Skip to Content

Addo: Elephants

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra

Moderator: lion queen

anitagibbs

Re: Addo Bull ID

Unread postby anitagibbs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:47 am

Megan, you say "It's always best to be cautious around elephant bulls, especially if they are in musth" but, as someone who's never met an elephant other than in London Zoo as a child, I'd appreciate some advice on what form that caution should take.

Obviously you don't approach too close, but what if the elephant approaches you? Should you keep the car engine running so that you can quickly reverse (assuming there's neither a car nor another elephant behind you!) or would that encourage the elephant to give chase? Does it help to wind up the window so it can't smell you?

Any tips really would be most welcome! Thanks. :D
Anita

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Addo elephants are the most docile I have ever seen, but there are the bulls from Kruger.

I always keep a safe distnce, say 25 to 50 metres from them when they are on the road. I wait for them to get off it and are 8 to 10 metres into the bush facing away from the road before I proceed.

There are others braver than me, but then I have been charged and have a healthy respect for them. I never switch my engine off, unless at a waterhole, at a distance, like at Hapoor.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

anitagibbs

Unread postby anitagibbs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for your advice, BB. :thumbs_up:

I wasn't sure about leaving the engine running due to environmental concerns but, of course, safety has to come first.

I will certainly not get too close, but what about if one walks towards the car? If it doesn't appear threatening do you just sit and wait for it to pass? Presumably if you think it might charge you reverse, and hope it sees that as a sign of submission?
Anita

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 pm

In one of her posts, Jeanus, a guide in KZN, says that when surrounded by an elephant herd the best thing to do is to turn off your engine, sit quietly and avoid eye contact. Exactly the opposite of what to do when meeting a bull. Of course the best thing is to not get caught in the middle of a herd.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby HoepHoep » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 am

Hi trmorris

Addo elephants are indeed very docile and these photo's show how close you can get to them. The first one was standing no more than 1 meter in front of my car at Hapoor dam and the second photo was also taken there. Apart from the gland that Megan have pointed out, my experience is that it is very easy to determine an elephant's mood. Watch the movement of the ears, legs, tusks and the general body language and you will know when to move away or keep a safe distance.
I never had any fear to be very close to an Addo ellie, but every time I came across Skukuza, I felt that he is a difficult customer and need some space.

Image Image
The Creator is bigger than His creation!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

DANKBAAR
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DANKBAAR » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:30 am

I totally agree with you Hoephoep, Addo's ellies are normally very gently nevermind how close you get. Just don't get between a cow and her calf.
Have you ever seen Skukuza run, his fast, very fast it's like a out of control steamtrain. If it's on the road or in the veld(bushes) it doesn't matter
SPRINGBOK AND PROTEA SUPPORTER FOR EVER

anitagibbs

Unread postby anitagibbs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks Saraf, HoepHoep and DANKBAAR for your advice. I suppose really the answer is just to use common sense.

Great pics HoepHoep. The more photos I see of Addo the more excited I get about our forthcoming visit. I thought our trip to SA would never come when I booked everything last October, but it's now less than 11 weeks (or 76 sleeps!!) away, and I know that time will just fly by.
Anita

trmorris

Unread postby trmorris » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:30 am

Hi

Thanks for all the advice.Thanks Megan with the ID of the bull I had close encounter with.I must say he walks with quite a swagger. How old is he?I must reiterate what a great place ADDO was to visit.There were many highlights in our vist to SA but this was the top memory we will take back. We are already planing to get back there in 2 years time.Megan could you advise as to when is best time to visit. Especially as we would like to see some lions and rhinos(this time we did not see any of them)Image

anitagibbs

Unread postby anitagibbs » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:25 am

Would love to see your picture, trmorris, but when I try to access it it says I don't have permission. :(
Anita

trmorris

Unread postby trmorris » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Rhino regularly visit the waterhole at the main camp in the evening, except for the evenings I waited. But I did see a spottie.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

anitagibbs

Unread postby anitagibbs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:25 pm

trmorris wrote:Hi

Sorry about that. Try this link

http://community.webshots.com/user/trm_auc

Enjoy

Thanks. Some great pics there, and real aah factor with the baby ellie. 8)

There's been quite a lot about Addo on the forums recently, with some terrific TRs and photos. Makes me even more impatient for my trip!
Anita

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Addo Elephant » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:13 pm

trmorris wrote:Hi

Thanks for all the advice.Thanks Megan with the ID of the bull I had close encounter with.I must say he walks with quite a swagger. How old is he?I...Megan could you advise as to when is best time to visit. Especially as we would like to see some lions and rhinos(this time we did not see any of them

John the Kruger bull is about 31 years old (we don't have his exact date of birth as he was born in Kruger).

Rhinos are usually seen in the late afternoon if they come out onto the plains or to waterholes to drink or otherwise there have been a number of sightings at the waterhole at main camp during the night. Lions are also most active in the late afternoon/early evening/night and early morning. So its not a case of best time of year, but best time of day to see lions and rhino.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

simonB

Please ID this bull.

Unread postby simonB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm

Please ID this bull seen near the lower gate just before exiting Addo.
He is HUGE! Made my Mahindra bakkie look like a toy.

He will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth" I look forward to that day. You have been warned!

Kruger: 27 April - 30 May 2012

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Addo Elephant » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 am

simonB, this looks like Winston who is about 27 years old.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

Return to “Frontier Parks”