Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bobandamy - if you do go to Alexandria Forests, there are plenty of B & B's at Kenton on Sea which is about 25km away.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:44 am 
Guru
Guru

The Alexandria forest is incorporated into the park. There is a two-day hiking trail and then also a day walk of about 7km.

You would need to pay the daily conservation fee for entering the park if you wanted to do the day trail. The two-day trail has two overnight huts where hut fees apply (as well as the conservation fee).

You would definitely enjoy the forest and all it has to offer!

Post subject: Organized Game Drives in Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:15 pm 

hi, I would like to hear about your experience with organized afternoon and night game drives in addo!
- is it possible to do both of them on one day?
- do they go on different roads (or off roads) than which are allowed to be used by private cars?
thank you !! :cam:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:18 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi nosal,
Yes, it is possible to do a guided game drive as well as self-drive game vieiwng in the same day. If you are staying overnight in the park, I would recommend going on a sunset drive or night drive as you will get to be in the park when private vehicles are not allowed there, as well as see some of the nocturnal animals.
The guided game drives do sometimes use roads, such as management roads, that private vehicles may not use but this depends on where the sightings of certain animals are located. Remember that the guides often have a fairly good idea of where animals are located that day as they have been taking drives throughout the day and are in contact with each other.

Post subject: best time for game drives
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:18 pm 

Probably I can find the answer somewhere on the site, but after searching for quite some time, I thought I'd better register and just ASK....

We will be in Addo park in December. Can anybody tell me what the best time would be for a game drive ( morning, mid day, night....???? )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:28 pm 

Hi Wilma - really glad you did register and ask :D:D

If you are going to self drive - it is always advisable to leave the camp when the gates open in the morning, and to also take a drive out through the game area for the last two hours before the gates close again. I do suggest you try and book a sunset drive too and go on that.

December can get hot - so you might want to spend some time during the heat of the day in the camp, perhaps at the pool. Then again, sneaking off for a midday game drive might produce something special - one just never really knows! But the birds for example are most active early morning.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Wilma, and welcome to the forums!

DB has given you great advice. Early morning and evening are when the light is at its best, and when you're most likely to see predators.

We were in Addo in December, and found that ellies often go down to the waterholes to drink and bath in the heat of the day, so it may also be worth going for a drive then - or at least keeping an eye on the waterhole in the camp.

Post subject: Re: best time for game drives
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:59 pm 

Wilma van Hal wrote:
Probably I can find the answer somewhere on the site, but after searching for quite some time, I thought I'd better register and just ASK....

We will be in Addo park in December. Can anybody tell me what the best time would be for a game drive ( morning, mid day, night....???? )

Wow, I did expect to receive a response some time, but I did not expect that I would get it so rapidly.

Great ! Thanks for the advice !

Greetings from the Netherlands

Post subject: Horse trails
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:33 pm 

I noticed that there are two areas to go horse back riding
( Addo and Zuurberg ).
Can anybody give me some advice on what's what.
In Addo they have a special ride for experienced riders, but for Zuurberg I can't find any specifics about skills required.

In Zuurberg there is an overnight trail to Narina bushcamp which sounds exhiting, but I have no idea what to expect.

We are by the way experienced riders and like a challenge.

:?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Perhaps you could direct your question with a PM to ADDO ELEPHANT, she is the guru for ADDO park or ask her to reply on the forum for all others information. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:17 pm 
Guru
Guru

Well, Wilma, it depends what kind of experience you are looking for:
The rides that depart from main camp (Addo rides) go through the Nyati area of the park which is home to the all of the Big Five (except lions) and of course all of the other species you would find in the Park. It is fairly flat terrain so you could do some cantering as well. If you are looking for a chance of encountering elephant, buffalo, eland, zebra etc. then I would choose the 3hour afternoon ride.

The rides in Zuurberg are for more of a scenic, wilderness experience. The area is mountainous and the ride takes place through grassy fynbos and descends into afromontane forest (except the 1-hour ride will stay mostly in the fynbos area). The 3hour ride might be the best option here.

The overnight ride to Narina is a 3hour ride there (through the same vegetation as the Zuurberg rides) and then a 3hour ride back on the same trail the next morning. You would also need to book Narina Bushcamp for this option. Narina is fantastic if you want a secluded experience in the forest as only one party is booked into the camp at a time (max 8 people).

Hope that answers your question!

Post subject: Re: Horse trails
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

Thanks Megan, you're a big help !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
This is easy to answer Wilma.

If the gates are open, do self drive. If they are closed, go on a guided game drive. You will see nocturnal animals and maybe the elusive black rhino.

Post subject: Night Drives
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I thought that this NY Times article might be of some interest.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Very interesting article, well written. Robert obviously was a keen and experienced guide. :lol: The Addo report was also interesting, we have come across guide plus driver with the same result, chatter rather than silence to listen to the sounds of the night. Wonder if this is exception rather than rule? It would be lovely to go on some of the private game reserve rides but, due to cost, for the majority of us it is beyond our reach. I guess the answer is to continue to support the sanparks and all their efforts to improve their nightdrives which will still be accessible financially to everyone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next