SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Family Friendly Accomodation
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:36 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi mum :D
You could try the chalet with sleeper couch which has two single beds plus a double sleeper couch in the same room (which is also open to the open-plan kitchen). Two kids (or two adults) will fit on the couch and then you can ask for an extra mattress and bedding for the third. Or if one child is still a baby, you can ask for a cot.

Post subject: Re: Family Friendly Accomodation
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you have any non-SANParks accomodation ideas/suggestions Please send them to "mum" via private message .
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Addo: accommodation
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Somehow I can't find the Darlington Dam Fishermen's cottages anywhere on this forum -- I know they are somewhere!
Can anybody help?
Planning a school Photography Tour in April, and am thinking of this as an option before camping in Main Camp.
Condition of roads would help -- travelling in a Toyota Hi-Ace plus trailer.

Thanks and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:03 pm 

Hi there, we will be visiting Addo in April: two nights in Addo camp in safari tent and two nights in Matylholweni?? camp in a cottage.
Would like to know the following pse:
- what is the size of Addo in comparison to KNP?
- what is the distance from Addo camp to Matylholweni? camp?
- what is Matylholweni camp like? (I don't see any comments or photos about this camp)
- where can I view some pics of M camp?

I loved doing the Wilderness Trails in the KNP (it was an addiction!!!!! hehehehehe), but moved to Knysna last year.... so I guess I will be visiting Addo in future.
Any other suggestions about Addo?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:19 pm 

Hi (great to see you here :D ) Diesel,

Please read RonnieL's Addo Park Experiences .
You may not find all you need to know there, but it gives you great info about Addo 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 pm 

Thanks Matthys, will have a look.
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:25 am 
Guru
Guru

Diesel wrote:
Would like to know the following pse:
- what is the size of Addo in comparison to KNP?
- what is the distance from Addo camp to Matylholweni? camp?
- what is Matylholweni camp like? (I don't see any comments or photos about this camp)
- where can I view some pics of M camp?

Addo now covers about 180 000 hectares while Kruger covers just under 2 million hectares. Most visitors to Addo only visit the main game area (which stretches down to Colchester) and this covers 24 000 hectares with about 120km of tourist road loops.

Addo to Matyholweni is 36 km when travelling inside the park.

Matyholweni is much smaller and therefore quieter than Addo main camp. There are only 12 cottages and no swimming pool/shop/restuarant/waterhole lookout. It's coveniently situated 3km from the N2 near Colchester but you can't see or hear the cars on the highway. There are shops, restuarants, river activities and a fuel station in Colchester. There's a low level electrified fence around the camp. there is no cellphone reception in the camp.

You can see pics of the cottages on the website if you look at accommodation or availability.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:38 am 
Guru
Guru

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Somehow I can't find the Darlington Dam Fishermen's cottages anywhere on this forum -- I know they are somewhere!
Can anybody help?
Planning a school Photography Tour in April, and am thinking of this as an option before camping in Main Camp.
Condition of roads would help -- travelling in a Toyota Hi-Ace plus trailer

Hi Friedrich,
There are 2 cottages at Darlington that sleep 4 people each. We don't promote them on the web as they are very rustic and basic facilities (and therefore not comparabel to say cottages in the main camp) but do have electricity, basic cutlery/crockery and bedding. You can email addoenquiries@sanparks.org to make a booking.
The roads are all gravel and not wonderful condition but you should be fine with a high clearance type vehicle. There are no tourist road loops in this area so you will stick to the area surrounding the dam.
Animals that occur here: black wildebeest, mountain zebra, gemsbok, kudu, springbok and lots of birdlife on the dam.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Megan,

Will do that!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 pm 

Megan

I gather from the information provided that there is no caravan camping facilities in Addo other than that at the main camp. SanParks should consider a low cost caravan camping sight such Tsendze, Maroela and Balule in Kruger.

Len

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Len,

Addo is always coming up with new ideas, so just be patient!

About 18 months ago a few of us discussed this on the forum, and I suggested a caravan/safari tent specially for those who love the bush without shops etc, maybe in the new Matyholweni area.
Not long after that I discovered that they had turned the dilapidated old Spekboom hide into a VERY special exclusive budget camp for safari tents!

Just keep reminding them. I am sure there is something like that already in their long term plans...

Maybe one day Darlington Dam will be joined up all the way across to the main game viewing section...
Maybe one day they will have cheetahs in Matyholweni with all those lovely open plains (they can cull the warthogs instead of having them shot by hunters)...
Maybe one day they will have wild dogs in the main hunting area too -- there are so many kudus and warthogs.... and the interaction between dogs, hyenas, lions, cheetahs and leopards could keep them all from breeding too rapidly!

Thanks for such a good suggestion!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 am 

I would love to see a new campsite in the south section near Matyholweni area. Only need an ablution block, don't need lights and for tents only, that will be paradise.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:43 pm 

Why tents only ? - I would hate to be excluded with my caravan from this proposed camp !

Len

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 am 
Guru
Guru

Don't worry, Len Loader, jad and Friedrich...a new camping area in the Matyholweni area is definitely one of our plans but that's all I'm saying for now 8) ...otherwise you'll get too impatient :D

Len Loader wrote:
Megan

I gather from the information provided that there is no caravan camping facilities in Addo other than that at the main camp. SanParks should consider a low cost caravan camping sight such Tsendze, Maroela and Balule in Kruger.

Len

There is also our very rustic camping ground in the Kabouga area - Mvubu campsite - which is great if you want a quieter stay. However, it's not in the Big Five area. It's grass-covered with some shade and next to the Sundays River. There is no power and only one paraffin-heated shower and a toilet plus braai units. You need to take your own drinking water, firewood and all supplies. Only high clearance vehicles can get into this area and if there is quite a bit of rain, they close the section. Fishing and canoeing are allowed in the Sundays River but you do need to have a look out for the hippo that occur in the area.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Megan wrote:
Quote:
Don't worry, Len Loader, jad and Friedrich...a new camping area in the Matyholweni area is definitely one of our plans but that's all I'm saying for now ...otherwise you'll get too impatient

What more can I say?!!!

Hope it is near a waterhole for game viewing from the camp!

Keep up the good work, Megan!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next