Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Oldest Addo bull elephant dies
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:55 pm 

This is extremely saddening news. :cry:

Yes, we can go on about teh whole cycle of life etc. But Gaatjies was a doyen of the park.

May he rest in peace, hopefully he is unching on some spekboom in the sky
:thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Addo: Elephants
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:01 pm 

Hi guys,

Can someone help to ID this elephant. Spotted right hand side of the grassland near the old gate in the middle of the park. This was taken in 2009. Wanted to upload this backin 2009 but lost the SD card and images. Lucky I found a few pics on a friends card who was with me at the time. Apologies for the old pics.

When we approached the Elephant it was laying on it's side. Looked like it was fast asleep or dying.
At first I thought it was sleeping so sat and watched then after 15min I got worried and though it was dying,as far as I know elephants don't lay down for so long. so made some noise, to see if he was sleeping or dying, clapped hands and nothing happened. His breathing was very shallow and not much chest movement. So I thought he was about to die. I opened and slammed the car door and then he quickly jumped up and looked very much alive. So I figured he was sleeping. Upon returning to the park in 2010 just 500m from where I saw this sighting I see there is an elephant skeleton. Wondering if its the same elephant.

Any help to ID this elephant will be great. Is he still alive or was this one of his final moments.

Please see theimages at the links below.

1. http://twitpic.com/67560t
2. http://twitpic.com/6755l4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7