Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Addo: Mathyolweni camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:21 pm 

Hiya, i'm trying to make a reservation in Addo for November. However we don't want to camp and all they have available is cottages in Mathyolweni. Can someone tell me the main advantages and disadvantages of Mathyolweni compared to main camp? I've heard that being in Mathyolweni means that you can't do evening or night drives because the road to main camp is closed? Is this true? Any help greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:27 am 

We have never stayed in the camp, but as we go to Addo at least twice a month, we drive through that area often. We have been into the camp and they gave us a key to have a look at the cottages - the one we saw was very nice inside. If you were coming from the PE side and time was tight, then it is nice and close to the entrance gate. The disadvantages I would think are that that area of the park has not been stocked yet, so game is not very plentiful and even though you could see warthog, some buck and of course the birds, you will not see any lions or elephant.(we also spotted a bushpig once) If you are early risers and like to be out in the veld or to sit at a drinking hole as the sun comes up, then you have quite a way to travel before you reach the first drinking hole, which is in the old section other side the gates - as it is, gates only open at 6, so a lot of that lovely time in early morning is already lost. As for night drives, I am not sure if they offer them from there- or even from the main camp?? I always feel that any accommodation in the park is better than nothing, but personally would not stay there by choice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:13 am 

Hi Scooton, keep trying for the main camp. We were in Addo in Aug and literally managed to book at the last moment when two huts became available. Mathyolweni is really lovely though and if you enjoy bird life then well worth a vist. Not a lot of the larger animals as yet but they are there (except for the elephant, lion etc.). The only night drives are from the main camp & those are organised by the camp itself and not for own vehicles. Enjoy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:55 am 

Thanks all! I have now changed the booked to one night in Mathyolweni and one night in Main Camp. Hopefully this will give us the best of both worlds! I would really like to do an evening or night game drive so this is why I have decided to do one night in Main Camp.

Can someone tell me how far it is between Mathyolweni and Main Camp?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:28 am 

Hi scooton,

Addo main camp is about 32kms from Matholweni. From Matholweni to the Addo park gate it is about 16km and then about another 16km to Addo main camp. It really is not all that far. We spent 2 nights in Addo main camp and 2 nights at Matholweni in August 2007. On the Matholweni side we saw monkeys, herons, an eagle, kudu and bush pig.

If you need any more info please let me know.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I have just returned from Addo and I would keep on trying for 2 nights in the main camp.

Visit Hapoor waterhole between 9h30 and 12h00 on hot days for wall to wall eles.

Sit at the viewing site from 20h00 to 21h30 for a chance of rhino drinking and hyena sightings.

Post subject: Matyholweni
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:20 pm 

Hi - I'm prob far too late to reply to your query! never mind, it may still be useful. This camp is a long way from the main viewing area and has no shops etc; remember to bring all your supplies with you as it will take a good hour to get to Addo main camp and back - WHEN the gate is open! The other problem is that you can really only use it for sleeping as there is nothing to occupy yourself with during the heat of the day when you just want to relax, and going to the Addo camp is too far. Great for an overnight stay for quick departure the next day as it is very close to PE - actually access to the park from this side is much easier and better as the road from PE via Addo village is VERY potholed!
Keep looking for cancellations - we have often turned up for one night and been able to stay for 2 (out of peak season of course!). Another special is the horse ride to Narina bush camp - it's very special there.
Addo is a great place - you will love it for it's unpretentiousness.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Sheila's view. Addo Main Camp is much better for game-viewing.

The cottages at Mathyolweni lovely, and the setting is very peaceful, so it's a nice place to just chill. I posted some pix of one of the cottages in the Addo: Advice thread.

Sheila, I noticed this was your first post. Welcome to the forums! :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 pm 

Thanks Restio!
Never thought about joining the forum before, but my son has asked me to see if I can get him a volunteer placement at Addo for next July/August - he loves it there. So that's why I went to the site, and then thought I may as well put my 2 pence worth in! Your extra photos of Matyholweni are really useful to potential guests as the Addo site doesn't show them off to their best.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sheila, we're a very friendly forum, and we love meeting new people. :lol: Perhaps you'll become a regular in time. :wink:

There's a whole thread about Jobs and volunteering in SANParks in the Other forum. I suggest that you have a look for your son.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:59 pm 

Appreciate that link - will check it out. Bye for now. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:45 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Sheila,
There is a volunteer programme running in the Park. You can email shaun@wei.co.za for more information. The placements are for 4 weeks or for 8 weeks and they will be involved with the daily conservation work in the Park.
Quote:
This camp is a long way from the main viewing area and has no shops etc; remember to bring all your supplies with you

There is a well-stocked supermarket where you can get all your supplies in the town of Colchester which is about 5km away from Matyholweni. BTW, the reason why the park did not build a shop, restaurant etc. at Matyholweni was to allow the community surrounding this area of the Park to benefit from the tourism business that is attracted by the Park. It is very important that communities living adjacent to national parks feel the real benefits and use of a national park to ensure its long-term sustainability.
Quote:
The other problem is that you can really only use it for sleeping as there is nothing to occupy yourself with during the heat of the day

There are some activities which are offered outisde the park for those who are interested, such as ferry cruises and canoe trails on the Sundays River and the coastline where you can walk and fish.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 am 

Thanks very much for the volunteer link - will pass that on to Tristan and he can ask if they would be able to help -appreciate that.
I absolutely agree with the reasons behind restricting the amenitiies at that end of the park - it isn't a problem for us as we usually stop at Colchester on our way to stock up our coolbox, but a new visitor to the area, with only limited time to explore, might find it easier to have everything en site, hence the recommendation to try the Main Camp.
The last time we stayed there we checked in en route through the gate and then spent the whole day in the main park, only returning to Matyholweni just before the gate closed - that worked really well.
I agree the Sundays River coastline is great for walking - we usually do that on our way home.

Post subject: Matyholweni Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We stayed at Matyholweni Camp (cottage no. 9) during our last trip.

The camp is beautiful, settled into the surrounding landscape very well. Image

The cottages are luxurious, with microwave and all appliances you need. And they are very nicely decorated as well.

Driving to Addo main camp takes about one hour, 16 km to the gate (which closed at 05:30 p.m. during our stay) and another 16 km through the game area. We were told that there are plans to move game over in 2007 (this leaves part of November and December :roll: to do this?)

If you need anything you can drive to Colchester, there's a nice Spar market, takes about 15 minutes to go there and better stocked than the shop at Addo main camp.

If you want to participate in a night drive from M camp you can do so but you have to go back via Patterson and N2 to Matyholweni (about 60 km).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 am 
Guru
Guru

Quote:
there are plans to move game over in 2007 (this leaves part of November and December

The plans have been delayed by fencing and road construction. 20 km of tourist road network will be constructed in that area of the park (starting in February) so that once the large game is there, people will be able to get around the area to actually see them :)
So, that means large game will probably only be introduced in late 2008.....but we will keep everyone updated.