is right behind though, within meters and each rondavel has it's own stove, cutlery, plates and glasses. I cannot help you with info on the weather, but 5 days might be a little too long. The park is not that big and to me 3 nights would be the perfect number. "Time" in a park is a very individual thing. If for instance you only go out in the morning and laze for the rest of the day (there is a 5nice bird hide, mostly red bishops though)), I am sure that 5 days will be fine, but if you do drive around most of the day it might be just a day or two too long. IMHO of course :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 pm 

Hi Bushbuddies,
I don't think 5 nights is too long. We drive around most of the day - or are in the park itself most of the day at least. It will give you time to relax and stay watching at the waterholes or a sighting for a reasonable length of time. We pack snacks and something to drink then go and have it at a waterhole. ... its actually amazing just how quickly time flies when you are enjoying yourself :)
Weather in March should be pleasant. Hope you have a great time how ever long you decide to stay :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Micetta and BarkingMad! :thumbs_up:

Micetta wrote:
"Time" in a park is a very individual thing

That is so true Micetta - and to prove your point - 2 different opinions were given! We have now booked for 5 nights - 2 in Forrest Cabins and 3 in a chalet. (Didn't have the same accomodation available 5 nights in a row). Hoping to see lots and enjoy the peace and quiet atmosphere.

BarkingMad wrote:
We drive around most of the day - or are in the park itself most of the day at least. It will give you time to relax and stay watching at the waterholes or a sighting for a reasonable length of time

And that will be our plan as well! Hope to report back in April - and to be able to tell you all how wonderful it was! :thumbs_up:

26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next