Guru
Guru

Hi

It could be one of the following bats:
Egyptian Fruit Bat Rousettus aegypticus
Cape Horseshoe Bat Rhinolophus capensis
Cape Serotine Bat Neoromicia capensis
Egyptian Slit-faced Bat Nycteris thebaica

All of these species occur in the Addo area of the park, so it may have been any one of them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Addo Elephant wrote:
National Parks, including the Addo Elephant National Park, have a policy of only introducing species that would have occurred historically in the area. Thus, historical records are consulted before any new additions are made. This ensures that we are conserving a natural ecosystem, that is as close to the natural system or biome as possible.

One thing I really do enjoy is going to the different National Parks and KwaZulu parks (can I say that?) and seeing the animals in the areas they should be. Private Game Parks that are stocked with any old thing are little better than zoos.

I would hate to see Slender or Dwarf mongoose in Addo, but I do love them in other parks.

It will be interesting to see, when Addo is all joined up properly and the fences are all down and roads and trainlines go ......, whether the animals will stay in the areas they were re-introduced to, or whether the Wildebeest and Springbok will move over the hill in drier years.

Post subject: Re: September visit
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

terryallen wrote:
I am returning to the park in september but havent visited for a few years. Can anyone give me any hints where to find the lions or hyena at this time of year.
Also is it possible to see whales if driving by yourself or do i need to book a trip
Thanks

For lions, the night drive is your best chance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There is a nice article on Addo’s lions in the latest edition of Africa Geographic Magazine (October 2005, Vol 13 No 9)

Here is the introduction:
In September 2003, after a silence that had lasted more than 120 years, the roars of lions once again reverberated around South Africa's Addo Elephant National Park. But how would six lions from the Kalahari Transfrontier Park adjust to life in their new, considerably different home? The Addo landscape is very different from the vast, open arid redness of the Kalahari. And, more to the point, how would the residents of Addo, long unused to lions, react to them? Matt Hayward has spent the past two years finding out.

There does not seem to be an online version of this article

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

[quote="The Herald Online"]PORT ELIZABETH Friday October 7, 2005

Addo buffalo to shift out of predators’ way

By Guy Rogers Environment & Tourism Editor

SURPLUS buffalo from Addo’s precious disease-free population are being moved to safe camps to rebuild stocks, after incurring heavy losses to recently introduced lions and hyenas.

As the largest population in the country free both of bovine TB and foot-and-mouth, the 450 buffalo at the Addo Elephant National Park are worth about R160 000 each, in financial terms, and even more in terms of sustaining the species – a true blue member of the Big Five.

SANParks social ecologist Megan Bradfield, said yesterday that Addo’s management team had no intention of “removingâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can listen to Dr Matt Hayward talking to Angela Catterns here.

http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/stories/s1370198.htm

I will forgive him for describing the scenery as dull :!:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
There is a nice article on Addo’s lions in the latest edition of Africa Geographic Magazine (October 2005, Vol 13 No 9)

Here is the introduction:
In September 2003, after a silence that had lasted more than 120 years, the roars of lions once again reverberated around South Africa's Addo Elephant National Park. But how would six lions from the Kalahari Transfrontier Park adjust to life in their new, considerably different home? The Addo landscape is very different from the vast, open arid redness of the Kalahari. And, more to the point, how would the residents of Addo, long unused to lions, react to them? Matt Hayward has spent the past two years finding out.

There does not seem to be an online version of this article

Very nice article indeed and interesting to learn that there is actually only one known leopard in the park. I'm wondering if there are more of them and if not, if there are plans to reintroduce them as well.

Salva

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:30 am 
Guru
Guru

There is one known leopard in the main game area of Addo, a 13 500 hectare area but many more in the other regions of the park.

Leopards occur in the Zuurberg mountains and foothills, and although they are not often seen, evidence such as spoor (and the occasional sighting) is common. The Zuurberg area of the park has been protected since 1896 so there are probably quite a few leopards here.

A couple of years ago, an adult male leopard was found in a snare on a farmer's property adjoining the Colchester area of the park. Nobody thought leopards occurred in this area which suggests that perhaps there are more leopards, with a wider distribution, than we thought.

Leopards also occur in the Woody Cape area of Addo, in the Alexandria forests.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@ Megan

How are the Twins, the two black Rhino calves and Lion cubs developing?
I haven't heard any news recently.
Are they alright?

katy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lion cubs! :shock: I didn't know there were any on this moment in Addo. Please tell me this is really the case! I'm going there in november and it would be lovely to see them.

Salva

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello Salva!

Yes, have a looks at this....

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2523

Maybe you are lucky during your stay :wink:

katy

Post subject: ADDO Variety
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Many people go to Addo only looking for Elephants.
ADDO is so much more than just a big Elephant Zoo.
There is a huge variety of animals, reptiles & birds to be seen in Addo.
So often we have a car stop next to us and ask: 'have you seen elephants' or lately 'have you seen any lion'...
I sometimes feel like telling them: 'Don't worry about the Elephant or Lion, just drive slowly and enjoy what you see, big or small'
Some of my sightings can be found here http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4368
I have lots of pics, and it'll hopefully be an ongoing process of updating the link. There's 19 for now, but I'm converting/shrinking etc. more pics.

And for those that only want to see Elephants. Go to Hapoor Dam at around 10:30. Alternate between Hapoor and Spekboom between 10:30 and 12:30 and you are bound to see Elephants there. We have spotted them there the last 4 weekends.

The Meerkats can be found early morning around Domkrag dam and Nzipondo loop

Enjoy the pics...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:24 pm 

I agree..... people should learn to enjoy the bush and not purely the sightings...... I can just sit at a waterhole and merely be there...... that recharges my batteries better than anything else on earth......

Addo is great. Went there last year December for the first time in my life - enjoyed it so much so that I'm going back there in 6 weeks' time....... :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:14 pm 

Yes, Addo is great, but PLEASE don't tell everybody. Addo is becoming so popular. No longer can I decide on a Monday that I want to go camping the coming weekend, as it is fully booked. You have to decide at least 4 weeks in advance ! !

Since they have tarred some of the roads, the other animals eat closer to the road. We see so many kudu, eland, buffalo etc these days.

Camping grounds are great. The gravel was a good idea. No more dust or sand, and the spekboom partitions makes if private and you feel like you are in the bush.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HS wrote:
Yes, Addo is great, but PLEASE don't tell everybody. Addo is becoming so popular. No longer can I decide on a Monday that I want to go camping the coming weekend, as it is fully booked. You have to decide at least 4 weeks in advance ! !

The campsite at Addo is very full, and often quite loud. A second campsite is becoming a necessity.

My choice would be something more rustic, i.e. no electricity - it really makes camps quieter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next