Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Addo: Roads
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:47 am 

Hi all.

I have been to addo 3 times and enjoyed it tremendously and have booked again this year over new year. the last time i was there was 2 years ago, are there any new roads to drive on? maybe in the Nyati or Zuurberg sections?

Wayne

Addo 29-12-2008 to 07-01-2009 Booked & Paid!

Post subject: Re: Driving around Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:26 pm 

I had the oppertunity to drive the Nyati 4x4 a few months ago with the Rangers. Beautiful. But it is not open to the public.

There is no new roads in the Main Camp area. But there is a new entrance road from the Sundaysriver.

The Kabouga section offers the Bedrogsfontein 4x4 route. 6 hours and i can recommend that. Bookings at the Main Camp.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:50 pm 

mmmm pity i havn't got a 4X4 :( but thanks for the info.

Addo 29-12-2008 to 07-01-2009 Booked & Paid!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:56 pm 

MadWab wrote:
Hi all.

I have been to addo 3 times and enjoyed it tremendously and have booked again this year over new year. the last time i was there was 2 years ago, are there any new roads to drive on? maybe in the Nyati or Zuurberg sections?

Wayne

Hi Wayne there isa newish road (about a year old???) above Carol's rest in the main Game Area

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:17 pm 

I drove the Nyati 4x4 route 3 months ago with the Rangers but I do not think it's open to the public.

I'm visiting Addo 2 to 3 times and more per month so all the roads are "old" in my opinion.

Post subject: New Roads in Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:18 pm 

In the new section of the park between Camp Matyholweni and the South Gate I noticed what looks like new roads being laid out - is this the case, and if so, when are they due to be completed?

Post subject: Re: New Roads in Addo
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:29 pm 

Yes, you are correct. The one will be towards an easterly direction and the other more westerly. There are plan for a loop towards the north west in the dense section, but it will cost millions to build.
Some of the elephants can be moved to the Colchester section and without these roads they will simply disappear. If all goes well we shall be able to drive on them soon.

Last edited by Katenda on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:21 pm 

Thanks Katenda - exciting to know that new parts of the park will be opening up to us. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 am 

The new roads look great and there is a lot of activity going on. I just dont know why it is being done at this time of the year especially in the bushy areas where thousands of Southern Tschagra Shrikes, Southern Bou Bou, Tinkerbirds, Karoo Robin, Bar Throated Apalis, Wood Owls, Nightjars etc are right in the middle of their nesting season...I would have thought the other 9 months of the year when this breeding is not going on would have made far better conservation sense...but then birds aren't glamour species and must just fit in with man and his plans it seems :(

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:20 pm 
Guru
Guru

All parts of the ecosystems in the Park, birds included, are important in terms of managing for biodiversity conservation. The roads being made in Colchester were subject to an EIA process before the work commenced. The EIA process would need to take into account all the effects of the development on the environment.

There are two important things to remember: 1) the bush being cleared for roads is a small percentage of the total thicket vegetation in the Colchester area and 2) no time in a bird's life cycle will ever be ideal for its habitat to be disturbed. However, we do have to have some tourism infrastructure in Parks in order for us to fulfill our mandate of making them accessible to visitors so they can enjoy their natural heritage and so that we can generate funds to carry on with the business of conservation.

Where we have species which are endangered, we do need to take special precautions and make exceptions. None of the birds mentioned are endangered or otherwise listed, except for owls which in general are vulnerable.

When birds are breeding and their habitat is modified, this may lead to the loss of some eggs or nestlings. However, birds can move and breed again if it is not too late in the season and the climate is right. Many birds moult after their young have fledged and this is a time when the young are often still being supported by the parents with supplementary feeding. This is a vulnerable time for the birds and a potentially worse time for the habitat to be modified. Young birds need stability in the environment as they learn to feed and migrants need to fatten up before the great trek. In winter, food is scarce and the shelter of the thicket at night time may be crucial for birds' survival in this environment - also not a great time to modify the environment. In winter, the aloes flower, providing a vital source of food for birds and destruction of aloes at this time could also have a big effect on birds.

So in conclusion, there is never a perfect time to modify the environment or to clear thicket, but in the bigger picture of conservation (which is a human activity aimed at sustaining the wild environment), this is not a bad time to do so.
(and thanks to Charles Marais, our local bird expert for the input here).

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:04 pm 

Hi Megan,

What incentive will the game already in the main area have to move into the Colchester area given that there is an abundance of food, water and shelter already available to them? Is it the instinct to explore and migrate?

Do waterholes exist in the Colchester area naturally or are they being excavated?

If the fences are to be dropped, what controls will be in place in terms of preventing the lions from crossing?

Do you have a list of what is expected to be in the Colchester area in terms of the speed of translocation?

We were extremely disappointed at the lack of roads branching off the southern road in the main game area (for example, off out towards Gorah) which meant that, unless the game was alongside the road, you have virtually no chance of seeing anything - are there plans to ever address this? I fully understand that the intention is not to encroach too much on the habitat, but the chances of viewing are that much more limited.

Benn

KNP - 10 nights 05/2007
Addo - 10 nights 12-21/10/2008

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 pm 

Benn..the Gorah area is a private concession and I too would love to go there but like Kruger there are certain areas that are for high paying guests of these concessions only...When Addo moved Ellies to Nyati Section the Addo/Paterson tar road was closed off and a temporary crossing was made and the Ellies were driven across so I dont think lions will be part of that if the same method is used for Colchester

I myself cant see the fences being dropped as the road there is a provincial dust road and is quite busy...But Megan can tell us what will happen...I find the Southern access road one of the most visible in Addo and 90% of my lion sightings happen there

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:08 am 
Guru
Guru

Benn Kempster wrote:
Hi Megan,
What incentive will the game already in the main area have to move into the Colchester area given that there is an abundance of food, water and shelter already available to them? Is it the instinct to explore and migrate?
Do waterholes exist in the Colchester area naturally or are they being excavated?
If the fences are to be dropped, what controls will be in place in terms of preventing the lions from crossing?
Do you have a list of what is expected to be in the Colchester area in terms of the speed of translocation?

The first phase of the plan is to move elephants, red hartbeest, eland and buffalo (not necessarily all at once and in that order) into the Colchester area by means of capture and introduction. This should happen in the autumn/winter months next year. There are already kudu, bushbuck, bushpig, caracal, warthog and smaller mammals in the area.

The long term plan is to open up across the gravel road. As this is a public road and can't be deproclaimed, there will be electrified grids and gates at each end of the open section to prevent wildlife from escaping and allow traffic through in a controlled manner. Once this opening up and joining of areas happens, lions, hyenas etc. will naturally move into the Colchester area as they extend their territories, explore the new area and hunt for prey. This long term plan will only take place once more tourist roads have been added to the ones that are now being contructed to alllow visitors to get to see the wildlife in this area.

Water supply in the Colchester area will be largely in natural pans which fill up with rain and there is a large natural spring in the area too. There may be one or two borehole-supplied water too, depending on management needs.

Post subject: Re: Addo roads
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 pm 

hello people

i was wondering what is the conditions of the roads?

because i have a old car (city golf '87) which is doing fine...but really, i dont know if it is a good idea to take my car for a game driving in addo

thanks for any advice ^^

Post subject: Re: Addo roads
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mokona and welcome to the forum. I have been in Addo a bit more than 2 weeks ago with a vw Polo and I could use all roads. The only one thats not good is the oneway done from Carols Rest, but apart from that you won't have any problems