Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo: Internet/Cell/3G Coverage
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 pm 

Hi Guys

Is there anything in the pipeline to get better 3G signal in Addo?
I am sure if vodacom or MTN upgrade their towers just outside the park the whole park should be able to get good reception..

Please let me know if something like this is planned if not, is there an objection to it getting better? If no objection, can we see how many forum buddies would be happy to have better 3G coverage in the park?

Regards

Simon

Kruger: 27 April - 30 May 2012

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At the moment I actually only get GPRS with Vodacom 3G USB Modem.
Would love to have full 3G in the park. Would make live sighting posts worth while. At the moment the net is just so slow that it's way too much effort and takes too damn long.

Post subject: 3G in Addo
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:09 am 

Hi guys

Would it not be great to have 3G access from the main camp in Addo?
Could SANparks not approach one of the network providers and request a small tower, nothing huge, to be placed in the main camp, similar to Skukuza or Pretoriuskop. This will allow folks like me to easily do trip reports whenever we are in Addo. Also live blogging, twitter updates and pictures from the waterhole at night would be possible. The GSM coverage available at the moment is so slow it takes hours to do anything online.

I realize a tower might not look so great but I also know these days they have unique ways of disguising the towers and this could be very valuable for the park. It could also be a good source of income for Addo as the networks pay to host these towers.

Anyway just an idea, would love to know if this will be possible.

:thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: 3G in Addo
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now that you are at it, make them put one in KTP too :lol:
back to nature, eh? :roll:
It would be convenient but in some way I do not think it would be right!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi simonb,

We will make some enquiries about this but as far as I know, if you approach the service provider, they do not usually offer to pay you. In fact sometimes you even need to go into a rental contract with them and only if they make the first move will they offer to pay you.

Post subject: Re: Internet/cell/3G coverage in Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:48 am 

hehe after much blood sweat and tears the goodnews, no the GREAT news is that Addo Elephant Park officially has full 3.5G connection from both Vodacom & MTN. Will be in the park in a few days time and will update about reception in the park, Will also report back when I have done a speedtest.

A huge shoutout and thank you to Pieter Uys CEO of Vodacom for bringing Vodacom 3G to Addo ;-)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:54 am 

Addo Elephant wrote:
Hi simonb,

We will make some enquiries about this but as far as I know, if you approach the service provider, they do not usually offer to pay you. In fact sometimes you even need to go into a rental contract with them and only if they make the first move will they offer to pay you.

So what was the verdict, are you renting the equipment from the networks or was a tower more valuable that you thought ;-)