Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Stunning J.J. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Addo Lions
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 pm 
Guru
Guru

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Why use contraceptives on lions that are a BIG tourist attraction at Addo, and allow the hyenas to keep on breeding freely?
Surely more lions would mean less hyenas as they are know to kill young and older hyenas whenever they can.
The opposite is also true: hyenas surely will kill small unattended lion cubs whenever they can, so maybe there won't even be the need for contraceptives with so many hyenas around at present?
How many spotted hyeans are in Addo at present?
Do the hyenas not have a serious impact on prey animals too? Pics of hyenas surrounding an eland and killing it were shown on this forum recently. I would rather put them on contraceptives and allow the lions to breed once in a while...

To reply to Friedrich's questions above (and I haven't quoted the whole post here), contraception is one of the management tools we use, in conjuncton with translocation, to ensure their is a balance in the ecosystems within the Park. We also need to think about the health of each population's genetics which means we do use contraception and translocation for genetic aims too.
We do need to limit the numbers of lions in the main game area (I'm including the Colchester section in this) since lions have an impact on prey species. Spotted hyena also have an impact on prey species and so we monitor their numbers too. So far, we have translocated some hyenas in the past out of the park to control numbers. We have not needed to contracept them yet as their social structure, as well as the effect of the lions on them, has kept their numbers in the acceptable range. Hyenas have a matriarchal society and if the matriarch is deposed/moved, there is fighting within the ranks to establish a new structure, which can also act to control numbers.
There are 17 spotted hyenas in the main game area presently.
Lions will kill or attack hyenas just as hyenas will kill / attack lions because they are competing species in the ecosystem. It all depends on the relative numbers of each predator at a confrontation as to which species will be the most dominant. It is said that 1 adult lion is equal to 3 adult hyenas in terms of dominance.
We will need to continue to manage the two species with contraception and with translocation in the future.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Morning Megan

Thanks for the interesting reply. It makes a lot of sense, especially the inbreeding part. I am also glad that you have relocated some hyenas to keep their numbers down!
I suppose it has been frustrating not to show my school photo club any lions in the past 2 outings (5 days) to Addo, especially since I remember how (relatively) easy it was when the lions had cubs, since they did not move such large distances at a time, and could be spotted more regularly in certain areas.

Obviously you won't answer for a while, but if you read this one day, I am still curious about the warthogs in Addo -- you culled about 400? during the drought 2 years ago, and I can see the effect in the Main game viewing area. Interestingly, in 3 days we really did not see 1 SMALL piglet in this area, but only a few medium sized ones.
In Matyholweni the opposite was true. On Harvey's loop alone we must have seen 50+ pigs, and 75% of them were teeny piglets! They obviously thrive down there, and maybe the open patches next to the road attract them.
Question: The lions are there, most hyeans hang around Main Camp, and the odd lynx or jackal could catch a piglet. Are there enough predators down there to keep their numbers in check?

Thanks again and God bless,

Friedrich von Horsten

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 pm 

Hello,

we saw this lovely lady on June 5 around 11am on the Vulkani loop. Can someone help me with her name ? Just a bit later at the 37/38 juntion there had been 2 young males with their warthog kill, but they had dragged it off by the time we got there and could no longer be seen. Thanks in advance !

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi kellyee,
Lovely photos! This looks like Aardlam - she is missing the black tip to her tail. Aardlam is one of the original 6 lions that were translocated here from the Kgalagadi.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 pm 

Thanks so much for your reply Megan, I thought it might be but I wasn't sure if any of her offspring had the same white tail. We really didn't go expecting to see lions so this was really a great surprise. Thanks again !

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:03 pm 

After the rain last Saturday, Gina and her boys must have took mud baths. Even their faces was full of mud.

Then one of the boys walk through the wet bushes and appear with a cleaner face...

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Man, I love that first shot!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Brilliant, J.J.!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But are you sure these are Gina's boys?
They look more like proper adults. :hmz:

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm 

Beautiful pictures.....Im badly missing Addo !!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:21 pm 

Where are the lions keeping these days?Have'nt had any lion news for a while now.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:47 pm 

We have been in Addo for a couple of days and were lucky enough to see two beautiful male lions on the domkrag loop. We are not experts on the lions in Addo. Would anyone have an who hangs out in this area. It would be interesting to know what lions are still in Addo.
Regards

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Only guesswork here, Readles, as last time we were in Addo (March 2012)
all the lions were in the southern section of the park. However, two males
parted from their mum shortly after that, so maybe it's them who establish a new territory. :hmz:

Wonder if they were named by now?

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Readles,

I haven't seen Addo lions for a while now, but if they were not the two young brothers, then it should be Roy (Megan's brother) who should be a mature black maned lion by now, and Nomad who is older, but lighter maned from what I see in the pictures.
Need to get back to see them myself!
Thanks for sharing, and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next