Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo Length of Stay Questions?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here is a map of the Park with roads. As you can see there are tarred roads and gravel roads and you will not find what you call "traffic". You will of course see other cars and maybe a "traffic jam" of 4 or 5 cars if there is a lion sighting, but mostly it is calm and relaxing.

The gate times mean that the camp gates close and open at a certain time and you will have to be inside in between. If you arrive late you will be fined (and maybe not let in :wink: ) and you cannot get out before the gates open. In this period I think it is 7:00 to 19:00. Have a look at the Addo Park page under "Vital Information" on the left hand side of the page.

Post subject: Addo Elephant park
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:45 pm 

Going to Port Elizabeth at the end of july. is it possible to drive to the addo park and just book a safari when one arrives there? if they have to b pre booked can this be done through the park or does one have to use as an outside provider. don't need to stay in the park as will b ataying with a friend in port elizabeth. thanks

Post subject: Re: Addo Elephant park
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:05 pm 

Hi,

If you wish to go on a guided game drive, I suggest you prebook, and do this by calling the Park.

You could also do a self drive - try both :wink:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D Going to Addo when in PE is a must. Phone beforehand to book, you will find that Addo Reception is really really friendly and helpful :clap:
ENJOY :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:32 pm 

thanks, is it possible to just go for the game drive and not have to book overnight accommodation. one site i was looking at said that i would have to stay overnight!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D Morning :hmz: well, you may be right, but send an email just to make sure, the address is on their webpage under contact details for Addo. Otherwise, just do it on your own, booking in as a dayvisitor (you will have to pay conservation fees though) and I think you can hire a "guide", someone that is familiar with the park (not a big park, not too many roads to travel - you can do it on your own) to go with you. It is all on the webpage of the park. :clap:

I must say, you are missing a great experience not to stay in Addo camp, their accom are lovely :lol:

Hope the friendly people at reception :clap: :clap: will have you going in no time :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:08 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Megan will probably find this topic, but...

Yes you can pop into Addo for the day. And you can do guided drives, have a look here.
Bookings are essential. It is advisable to book drives in advance, particularly in the high season (October to March). Drives can be booked by Telephone: +27 (0)42 233 8621 or e-mail.

They cost R200 per person for a 2 hour drive. Now I hope Megan won't shoot me for killing her birds, but you can do your own drives just as well, stop where you want, for how long you want, at the place you want...

But I'm getting the impression that it's a first for you, and you don't know how and what? Maybe a little scared of the ellies? The the Eyethu Hop-on Guides may be an option for you.

Quote:
Guides can be hired at affordable rates to get on your vehicle and guide you through the game area. These are local community members who have been trained as guides and now run their own small business. Meet the guides at the main game area gate of the Park or book via addoenquiries@sanparks.org
Per 2 hour guided drive with your own vehicle

* For a car: R120
* For an 8-seater vehicle (condor): R155
* For a minibus (kombi): R180
* For a bus with 18 or less people: R240
* For a Bus with more than 18 people: R365

Note: Fees are payable directly to the guide

Operating Hours: 08:00 to 17:00

Somewhat cheaper, and you still get to stop and stay where you want.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 pm 

If you are only there for a day, why not have the best of it all - and do a self drive during the day [its pretty easy to follow the map and find your way around] and book a night drive, which you cannot do on your own. The night drive starts after the game area gates close. You do not have to stay overnight - you could have an early dinner at the restuarant before the night drive, or enjoy the night drive then finish the day off with dinner. As PE is not too far, you will still be home at a reasonable time. :)
ps - if you decide to book a night drive be sure to take WARM clothes for it - it gets really cold on those open vehicles at this time of year.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 pm 

thank you all very much for you time given in answering me. info given was excellent. think we will probably book into a drive as well as doing one of our own. Am so excited about it all as this will a first for me. this forum is an excellent way of finding out information.
Thanks again everyone.
Shirley :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 pm 

Hi Shirley,

Either way you will NOT be dissappointed. The staff are second to none when it comes to friendliness.
Also enquire about either an evening or night drive as well. You may well be lucky enough to spot Bat-eared fox, Aardvark, etc Not to mention the awsome impression you get of an elephant by torchlight too.

I hope you have a truly memorable visit in Addo.

Nick

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 am 
Guru
Guru

Welcome Shirley :D
Your question has pretty much been answered but basically you don't need to book for a day visit (you can just arrive and pay entrance fees = conservation fees at the gate), only for guided activities or for overnight accommodation. You can pay for guided activities on arrival at the Park while accommodation requires a pre-payment to secure your booking.
Enjoy the visit!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Shirley.

The advantage of having a guided drive is that the guide will (hopefully) pass on knowledge.

The road setup in the park is such that you will struggle to get lost and can drive the whole park yourselves in half a day.

I hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Addo: Advice
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm 

Hi
I'm new here!

We are arriving in Cape Town in August. We are there for 3 weeks. We hope to do some sort of safari. After lots of googling I think we want to fly from cape Town to Port Elizabeth and hire a car to drive to Addo. We would like to self drive during the day and then perhaps book an evening or night safari. The plan is to stay in the park for 1 or 2 night before returning to Port Elizabeth to fly back to Cape Town. There will be 2 adults and one 11 year old travelling.
We have never been to South Africa before, so hoping that someone can advise us on whether this is the best way to do a safari from Cape Town or if there are any better alternatives.
Also what is the food like in Addo, are we better eating in the restaurant or self catering?

Thanks in advance

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm 

Hi
How much of your holiday have you already booked?
There is a huge amount to see and do between Cape town and Port Elizabeth and it would be a shame to miss it all.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:49 pm 

We've booked return flights from the UK to Cape Town plus 3 weeks accomodation. 1st week in Seapoint then 2 weeks in Strand. They are timeshare exchanges.
We really want to do a safari so are quite happy to waste the 2 nights accomodation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 73  Next