Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matyholweni Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:51 pm 

The gate at Matyholweni and the main gate at Addo are a little different - they will let you in after the closing time as there is a guard at both gates.

The gates to the game area are as Sawubona says - they close to all at their appointed closing time.

Read more here

Post subject: Re: Addo: Mathyolweni camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Is there any further news on plans to stock Matyholweni side with more game?

As regards access to the game area, am I right in saying that if staying at Matyholweni Camp, guests can leave camp earlier than 6am to cover the 16km to the (southern) gate into the game area when it opens at 6am? Or can you only leave Matyholweni Camp at 6am and then have to travel the 16km's to the gate into the game area, which would put you at a disadvantage to those staying in main camp?

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:52 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi peterbee
There is a boom gate over the access road to the South Gate into the Main game area. This boom also opens at 6am so you will only be able to leave Matyholweni at 6am.

Have a look here for the discussion about stocking the Matyholweni area:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26121&start=0

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:48 pm 

Hi all. We are looking to spend a couple of nights at the end of September at Addo Elephant Park but have left it a little late with organising accommodation.

There are 5 of us (2 couples plus 1 small adult female) and the only accommodation left at the park itself (excluding camping) is at Matyholweni. I have read through the pros and cons of staying there on the forums and am weighing up whether to stay at Matyholweni or at the nearby Chrislin African Lodge B&B.

I think Matyholweni would be the most suitable for us, however there is only 1 cottage (2 person) and 1 family cottage left, and the website states that the sleeper couch in the family cottage is not suitable for adults.

Does anyone know the reason for this as the girl who would be using the couch is quite petit? If it is a policy decision to limit 2 adults to a cottage than we will have no choice but to stay at a B&B, but if it is simply that the sleeper couch isn't quite large enough for your average 6FT tall South African male then we might be ok.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:51 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi William_NZ,
The sleeper couches in the family chalets at Matyholweni are smaller and shorter than those in Addo main camp, hence we say they are not suitable for adults. However, if you are happy that the lady in question will not be uncomfortable on the couch, then you can book for 3 adults in one family unit.
You can contact Matyholweni reception on tanyav@sanparks.org to assist with any queries.

Post subject: Matyholweni Cottage CO2 with a baby?
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:47 am 

Hi,

we're going to travel next year to Addo with an infant (age 11 months). Our question is if the Cottage CO2 in the Matyholweni Rest Camp is suitable for two adults with a toddler? Because for our dates the family cottages are fully booked.
Is it possible to get a cot or similar?

Andreas

Post subject: Re: Matyholweni Cottage CO2 with a baby?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:08 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Andreas,
There is a cot available at Matyholweni. Once you have made your booking, contact them on matyholweni@sanparks.org to ask for a cot to be reserved for you. It may be a bit of a tight fit in the cottage but it is possible.
Enjoy the visit!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:45 am 

Hi,

thank you for your answer. Is it also possible to reserve a cot at Addo Main Camp and Tsitsikamma? We booked already...

Andreas

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:18 pm 
Guru
Guru

Yes - for Addo email addoenquiries@sanparks.org
For Tsitsikamma - please enquire as I'm not sure of their set-up, please email reservations@sanparks.org

Post subject: MATYHOLWENI CAMP IN ADDO
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I shall appreciate it if somebody can tell me how it feels to stay at Matyholweni camp. I want to book for a week. We love the feel of the bush and privacy. Any animals around? The chalets look very impressive on the website.

Thanks
Leana :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: MATYHOLWENI CAMP IN ADDO
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:27 pm 

Hi Leana, I cannot help you with first hand info, as I have not stayed in that camp myself, but have heard only great reports about it. I believe it is really peaceful. Read here for more.

There are now buffalo in that section of the park, but the bulk of the animals are still in the main game area. If you are looking for a real feeling of being in the bush, with jackals calling at night, and the waterhole to visit at night, perhaps consider the main camp to stay in.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Dalene

I have just returned from Addo main camp, splendid. :D Unfortunately there is no accommodation for a period of 6 days at Addo at the end of March :( and Sanparks do not allow one to move from one chalet to something else within the same camp. :hmz:

Matyholweni seems to be the answer. Glad to hear about the buffalo !
Thanks again
Leana

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Leanawel wrote:
Sanparks do not allow one to move from one chalet to something else within the same camp.

I've seen people mentioning this 'rule' before but I'm not so sure that it's an official rule. I've never had any problems booking different kinds of accommodation in one camp. Last April I stayed in Addo for four nights. Two of those nights were in a chalet overlooking the waterhole and two other nights were in another chalet. This booking was made without any protest from SANP reservations.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:30 pm 

Depends who you get doing your reservation.

For a recent stay in Lower Sabie, Kruger, I requested 2 nights in a hut and 2 nights in a bungalow and was told I couldn't have it.

SO put in a similar request 2 weeks later and everything was processed OK.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:21 am 

It is worth a try Leana, what about making two separate bookings, can't you do that? - and you could always keep a look out for cancellations between now and March. I have not stayed in Matyholweni before, though have seen inside the bungalows and they are very nice - it is just, unfortunately, too far from the action for me until such time as the new section is better stocked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next