Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Windy conditions in Karoo NP
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 pm 

We stayed in the chalets at KNP from 13 to 15 sep and the wind never stopped once. Is this normal for this time of the year? We almost saw a lion.the vehicle in front of us saw a lion walk into the bush about 500m from the staff quarters.

Post subject: Re: Windy conditions in Karoo NP
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:38 am 

That area can be pretty windy

No mountains to stop the wind picking up speed.

Interestingly wind is measured on the Beaufort scale, and the town is called Beaufort West.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 am 

We stayed there in 2009 and for a few days the wind didn't stop. In the campsite it was pretty sheltered but we went out for one night to the remote cottage and we thought we were going to be blown away. Unbelievable wind howling around the house all night.
Still love the park though :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Karoo is not for sissies :mrgreen:

A few years ago we were in Shingwedzi for three nights. Knowing that you get good quality steaks in the northern areas of our country, we bought rump steaks at a well known butchery in Tzaneen for all three nights. at a certain stage you could not buy decent braai wood in Kruger, so I bought three bags of good bushveld braai wood in Phalaborwa. When we entered the park that morning it was a bit coolish.

A wind (that we don't have experience about in Kruger) came up early eveningin Shingwedzi. I said to the SO that there is no way that we can light a fire. We took our pan and went to the outdoor kitchen (not having cooking favilities at our accommodation) and fried our first night's steak in the pan. Later that night it started raining. And it rained non-stop until we left the park at Punda Maria gate. We had no chance to light a fire and every night we prepared our steak in a pan at the open kitchen.

We drove all the way in the rain to Pretoria and after sleeping over with relatives we visited another well-known South African tourist facility for 3 nights before where we had dinner in the restaurant every night. We started our return journey and stayed over at a self catering resort where i once again bought a fantastic rump steak in the nearby town to braai that evening (we still had 3 bags of bushveld wood. As we were leaving the town towards the resort, it started raining. And the rain came down right through the night so that we were forced to prepare our rump steak once again in a pan.

The next day we headed for Karoo National Park as our next sleep over point. I said to the SO that we are now entering Karoo lamb area and we stopped in Hopetown to buy some lamb chops and boerewors (sausage) to braai at our chalet that night. The nearer we came to Beaufort West, the stronger the wind became. I have experienced many windy nights in Karoo National Park during my more than 40 visits. But I have never experienced the wind we had that night. Needless to say, we could not dare to light a fire and prepared our lamb chops and boerewors in a pan. And we arrived home in the Cape with 3 bags of lovely bushveld wood.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:02 pm 

Stoffel, can you remember what time of the year it was ? We have camped once in September in Karoo and the rest was done in April/May/June without experiencing strong winds.
Soon in early May 2014 we will be there again.

Len

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 pm 

Len Loader wrote:
Stoffel, can you remember what time of the year it was ? We have camped once in September in Karoo and the rest was done in April/May/June without experiencing strong winds.
Soon in early May 2014 we will be there again.

Len

April/May/June best time of the year in the cape.
November to March windy period. Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Len

That was during October. And if my memory does not fail me, it was in 2002.

We were camping in the park for two weeks during May 2013. The evenings were sometimes a bit coolish, but most of the days were perfect sunny late autumn/early winter days. My first camping visit to the park was in 1994 (when I started caravaning) in June - on our way to Kruger. I can remember that was also quite an unpleasant windy night.